It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India says Muslims need not apply

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 07:24 AM
link   
From The New York Times:

The law sparked lethal riots when it was passed. Now, after a four-year delay, it has come into force on the eve of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s re-election campaign.

Weeks before a national election, the Indian government has abruptly announced that it will begin enforcing a citizenship law that had remained dormant since late 2019 after inciting deadly riots by opponents who called it anti-Muslim.

The incendiary law grants Indian citizenship to persecuted Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsees and Christians from a few nearby countries. Muslims are pointedly excluded.

I guess if you're a persecuted Muslim India is the wrong place to try and go.

Most other religions are OK.

I know there have been some issues with Muslims in India...and a lot of other places too...but I'm wondering why India has decided to enforce this 2019 law now. Does anyone have any idea?

Link to story below.

"Muslims stay home" says India

edit on 3/13/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat
From The New York Times:

The law sparked lethal riots when it was passed. Now, after a four-year delay, it has come into force on the eve of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s re-election campaign.

Weeks before a national election, the Indian government has abruptly announced that it will begin enforcing a citizenship law that had remained dormant since late 2019 after inciting deadly riots by opponents who called it anti-Muslim.

The incendiary law grants Indian citizenship to persecuted Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsees and Christians from a few nearby countries. Muslims are pointedly excluded.

I guess if you're a persecuted Muslim India is the wrong place to try and go.

Most other religions are OK.

I know there have been some issues with Muslims in India...and a lot of other places too...but I'm wondering why India has decided to enforce this 2019 law now. Does anyone have any idea?
Link to story below.

"Muslims stay home" says India

obviously they are raycist.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SchrodingersRat

wondering why India has decided to enforce this 2019 law now.

has come into force on the eve of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s re-election campaign.

Seems self-explanatory, no?

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 07:59 AM
link   
India has a long history with Muslims. Isn't that why Pakistan was created? Given the tension between those two countries it's not hard to see why.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex

wondering why India has decided to enforce this 2019 law now.

has come into force on the eve of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s re-election campaign.

Seems self-explanatory, no?

Are you saying that the PM is anti Muslim? Or that the people that she represents are anti Muslim?

PS - I clearly don't have a dog in this fight. I just find it curious that they have decided to enforce a law now that was passed 5 years ago and no enforcement of that law was done at the time it was passed in 2019.

edit on 3/13/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Roma1927

Interesting considering the Muslim population of India (15-20%) is about the entire population of Pakistan.

Modi certainly isn't winning reelection in the city of Lakshwadeep, that's for sure.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 08:35 AM
link   

He is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), a right wing Hindu nationalist paramilitary volunteer organisation.
link

I don't have a horse in this race either but I'm guessing Hindu nationalists are not too keen on Muslims and they seem to be a big part of his voter base. Some of them are probably disgruntled by the delay and he hopes to win back their trust for the election. I haven't been following Indian politics closely but I think the more interesting question is why this was delayed.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Sounds like a DEI policy.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: YourFaceAgain

Well they are all brown skinned there so we can rule out skin color. So, not likely DEI. More likely just islamophobia that was learned thru practice and not by KKK white people eh?

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Who are the nearby Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsees and Christians being persecuted by?

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

originally posted by: YourFaceAgain

Well they are all brown skinned there so we can rule out skin color. So, not likely DEI. More likely just islamophobia that was learned thru practice and not by KKK white people eh?

DEI isn't only about skin color.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 11:27 AM
link   

The "now" is the key question.

India has had "problems" with Muslims since the split in 1947 of India and Pakistan. There have been periods of unrest within India since then between the Muslims and other groups in India. So why this, now?

Cheers
edit on 13-3-2024 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 12:06 PM
link   

The Reason - Pakistani Muslims who Wage War on Hinduism .
edit on 13-3-2024 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dandandat3

Who are the nearby Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsees and Christians being persecuted by?

China, Pakistan and Afghanistan to name a few. There are others too.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
India has had "problems" with Muslims since the split in 1947 of India and Pakistan.

^^ That. They don't want more Muslims because of the problems they've had with them.
They don't have the same problems with christians, buddhists, other hindus, etc.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Roma1927
India has a long history with Muslims. Isn't that why Pakistan was created? Given the tension between those two countries it's not hard to see why.

Ummm...there's a reason for that...Pakistan used to be northern India...until the British decided to partition the country...

Pakistan was also predominantly Hindu...

One can hardly blame the Hindu for their disliking the Muslims...against the historical backdrop...

The partition of India

Sehgal remembers the Lalamusa train station where the Pakistani flag ceremony took place, the optimistic mood, and the special meal he shared with family and friends. “We all celebrated together,” he recalled in a 2016 oral history with the 1947 Partition Archive. “It was wonderful.”But within hours, the long-awaited transition of power—and the partition of India into two nations, majority-Hindu India and majority-Muslim Pakistan—had become a nightmare as simmering secular tensions, stoked by divisive colonial rule, boiled over. That evening, Sehgal watched in horror as hundreds of people carrying knives and other weapons ran past, on the hunt for Hindus to attack.

YouSir

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

I haven't been following Indian politics closely but I think the more interesting question is why this was delayed.

I agree. That topic wasn't really addressed in the NY Times article.

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
India has had "problems" with Muslims since the split in 1947 of India and Pakistan.

^^ That. They don't want more Muslims because of the problems they've had with them.
They don't have the same problems with christians, buddhists, other hindus, etc.

I don’t blame the Indians one bit for this policy.

2017 from the EU Parliament…

Groups of Islamic extremists who want Sharia law to be imposed in Europe are increasingly numerous and violent, such as the group ‘Sharia for Belgium’ of the religious leader Fouad Belkacem, alias Abu Imran, according to whom the Islamic community will soon be laying down its own rules in Brussels.

www.europarl.europa.eu...

By Islam’s own admission, muslims should not want to go to India because it is not welcoming.

fiqh.islamonline.net...

And from the article the ideal destination lends support to the EU claim.

4. It is highly recommended for Muslims to migrate to those lands where they feel they can practice Islam and can spread the message of Islam. The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, sent many Sahabah (his Companions) to different areas to spread Islam and to teach Islam. After the death of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, many Sahabah left Madinah and went to different lands to live there and to teach Islam to the people of those lands. It is due to their efforts and the efforts of many Muslims after them that Islam spread in many lands. This is also our duty and we must make every effort to convey the message of Allah to the whole world.

It isn’t hard to find Muslim immigrants in many countries claiming they want shariah law and a future Muslim nation on the internet. (Other than YouTube of course)

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOS

Pew used to do surveys of Muslim extremist sentiments in a whole bunch of Muslim-majority countries and also in Western countries.

A disturbingly high percentage of Muslims in Western countries hold extremist views.

Pew dialed back those surveys about 10 years ago because it was "Islamophobic" to report what Western Muslims actually believe. They still do a watered down version of it but it's carefully done to avoid making the extremists look too bad.
edit on 13-3-2024 by YourFaceAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Please go find a video by the Hungarian Prime minister, Pure simple answer to the OP and true.
Question that seriously needs addressing:- What if you have a genuine fear of something or somebody? Phobia? No, a phobia is an anxiety disorder defined as an unrealistic, persistent fear. Now if you have a true genuine fear it aint unrealistic is it?
Now Islamophobia they have tacked on( added to the definition of a phobia) hatred and prejudiced against the religion of Islam and Muslims, not just fear. It helps their agenda.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join