It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UAP vs UFO.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This has probably been mentioned here before, but is anyone else here kind of amazed at how quickly the term UFO was sort of phased out for UAP? I'm not sure who the first person was that used the new term, but I know Hillary Clinton used it and after that its like it was everywhere overnight. In my opinion, I feel like the name change was kind of a cop out. I guess because UFO was used for so long and stigmatized, that in order for the government to admit that yes they are real, they had to come up with a new name, but it's crazy to me how quickly the new change in nomenclature was accepted by the UFO community. I know this is a bit nitpicky, but I can't help but feel a little annoyed by this.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: cdf21882

UAP does not imply flying objects, many sighting can't be considered flying objects. They are aerial phenomenons...

It's a more inclusive term that doesn't exclude a certain reality to the phenomenon...

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 10:58 AM
link   
An 'I don't know what it is' vs an 'I don't know what it is'. Sounds the same to me. Neather one implies space aliens or anything.

Oh, there was that UFO TV series where the aliens were harvesting Earthlings for body part replacements. That one was really good.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I can't help but feel a little annoyed by this.

I get it, felt a bit that way myself in first hearing it. Was like trying to erase all the previous UFO reports and history with the name change.

As for what prompted this change of terms is to help classify the different reports between space, (USP), orbit(UOP), air(UAP) and marine(UMP). While some of these unknown phenomena can easily transition between these different environments, others are more exclusive to a single environment.

This kind of naming system also allows for expansion into other areas like electromagnetic(UEP), biological(UBP) and psychological(UPP). In trying to put together the jigsaw picture of how reality works, just have to find those matching pieces one at a time.

edit on 24-6-2024 by kwaka because: changed some definitions.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 11:27 AM
link   

To be expected really as the perception management budget must be huge.
The number of media platforms, outlets, podcasts, Op-eds and talking heads all singing from the same UAP hymn sheet is astounding.

You are right though- people being lead around by the nose by the very people who definitely lied either way (for decades- ET or no ET) should hang their heads in shame.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Historically…I believe ….it was in the U.K. that “UAP” first was coined and defined as Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon …..below is screenshots from an MOD IDS report published in December 2000

It was NASA in recent times…I believe …that changed the meaning of the “A” to mean Anomalous.

Here’s NASA’s continued use of the British term and meaning…..

Unidentified Aerial Phenomena Independent Study Team Terms of Reference

Then for their official report they started using Anomalous instead of Ariel.

NASA UAP

👽
edit on 24-6-2024 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 11:36 AM
link   

The British MOD have been using the term UAP since at least the 1950's.

AIR 20/9994 Headquarters Southern Section Intelligence. Reports on Aerial Phenomena, including "observation of unusual aerial phenomena at Royal Air Force Ventor on 29 July 1957". Two Copies of "Track Tracing" Sheets.

hansard.parliament.uk...

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The term UAP has been around for a few decades and was used in official communications as early as the 60s because the term UFO had gained an association with meaning "Aliens" , I think the use of it now as a replacement for UFOs is also likely because of the stigma attached to the UFO subject.

I don't think it matters what we call them as we still don't know what some of them are.
edit on 24-6-2024 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Thanks…. I stand corrected on how far back the term and acronym went…..but I did get the country right 😄🍻

I’ve added….NASA’s usage UAP history to my previous post

👽
edit on 24-6-2024 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

Thanks…. I stand corrected on how far back the term and acronym went…..but I did get the country right 😄🍻

No issues with that at all. You're welcome.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I thought USP was unidentified submerged phenomenon as opposed to unidentified space phenomenon. Too many phenomena for my liking.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosOMegas

I thought USP was unidentified submerged phenomenon as opposed to unidentified space phenomenon. Too many phenomena for my liking.

That is what I initially thought as well. It might be too? It can get confusing using acronyms and not sure of any official standard on these other domains.
edit on 24-6-2024 by kwaka because: grammer

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I think the modern usage of the term comes from the part where "they" did a good gaslighting job on the public making eveyrone think of little green men from mars and stupid trailer park folk associated with the term UFO. Now that they are forced to admit there is something to this due to the part where to many sigtings are being reported, they needed to scrub the immage a bit.

Sure they are still #tard idiots who would sell their mother into sex slavery for a few bucks, but at least they are treating the UAP thing as real.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Maybe you should wonder if many in "the UFO" community might be shills for TPTB pushing the new term? Not so much the older generation of UFO buffs such as myself that refuse to switch, but those that have sprung up in the last few years with all sorts of verbalization but nary anything you could believe as the truth.

Eventually, as our government solidly recognizes the ships being genuine and filled with aliens in about another hundred years or so, the shift must come when we use a very positive non-negative, general term for the word "extraterrestrials."

You must understand that the term ET is an exclusionary term from our present point of view, and racist to the extreme! So if we look ahead that term will be banned, probably by us and the overlords. --Wait! Is "overlords" a mild enough term for controllors of over the earth? Maybe we will given the chance to vote on it. Perhaps, they will tell us what to call them, maybe from their individual star system or collectively. --I like the term "neighbor."

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well, technically speaking, the term UAP probably makes more sense than UFO...technically speaking.

BUT...the very notion that the federal government ever did something which actually made sense is so astonishing that I'm not even going to go there!

Instead, I'll go with..."UAP just sounded mo' bangin'!"...for Fiddy Benjamin's, Alex.

edit on 6/24/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I like UAP. UFO automatically makes many assume ETs.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I was using UAP in the 1980s and when I got on the Internet early UFO forums. No one else gravitated to that more realistic term and "flying saucers" was so passe. Look for me, Skeptical Ed

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Domains of Unknown Phenomena:

Air: Between sea or land level and a height of 100km above the Earth.
Orbit: Between a height of 100km above the Earth and the distance to the Moon.
Sea: Within the body of water connected to the global oceans.
Land: Within the land mass of the Earth.

Outer Space:

Mass: Contains the Sun, planets, moons and other large bodies within the solar system.
Helio: Within the electromagnetic influence of the Sun not yet defined.
Galactic: Between the Heliosphere of Sol and the edge of the Milky Way galaxy.
Intergalactic: Between the edge of the Milky Way galaxy and the rest of the known universe.
Time: Beyond known temporal passage.

Inner Space:

Biological: Within microbiological processes. Includes spontaneous combustion, genetic divergence and miracle healing.
Psychological: Within cognitive processors. Includes MPD/DID, OBE, NDE, Memory, Consciousness, Spirituality.
Composite: Within molecular processes. Includes chemistry, crystals, alloys. isotypes, smell, quantum mechanics.
Energy: Within thermodynamic processes. Includes EMF, temperature, radiation, economy, flow of power.
Dimensional: All other domains not yet defined. Includes unknown.

In how we progress through the unknowns, this is a guide. With many of the documents around these topics still locked up under national security who really knows? Each department does their own thing. With ATS a part of the open source community it is a place to find some common ground.

When using acronyms it is standard practice to capitalize the term at the start of the document. Eg Unidentified Flying Object before using the short term UFO. Reference in the appendix also works when using an acronym short hand. There are a lot of acronyms and easy to get lost and confused in communication,

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I must be having a Mandela moment because the first time I encountered the acronym UAP it stood for unidentified anomalous phenomena.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I agree. It's insane how easily led people are on so many things. I've seen that firsthand in my hometown. We had a pretty significant UFO sighting here that made national news and as soon as the "official" explanation came out, it was just forgotten. Crazy.

a reply to: Jukiodone

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join