It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would it be possible to survive with no sun .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I've been thinking about how we have found animals that have been flash frozen with food still in their mouths.

How can this happen did the Sun suddenly have a black out or did something large enough block it out for a bit for the sake of argument Planet X or did we lose our atmosphere for a moment during a pole reversal event ? (Just trying to create conversation)

Now how can modern man survive an event like any of the above ?

I say it's possible but would take tons of money and a lot of planning my theory would be as follows

You would need to build a deep bunker but this bunker would need to be in a location that you had access to a large natural gas deposit and a large freshwater resistor ,

Could it get so cold that even natural gas would freeze if so we would need a nuclear reactor because i'm sure the ground water would freeze .

Just thinking on a Saturday lol

"Would the Earth freeze without the sun?
If the sun was still there, but just stopped emitting light and heat, we would stay in orbit. All of Earth would be in permanent darkness; the air and oceans would retain warmth for some time, but all life would eventually freeze to death"

edit on 22-6-2024 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

This is an interesting thing to be thinking about. I dont think it could be something just blocking out the sun for a little bit. Would have to be flash freeze type situation with food frozen in their mouth. Like instant freeze. What could cause that on earth that we know of? Sudden really bad polar vortex storm?

What if other dimensions or maybe time travel are real and maybe there are mammoths and stuff still in other dimensions and they used one as a test subject for time travel or teleportation and it ended up landing at the wrong time maybe earth was super cold already and it just landed here and instantly froze. Mysteries of the unknown universe!
edit on 22-6-2024 by Shoshanna because: can't spell

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 01:10 PM
link   
So it would take a couple years if we remained in orbit if we remained in orbit would the core freeze overtime I wouldn't think so as long as orbit and earths pressure remained intact .

However it would only take around 5 min with out atmosphere Interesting to think about if something disrupted our atmosphere it would repair its self but at the time we would be subject to the vacuum of space .

I need to go back to school lol

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 01:23 PM
link   

"I've been thinking about how we have found animals that have been flash frozen with food still in their mouths.

How can this happen did the Sun suddenly have a black out or did something large enough block it out for a bit for the sake of argument Planet X or did we lose our atmosphere for a moment during a pole reversal event ? (Just trying to create conversation) "

There are weather events that can cause temperatures to plunge to the point of freezing animals including humans, while the sun is still active.
If we lost our atmosphere, I suspect anything not hooked to a SCUBA tank, or similar, would likely pass from oxygen deprivation.

"Could it get so cold that even natural gas would freeze if so we would need a nuclear reactor because i'm sure the ground water would freeze . "

In theory, without the sun, Earth would become as cold (or colder) than the furthest planets in our solar system.

You answer your own questions in your musings. But I appreciate the what if scenario, as a thought experiment.

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 02:02 PM
link   

While perhaps fun to consider, the scenario you describe could never happen. First, there would need to be an event to cause the Sun to be extinguished, and as the Universe goes, the death of a star is about the most violent series of events the human mind can comprehend next to the Big Bang. A satellite orbiting as close to our sun as Earth does would likely be destroyed by such an event. Our sun doesn't really have enough mass to go through the super-nova to black hole cycle (which would eclipse the entire solar system), but it will likely become a red giant when it exhausts its fuel. Depending on the diameter of the red giant, it will likely expand outside of the Earth's orbit and the Earth will be incinerated in the process. It will be a "couple" years before this happens though. So, the sun going out like a light switch won't happen next Thursday (as predicted by some).

Aside from the Sun being "turned off" about the only two other things which could cause a extreme cold event would be another iceage (which is impossible because Algore's head would go super-nova and keep us all warm, until he turned into a black hole) (j/k.), or an event so catastrophic that the Earth's atmosphere was vaporized. Such an event could be something like a massive meteor strike, but the devastating effects of the impact alone would likely wipe out life on Earth in a few days if not immediately.

Could something like DNA survive in the frozen darkness of what would quickly become interstellar space (in the absence of our Sun)? Hard to say, but I suppose it's possible. That temperature is around 40 degrees below Absolute Zero, or -505 F, where molecular activity is reduced to a zero-point energy state. The challenge there is, this won't be a "couple week" cold spell; it could be a billion years before the frozen material is exposed to conditions suitable for reanimation.

We will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. 😁

edit on 6/22/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I think one theory for the flash frozen mamut is giant hurricanes that reach the mesosphere.
in the eye of those hurricanes the freezing cold air of down to -100°C from up there drops down to the ground and flash freezes everything...
If it was a global event, I'm guessing it would leave traces even in the petrified skeletons of those that didn't remain frozen...
Earth has frozen over, check out snowball earth. It doesn't take much...

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The challenge there is, this won't be a "couple week" cold spell; it could be a billion years before the frozen material is exposed to conditions suitable for reanimation.

Spores could do it...

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 02:25 PM
link   
On a related note, speaking of animal life quickly freezing and then staying frozen for hundreds or thousands of years. If you take a place like Antarctica for example, Antarctica despite being one giant block of ice actually receives very little precipitation. In fact, if I'm not mistaken it is one of the driest places on Earth. The snow you see in Antarctica is really just blowing around from the wind; it's not really snowing. So, if a creature got caught in such a storm they would quickly freeze, and then be buried by snow and ice for potentially thousands of years. Take, for example, the failed 1914 Antarctic expedition of Sir Ernest Shackelton who, along with his crew, were stranded in Antarctica for nearly 3 years. Much of their expedition was consumed by ice, and nearly 90 years later in the 1990's their shore settlement was discovered buried in the ice as they had left it.

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 02:40 PM
link   

From what I've read in the past, life could continue deep under ground for a couple million years after the sun was hypothetically snuffed out.

I think that would mostly be different types of fungi. As for people? I wouldn't put it longer than 100 years or so.

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

From what I've read in the past, life could continue deep under ground for a couple million years after the sun was hypothetically snuffed out.

I think that would mostly be different types of fungi. As for people? I wouldn't put it longer than 100 years or so.

I think if the core kept going and we found a habitable zone temp wise incorrectly we could continue as a race but it would have to be a massive undertaking and everyone working together . It's should be a project the human race is working on now not just in case of solar activity or lack of there are many things that can wipe us from memory .
edit on 22-6-2024 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Probably off-topic carzyness, but I often look to ancient legends for clues to explain the past mysteries and the direction humanity seems to be headed. I use Ecclesiastes 1:9 "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun." to free my mind for the 'what ifs'.

IF the world has hed advanced civilizations in the past that suddenly came to an end, how did they happen and could it happen again?

Hopi legends are some of my favorite to consider, and there are many more ancient legends and writings that add support to their stories.

According to the legend, the Ant People were a group of beings who lived underground, and were known for their industrious nature and cooperative spirit. They were said to have built elaborate underground cities, with intricate networks of tunnels and chambers. The Ant People were also believed to possess advanced knowledge and technology, which they used to help the Hopi people in times of need.

The legend tells the story of a great catastrophe that destroyed the world, known as the “First World”. The Hopi people were forced to flee to the underground cities of the Ant People, where they were sheltered and fed until the danger had passed. The Ant People taught the Hopi people how to store food and survive in the harsh underground environment.
[marcuswynne.com...]

The Hopi aren't the only indigenous peoples to have legends of 'other-worldly' helpers.

The Hopi Prophecies, which have been written about by white men telling second hand sacred knowledge, in a nut-shell go like this: the white man (Western Civilization) has been ruining the planet and disrupting the sacred ways. There are ten specific prophecies and each except for the last have been fulfilled. The Hopi Prophecies, which have been 100% accurate thus far, predict that if the white race (Western Civilization) doesn’t change it’s materialistic ways that the world will end in fire.

I decided to google 'Could a nuclear holocaust cause an instant ice age' and AI says:

A nuclear holocaust could potentially cause a significant cooling of the planet, leading to an “instant ice age” or a “nuclear winter.” While the idea of an “instant ice age” might seem extreme, some studies suggest that a nuclear war could cause a rapid cooling of the planet

More of the Hopi legend makes sense in this context:

Specifically, the final war, World War 3, will start in the counties that first received The Light: India, China, the Entire Middle East. That it will be a nuclear war, and the United States will not survive as a political entity, that in fact much of the very ground of the North American continent will be destroyed and poisoned by fall out. There will be refuges, safe places, and those of good heart will be drawn to those places before The Event takes place.
And that there will be Rescuers.

"those of good heart will be drawn to those places before The Event takes place.
And that there will be Rescuers". The Hopi version of the rapture?

I'm kind of partial to Chan Thomas' theory myself.

So many clues, so few answers.

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 04:55 PM
link   

No , I would Die without a Tan ........

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Without the sun, we would be as cold as space and a nifty looking cue ball of ice.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I think the "frozen" animals was proven to be a massive tectonic shift, ie. Your living in a temperate zone and in a few moments your technically on the Pole.
As for surviving no Sun that's another matter. You can put it inexactly the same scenario of a massive nuclear war and certain people retreating to bunkers.
They might, I say might, live their lives out but future survival is very very sci/fi. Just think of the logistics. Food? Yeah, you could put up decades or centuries of food, but water? That would only be the first thing, but what people don't understand living underground, whether a bunker or a cave system, the more people (well you have to have a certain amount of people for viable population) you have the more sewerage you have to get rid of. Remember under both scenarios you cannot come to the surface.
This was a question that I never saw answered about Derenkuyu. They showed sleeping quarters, cooking quarters and general meeting quarters but no toilet facilities. Getting rid of vast amounts of sewerage waste is no easy matter.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The 1st 45min of The Day After Tomorrow comes to mind.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Imagine the sun does a powerful blast towards earth, the atmosphere on the side of the planet gets compressed and pushed around the planet to the atmosphere on the sides of the earth race around towards the back of the planet, so there is more atmosphere at the back. A high pressure zone at the back. Low pressure at the front facing the sun. Then what happens is an equalising event where the higher pressure atmosphere at the back of the earth races around to the front of the earth. When gasses go from high pressure to low pressure, it creates a cooling event. Think your deodorant spray cans. Spray your deodorant for a minute and feel how cool it becomes.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 11:40 PM
link   

2 ways this can happen. First being they fall into a crevasse and get stuck. The second is during a snow storm the snow piles around them holding them up until they freeze completely. Making it look like they were just walking along and froze.

Without the sun within a week all life above ground would be dead.
edit on 6/23/24 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher
I've been thinking about how we have found animals that have been flash frozen with food still in their mouths.

How can this happen did the Sun suddenly have a black out or did something large enough block it out for a bit for the sake of argument Planet X or did we lose our atmosphere for a moment during a pole reversal event ? (Just trying to create conversation)

Now how can modern man survive an event like any of the above ?

I say it's possible but would take tons of money and a lot of planning my theory would be as follows

You would need to build a deep bunker but this bunker would need to be in a location that you had access to a large natural gas deposit and a large freshwater resistor ,

Could it get so cold that even natural gas would freeze if so we would need a nuclear reactor because i'm sure the ground water would freeze .

Just thinking on a Saturday lol

"Would the Earth freeze without the sun?
If the sun was still there, but just stopped emitting light and heat, we would stay in orbit. All of Earth would be in permanent darkness; the air and oceans would retain warmth for some time, but all life would eventually freeze to death"

We would not stand a snowballs chance in hell without a Sun.

If we had tech to make an artificial sun and keep our world warm without one we would be a super intelligent species but a super cold universe near absolute zero will eventually win if the source of energy depletes.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ravenwatcher

How can this happen

They fell into a peat bog, drowned, and their bodies froze into the permafrost.

posted on Jun, 24 2024 @ 05:44 AM
link   

The Sun is the primary source of energy and heat for our planet.

Without its presence, there goes photosynthesis for a start.

Then there would be the almost immediate temperature drop,

The surface of the oceans would freeze and most life forms would not survive.

I suppose some extremophiles might persist in the likes of geothermal hotspots or deep-sea hydrothermal vents for a while.

As to the rest of life on the planet, i would not hold out much hope without our star.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join