It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo 8 astronaut William "Bill" Anders dies in plane crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2024 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Retired NASA astronaut William "Bill" Anders was killed in the crash of the plane he was piloting , He was 90. The aircraft slammed into the waters of Puget Sound and exploded into a fireball.

Anders along with Frank Borman and Jim Lovell piloted the Apollo 8 spacecraft to the moon in December 1968, making 10 orbits of the moon before returning to earth

Anders is famous for taking the iconic picture "Earth Raise" showing the earth appearing over the lunar surface

www.foxnews.com...

solarsystem.nasa.gov...

Anders was a major general in the United States Air Force

Anders was not originally not scheduled to be on the mission. He took the place of Michael Collins, who had to have surgery to remove a bone spur on his neck Collins would later fly on Apollo 11 , the first mission to walk on the moon

edit on 7-6-2024 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2024 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Rest In Peace, Bill. Piloting a plane at 90yo? I wonder what the cause of the crash was.

Here's his first image of the "earthrise". The original was B&W, but here it's been colourised using other images.

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

He said in a 1997 NASA oral history interview he thought there was about a one in three chance the crew wouldn't make it back and the same chance of success.

Christopher Columbus may have sailed with worse odds, he added.

But he said he felt there were important national, patriotic and exploration reasons for going ahead with the mission.

"We'd been going backwards and upside down, didn't really see the Earth or the Sun, and when we rolled around and came around and saw the first Earthrise," he added.

"That certainly was, by far, the most impressive thing.

"To see this very delicate, colourful orb, which to me looked like a Christmas tree ornament coming up over this very stark, ugly lunar landscape really contrasted."

news.sky.com...

He took what is probably the greatest picture ever taken , a picture that has spanned the decades and inspired a generation including myself , thanks to Bill we first saw our place in this Universe.

RiP Bill , fly free.

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 04:19 AM
link   

90-year-olds should not be flying planes where visibility and reaction time is an obvious factor.

The same with cars or the operation of any other heavy machinery, if we are honest.

RIP.
edit on 8-6-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Kept taking the shot.

Salute!

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I take exception with your words. His way of exit was in keeping with prior expectations and events in his life as others have already mentioned in these words.

It takes a remarkable human to know that the bell is tolling and when is a decent time to go. He knew exactly what he was doing, alone, over water, and time to go. Being 86, I fully understand his way of choosing, we all should have that courage and insight rather than dribbling along to the inevitable.

edit on 8-6-2024 by CosmicFocus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

90-year-olds should not be flying planes where visibility and reaction time is an obvious factor.

The same with cars or the operation of any other heavy machinery, if we are honest.

RIP.

There are some 90 year olds that are not the norm.

My father in law was a retired doctor that was still riding motorcycles and snow skiing at 90 years of age.

He eventually passed away at 92 in 2020, but he was still doing things he loved doing up until like the last 4 months.

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CosmicFocus

He knew exactly what he was doing, alone, over water, and time to go.

That was my thinking too , likely a time and a place of his own choosing.

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Take exception with my words all you please CosmicFocus.

You cannot hold back old age, nobody can.

And you sill need to take responsibility for your own actions if still in possession of your mental faculties.

Fact of the matter is a lot of pensioners at that age can be both a liability to themselves and other people whilst in change of things like planes, and automobiles.

The man was a remarkable human being no two ways about it.

His achievements can never be taken away or diminished.

And if that's how he chose to go out so be it at that age.

Thing is how do you know it was not an accident or engine failure?

We dont know if he committed suicide.

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Oh, there are indeed exceptions to the rule RazorV66 admittedly so.

But people's eyesight and coordination do indeed deteriorate with age.

My Grandfather drove articulated lorries when he was a younger man but by the time he was 88 years old, it was time to take the car keys, he kind of knew that himself.

He made 91, and i will say when he gave up the ability to drive, he kind of went downhill after that.

He was still doing the things he loved all the same right up until he was bedridden generally drinking "Bells Whiskey".

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Wow I'm impressed he was piloting the plane at 90! Some people can't even get out of bed at 30!

I think all service members including astronauts who have the courage to risk their lives deserve the biggest salute. Thanks Major General Anders. You were a pioneer and an inspiration to so many people.

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   
A report from a witness and footage of the crash.

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Wow that footage is crazy I wonder what happened or if he was actually trying to do a barrel roll or what. Looked like maybe something went wrong with the plane too you can hear the plane in the background but it looks kinda....weak or not full power how it is flying.

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

Pretty sure he would have seen the Mountain Home AFB footage of a jet with an ejection seat making a similar maneuver.
The background picture chosen for the report has Bill standing in front of a plane named Val Halla.
There are 540 doors to that place and no idea what his last statement was if this were intentional.
Would have made a good Osprey dive if he had brought home some fish.

Skipping stones in Naval intelligence is when a deep individual has to keep their conversations shallow in order to relate or be understood by who they're talking to.

posted on Jun, 8 2024 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
That sure looks like a purposeful dive.

posted on Jun, 9 2024 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace2
Great picture sad news, strange how close the Earth looks seeing it like this ...

posted on Jun, 9 2024 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

He knew exactly what he was doing, alone, over water, and time to go.

That was my thinking too , likely a time and a place of his own choosing.

A fearless self-made man. It would be nice if he left a motivational note.

top topics

join