It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herd of Wild Elk Adopt a Lost Donkey in California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Outdoorsman Max Fennell was out and about a few miles from Clear Lake when he spotted a group of Elk +1 Donkey , he thought it was pretty cool so posted it on social media where it was seen by the owners of the Donkey,

The Donkey , known as "Diesel" was lost earlier this month during a hiking trip with his owners who searched for him but had to admit he was lost , now to their relief they know "Diesel" is healthy and happy with a new family.

Then hiker Max Fennell spotted the herd earlier this month, describing the donkey as "happy and healthy", and posted his film on social media.

"It was amazing. It was like, oh my gosh. Finally, we saw him. Finally, we know he's good. He's living his best life. He's happy. He's healthy, and it was just a relief," Mrs Drewry said.

The elk herd is a few miles away from where Diesel first went missing and in an area where there are no wild donkeys.
www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 22-6-2024 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Typical California:

Just when you got things going good.

Some a$$ shows up and ruins everything.

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Typical California:

LOL

I could I swore I read somewhere where donkeys are excellent "watch dogs" for sheep and other livestock. They alert when coyotes and wolves are around

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Why Donkeys Are (Often) Better Than Dogs At Guarding Livestock

Wow, I never knew that.
Maybe those elk are smarter than we know......

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Typical California:

LOL

I could I swore I read somewhere where donkeys are excellent "watch dogs" for sheep and other livestock. They alert when coyotes and wolves are around

Thousands of coyotes have migrated north in recent months and not a single donkey has raised the alarm. I remain skeptical.

posted on Jun, 22 2024 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: putnam6

Typical California:

LOL

Thousands of coyotes have migrated north in recent months and not a single donkey has raised the alarm. I remain skeptical.

Respectfully when have you not been skeptical and mostly contrarian, just saying...

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Amazing. Near the start of the shot, the herd turn as one and move away from the cameraman. I can understand morphic resonance in a single species but the donkey, being in sync, amazed me.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: covent

I can understand morphic resonance in a single species but the donkey, being in sync, amazed me.

I noticed that too , he's completely in harmony with the herd as they move off , quite impressive.

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Donkey see Donkey do?

posted on Jun, 23 2024 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

When I saw this subject line, I clicked on this story with the intention of saying exactly this! Donkeys are a fearsome guard-animal so, from a practicality standpoint, this makes perfect sense. There are quite a few people around here who use donkeys and mules for livestock protection.

Another thing I find interesting is how social donkeys, mules and horses are with about any other (non-predator) animal. I have a friend a few miles away who had one of his mules and one of his horses out in a pasture with some Angus cattle. The horse and mule had been with the cattle since they were weaned. When he took the cattle to market, both the horse and the mule were so mad at him they wouldn't come around for months. It took him over a year to be able to bridle the horse.

We even had a similar instance with one of our dogs and our cattle. At the time I had my beloved Labrador hunting dog, Shelby, and we had gotten some new, young, livestock. Of the three dogs, Shelby, and our Australian Cattle Dog, and our Australian Shepard, the cattle bonded with Shelby. As far as they were concerned, Shelby was one of them. She could go in the feeding areas and walk right under the cattle, or right behind them, and they paid her no mind. If one of our other two dogs tried that or got within 10 feet of them the cows would be facing the dogs, pawing the ground with their hooves and have their head's down, ready for a fight.

Interesting stuff.

new topics

top topics

join