It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would it be possible to survive with no sun .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Two things come to mind that could be the cause of a sudden onset extreme planetary cooling event.

One is a large enough meteor strike. The atmospheric disturbance and the debris from the impact has caused a nuclear winter type reaction for the planet in the past. This was apparently what caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Another is volcanic activity. Enough volcanic eruptions could also cause the onset of another ice age. Enough ash in the atmosphere could block the sun and cause enough cloud formation to get us there.

There are other theories as to the mechanisms by which these sudden cooling events have occurred in the past, but all of the specifics elude my memory at the moment.

The geological record does show that we've had many ice ages in the past, and that this is a cyclical occurrence. Not a matter of if, but when.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: badcabbie

Technically we are living through an ice age.

In an interglacial period known as the Holocene.

Which began approximately 11,700 years ago.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

The Sun is the primary source of energy and heat for our planet.

Without its presence, there goes photosynthesis for a start.

Then there would be the almost immediate temperature drop,

The surface of the oceans would freeze and most life forms would not survive.

I suppose some extremophiles might persist in the likes of geothermal hotspots or deep-sea hydrothermal vents for a while.

As to the rest of life on the planet, i would not hold out much hope without our star.

See this is where the deep bunker comes in and it's location to a under ground freshwater resistor also natural gas deposit - Wouldn't hurt to have a Nuclear reactor to enable underground hydroponics even aquaponics . If the core is still active you should be able to achieve a temperate zone , But you would need to make meds and repair items . As far as sewage it can be composted it would have to be a large compost area it could even aid in heat you could also breed the bugs that break it down as food I guess - I think it would be fully possible to live without the Sun for sometime . If we plan on interstellar travel for years at a time and have a concept that would make it possible like "Star trek" then it should be fully possible to live without the Sun .
edit on 24-6-2024 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I also think it would be also possible to live in DUMBS for a spell.

But without a star to provide the light and heat the planet requires to sustain photosynthesis.

I dont imagine they would be coming up/out too much.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 06:55 AM
link   
AIR.
"How many plants do you need to breathe? TESTED"
www.youtube.com...

300+ Snake plants or 120+ gallons of algae.
plants need light and fans. water not a lot.
Or
Algae need lots of lighe and air pumps and fans.
Lots and lots of water! this is for each person!
I would use both.

Food. maybe Algae.

Base.
Power Geothermal power plant in Iceland.
Water. Be amazed by these 10 underground lakes in Iceland.
www.redbull.com...

Deepest tunnels in iceland, the Hvalfjörður Tunnel.
A tunnel under a fjord, the Hvalfjörður Tunnel, is among the longest underwater road tunnels in the world, and goes as deep as 165 m (541 ft) below sea level. Hvalfjörður Tunnel is 5,770 m (18,930 ft) long, and reaches a depth of 165 m (541 ft) below sea level.

So some of the work has already be done in Iceland.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Yes, you could probably survive for some time in an underground base without a sun if properly prepared. Seems an unlikely scenario though. Chances are the sun isn't going anywhere, nor is the planet going anywhere in regards to its position relative to the sun.

A "nuclear winter" type scenario, on the other hand, due to a nuclear exchange, meteor strike, tectonic plate shift, sufficient geological activity, solar activity, and/or other cause, is not all that unlikely over a long enough time period. Such an event could certainly occur during our lifetimes, or even next week for that matter.

The big trick would be staying warm, and living in a dwelling that would not collapse under the weight of snow and ice that would accumulate on and around it. An in ground home might suffice if it were well enough built. A well stocked pantry, means of filtering/purifying water, preferably a means of growing some food indoors. A well equipped fallout shelter should work just fine.

Chances are a nuclear winter type event is only going to last for half a year to a year or two as far as I know. The other trick to surviving such an event though, of course, is being in a location that isn't underneath a mile thick field of ice once the reglaciation slows down. If you wind up under the ice, you're probably going to have a hell of a time getting out of there. Chances are you'd suffocate from lack of air unless you were able to dig out often enough to maintain ventilation.

Edit to add:
a reply to: Scratchpost

Agree, algae could be a great way to produce oxygen to breathe, and can also be a very nutritious and not too difficult to produce source of food.
edit on 25-6-2024 by badcabbie because: see edit

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 07:48 AM
link   
We get A Great deal of Heat from IN the Earth.
I dont think they real know what makes the heat.

It could be Very heavy metals at the earths core.
making a nuclear reaction.
or gravity form the sun and planets.

So we could live for 100's of years with No sun.

only problem I see it any base they build will FILL with rubbish/waste.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Scratchpost

We get A Great deal of Heat from IN the Earth.
I dont think they real know what makes the heat.

My understanding being the heat inside the Earth(geothermal heat) comes from several sources.

Like the residual heat from the planet's formation, radioactive decay, gravitational compression, and tidal forces that are exerted.

Scientists have a good understanding of these sources and how they contribute to the Earth's internal heat.

Not that a better understanding of the dynamics of Earth's interior would not be desirable.

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

"
I've been thinking about how we have found animals that have been flash frozen with food still in their mouths"

Hmmm never heard they found anything with food in their mouths still. That's sounds interesting do you got a link to this information? How many animals did they find flash frozen with food in the mouth still?

posted on Jun, 25 2024 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The Hopi.
The "ant" ppl.
Whats does "anu-nakki" translates into emglish from the tounge of the Hopi?

Had a baby mantis decide my head was ideal for who knows what about two weeks ago. My friend spotted it, snapped a photo, and i slowly walked until under a mesquite tree for it to continue its journey.

My friend calls me a.wizard for various reasons. He said "ill chalk this up to your wizardry". ..hopefully it was random happenstance. The anu choose/appear to those they deem who will be taken for safety while/during the time the surface is too dangerous for the survival of human.

The creation myth of the "San"(South African bushman) may shed light upon the anu, the mantis, mankind, ELE(s), amd perhaps the symbotic/mutual benefit of surface and subterranean life. ...sentient.

*try having the absence of any "N'T" in replies plz.
*not cant dont wont shouldn't wouldnt couldnt, they are so very bound placing.
*you want to be a "can" person as compared to the inverse...dont(pun intended) you?

Use to go by emp-(perhaps undescor)89.
..password issue.

-Peace&Respect-

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 05:32 PM
link   
If animals were suddenly flash frozen, I could speculate that a scenario like in the movie 2012 happened where our plates suddenly shifted and polar regions suddenly shifted. Cold Arctic air suddenly placed over a tropical land mass could cause sudden freezing.

As far as our planet with no sun, I can think of some scenarios although very low probability. One is the possibility of another star coming very close to our sun and causing such a gravitational disruption that our planet travels out of our solar system and we lose the sun. Earth could become a rogue planet with no sun.

Another scenario is similar but instead of a star, a small black hole or singularity with enough mass like a star causes the same gravitational distortion and either causes the Earth to become a rogue planet or the Earth goes into orbit around the black hole as the black hole travels without a star through the galaxy.

Other possibilities could include some unknown technologies that could potentially turn off fusion inside a star or cause so much disruptions to the sun, that it goes dark. I don’t know what could do that but believe within a thousand years, someone might discover a way to destroy star systems instead of just a planet. Maybe some sort of energy blast on a massive scale inside a star that causes a massive expansion of the gases within a star that results in a long term shut down of the fusion process.

Without a star, life on Earth I believe would die off. Our molten core could supply energy for a long time but our entire eco system would stop working and we would need some type of self sustaining space ship like structure to keep a functional eco system to maintain a society for any great length of time. If we had developed interstellar travel to other star systems with habitat life, it would be much easier to travel and start over. Usually in all the science fiction movies space ships get supplied with food fuel, etc, from planets instead of lifeless asteroids.

5 years on board a star ship would be a lot different than a star ship designed to last generations and then you would likely have limited people and limited assets on board such a ship. Just my thoughts.

I suppose another way we could lose our sun is a black hole collides with our sun and ends up swallowing it absorbing a majority of the fuel that our sun uses to keep fusion going. If someone or some alien species can create or move a small singularity or black hole that has a capability to grow, then shot it into a star such as our sun, that could be a solar system weapon of mass destruction for all life in the solar system.
edit on 26-6-2024 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2024 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheMisguidedAngel
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

"
I've been thinking about how we have found animals that have been flash frozen with food still in their mouths"

Hmmm never heard they found anything with food in their mouths still. That's sounds interesting do you got a link to this information? How many animals did they find flash frozen with food in the mouth still?

It was in Siberia they found Mammoths in a huge pile like a tidal wave of frozen water happened and the report was they had flowers still fresh in their mouths that shows the temps were warmer for that species than our previous thoughts on them.

Bing search didn't bring it up, but it was reported a couple of decades ago. The meat was served to dogs who had no issues eating it.

here is some proof they were usable for food after being flash frozen.
What happens to meat frozen 35000 years

edit on 26000000313020246America/Chicago06pm6 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join