It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find 7 potential Dyson spheres after Scanning 5 million Objects

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 07:22 PM
link   
A multinational team of scientists using data from the Gaia DR3, 2MASS, and WISE Telescopes to search for Dyson spheres created by advanced technological species out there have published their findings in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Academy of Sciences.

Of the 5 million Objects they examined they found 368 objects of interest although all but 7 were discounted for various reasons , the researchers say those remaining 7 are legitimate candidates , but that doesn't mean they are Dyson spheres ... but they could be.

"All sources are clear mid-infrared emitters with no clear contaminators or signatures that indicate an obvious mid-infrared origin," they explain.

These are the seven strongest candidates, but the researchers know they're still just candidates. There could be other reasons why the seven are emitting excess infrared.

"The presence of warm debris disks surrounding our candidates remains a plausible explanation for the infrared excess of our sources," they explain.

But their candidates seem to be M-type (red dwarf) stars, and debris disks around M-dwarfs are very rare. However, it gets complicated because some research suggests that debris disks around M-dwarfs form differently and present differently. One type of debris disk called Extreme Debris Disks (EDD) can explain some of the luminosity the team sees around their candidates. "But these sources have never been observed in connection with M dwarfs," Suazo and his co-authors write.

That leaves the team with three questions: "Are our candidates strange young stars whose flux does not vary with time? Are these stars' M-dwarf debris disks with an extreme fractional luminosity? Or something completely different?"
www.sciencealert.com...

edit on 10-5-2024 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

When they Finally detect a Ring-World , call me .

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I really have a problem with Dyson spheres. The polar reagons of the spheres have no angular velocity to counteract the gravity of the star at the center of the sphere. The polar reagons would collapse into the star. Now, the equatorial reagons would actually be in orbit around the star. Let's say a band that is 15 degrees ether side of the equator would be close enough to orbital velocity to not matter much but going beyond that would very much depend on the physical construction of the structure.

This causes the sphere to be made thicker the farther away from its equator thus needing to be built thicker to support the added weight. At some point, the structure of the area nearing the polar regions would just collapse of it own weight and from lack of orbital velocity into the star.

I think Dyson belts are more likely to exist than spheres. A band around the equator of a star. 'Ring World' if you will.

Edit: I see Ring World was mentioned before I finished this post.

edit on 10-5-2024 by BeyondKnowledge3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

They won't. Ringworlds are gravitationally unstable.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomer1947

But Dyson Spheres are orbitally unsupported beyond the equatorial reagons.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Honestly, I have a serious question:

Why is it, that this discovery and most others recently, mimic our sci-fi and theories?

So people have been talking about Dyson Spheres for the last decade or two. And now we just happen to find 7 candidates?

And if these so called aliens are so much more advanced than us, why would they be using theoretical tech from such a stone aged species?

And please don't say because we are on the right track. Or we are learning and advancing.

Because all of us know that in 100 years people will look back at us and this talk of Dyson Spheres and laugh at how dumb we were.

Hell, we were told that the oceans were to have risen by feet, and all the ice and snow and polar regions would melt and be tropical 20 years ago.

24 years after that was supposed to happen, and not much has changed....

What this article seems to me to be, is fake...another way for people to become robots for the elite.

I think it is a planned hoax.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

You kind of have it backwards there.

Astronomers find something that might be similar to something that has a name that was written about in science fiction. So, why make a new name for it when a lot of people already know what it is by that name without having to explain what this newly named thing is.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Great! I wonder how they jib at all with a post I did several months ago about a scientific paper from the University of Brussels in Belgium. The paper sought to show that there was a relationship with some pulsars and that their positions were indicative of being artificially created as a GPS system for this part of our galaxy.

OK, I'll give the scoffers even more reason to giggle. My own efforts years ago was to plot the point of origin of comets by reversing their near-Sol parameters. I believed then and now that comets are not objects from our own solar system, but come from other stars as spaceships. After reading that paper Pulsar Positioning System, a quest for evidence of extraterrestrial engineeringI Clement Vidal, I took two of the studies pulsars and found that each had at least one comet originating from that area. So, while a comet may look like a giant asteroid--which they probably are, consider the possibility that they are the motherships for the small UFO devices that forever have been in our skies.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicFocus

If comets are interstellar, what makes them slow down to go into solar orbit? The engines must be huge and have visible exhaust considering the dirty water that would be fueling them. Nothing like the sublimating ice and dust seen as they go around the Sun repeatedly.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy

Hell, we were told that the oceans were to have risen by feet, and all the ice and snow and polar regions would melt and be tropical 20 years ago.

What this article seems to me to be, is fake...another way for people to become robots for the elite.

Because, fortunately, people far smarter than you are in charge of things, and have been doing real work to stem climate change over the last 2 decades.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: OurAngryBadger

Because, fortunately, people far smarter than you are in charge of things, and have been doing real work to stem climate change over the last 2 decades.

So, you follow the politics of climate change?

How did we get from Dyson spheres to climate change?

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3

The topic itself is not political. It's fact.
It CAN be politicized.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Not According to Larry Niven ....

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The topic itself is not political. It's fact.
It CAN be politicized.

The topic of climate change is politically expedient to scientific funding. That is all.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 09:40 PM
link   

So you have an argument for this instability or link to one? I am quite curious about it.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Just saying everything scientists tell us, turns out to be not true.

And I am skeptical of this one.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

The Ringworld is....

Stable against axial displacements after which it will gently bob back and forth around the star.

Unstable against transverse ones because the gravitational attraction of the near-side is greater than that of the far-side.

Unless there are Laws of Physics Presently Unknown to Human Science...........

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Just saying everything scientists tell us, turns out to be not true.

And I am skeptical of this one.

I am skeptical of the possibility of the very existence of a Dyson sphere at all, but not by your reasoning.

Question everything. That is how you find out things.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 10:22 PM
link   

a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

The Ringworld is....

Stable against axial displacements after which it will gently bob back and forth around the star.

Unstable against transverse ones because the gravitational attraction of the near-side is greater than that of the far-side.

Unless there are Laws of Physics Presently Unknown to Human Science...........

You are saying the inside of the ring would need to spin faster than the outside of the ring to remain in orbit, measured in degrees of orbit per time? Would not the middle of the mass of the ring be considered as the orbital velocity needed and the structure of the ring designed to take the difference in the forces from inside to outside?

I think those forces would be a minor consideration for a civilization that can build a ring one astronomical unit in radius. Also, it might be possible to harness those forces for energy generation for the inhabitants.

Edit: Those differing orbital forces would also apply to a Dyson sphere at the equator. So those forces would need to be designed for in a Dyson sphere, which I don't think is constructable by the reasoning in my first post of this thread.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Are dyson spheres a part of a Dyson vacuum? We got one of those vacuums.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join