It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Angry Men (1957)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2024 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I've been follwiing, ad nauseam, the two main threads about Trump's trial and I felt I needed to reset my moral compass. In this case my go-to movie could only be '12 Angry Men'. I also like 'A Few Good Men', but I think this 1957 film endures and transcends time better.

It's freely available on Archive.org

I'm sure many of you have seen it, but, for those who haven't, I don't want to give away spoilers.

I think it's suffice to quote a snippet of the article/review from Screen Rant

For a movie with such a simple premise, the real meaning of 12 Angry Men’s story is multifaceted, revealing truths about democracy, the American judicial system, and human nature. A pushback against lynch mob mentalities, 12 Angry Men highlights how American democracy and the judicial system should work. Other courtroom dramas tend to focus on proving guilt, but 12 Angry Men reasserts that guilt must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

I'll leave it here because you must all judge for yourselves if the boy is guilty or not guilty...

edit on 2/6/2024 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2024 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

I've been follwiing, ad nauseam, the two main threads about Trump's trial and I felt I needed to reset my moral compass. In this case my go-to movie could only be '12 Angry Men'. I also like 'A Few Good Men', but I think this 1957 film endures and transcends time better.

It's freely available on Archive.org

I'm sure many of you have seen it, but, for those who haven't, I don't want to give away spoilers.

I think it's suffice to quote a snippet of the article/review from Screen Rant

For a movie with such a simple premise, the real meaning of 12 Angry Men’s story is multifaceted, revealing truths about democracy, the American judicial system, and human nature. A pushback against lynch mob mentalities, 12 Angry Men highlights how American democracy and the judicial system should work. Other courtroom dramas tend to focus on proving guilt, but 12 Angry Men reasserts that guilt must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

I'll leave it here because you must all judge for yourselves if the boy is guilty or not guilty...

no longer a thing. Just base your judgement on feelz.

posted on Jun, 2 2024 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Great movie.
Honestly the real lesson to be learned from the plot is how two lawyers go through the motions of fighting for their side instead of finding the truth. One man on the jury saves an innocent kid from prison.

Too bad todays screenwriters don’t have the talent to make a movie like this. 🤪

posted on Jun, 2 2024 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I've recommended this film a couple of times here.
Classic...with great performances by Fonda and the entire cast.

posted on Jun, 2 2024 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Just to say it, it was a Stage play first. Adapted to film in this case.

posted on Jun, 2 2024 @ 10:41 AM
link   
There exists a parody version, which provided me with a signature.
(The full version is also in Youtube, but audio only)

posted on Jun, 2 2024 @ 02:26 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...(1946)

Also comes to mind due to recent events.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 2 2024 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Jeez man use your brain.

The op said he wouldnt put up a spoiler, and what do you go and do?

C'mon dude use your brain a bit better

posted on Jun, 2 2024 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Cheers

posted on Jun, 2 2024 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge2

That is why I waited until watching the movie before reading any reply's to this thread. Not surprised someone would leak something. Good movie about 12 people with a hard decision to make. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 5 2024 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge2

Jeez man use your brain.

C'mon dude use your brain a bit better

The whole premise of the film and stage play, is to uses your own mind to decide guilt or innocence for yourself. In the film and play we have a conclusion. But we do not know the truth, in my opinion, that is a powerful statement.

posted on Jun, 5 2024 @ 05:35 AM
link   
For a site like ATS, this movie does capture a lot of why we are here.

What do we believe, what do we know. Just because someone said something, does this mean you are going to go do this? With the information wars going on these days, it presents a good way through the trenches.
edit on 5-6-2024 by kwaka because: added last paragraph

new topics

top topics

join