It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Poor Avocado Plant.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Mods please move if in the wrong forum, which it probably is.

Looking for some advice on my Avocado plant/tree.

She seems to be rather under the weather and droopy over the past few days.

Im I giving it to much water or not enough?

Soil is dry down to about two inches but I gave her plenty of water a few days previous.

Could it be a drainage issue?

All advice is most welcome.
edit on 24-2-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

It seems mostly healthy so I doubt it's the soil.

Temperature would be my guess, they like it humid and moist so maybe give it a misty spray and warm it up a bit?

Which way is it facing? Any major changes to it's location or anything?

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 09:42 AM
link   

The leaves closest to the window seem to be different color.

Are they sun burned?

During the winter months my lime tree will get droopy when sun hits it directly because it's been rather sheltered all winter.
As soon as the sun passes they perk right up.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

It is indoors so i imagine about 70-75F possibly dropping a little at night when the heating is not on.

I'm not sure as to the direction if I'm honest, I can find that out all the same and get back to you.

No major changes to location it was grown where she stands fro a wee seed.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Turning a purple colour so possibly.

Im not seeing it being to much sun this time of year in Scotland mate.

But I don't really know my arse from my elbow where growing avocados are concerned.

It was a project with the wean to begin with if I'm honest.

But she's about 2 years old I don't want to let it die.

Cheers for the response by the way.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Get your plant a larger pot.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Well, it's not dead, that's a plus. So you have wiggle room. It took me a few years to finally take caring for my citrus plants seriously.
In the end I found, fertilizer is a must, pruning is a must, and having proper watering is a must.

CarlLaFong might be onto something, I'd also look into "topping" the plant. Having shoots going up too high with a small root structure puts the plant into stress to try and get water to the top of the plant.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Try moving it back from the window a bit if possible. I've never grew them but I know most plants can't stand localised temperature swings and touching things that are too hot/cold or wet.

It looks healthy minus the drooping and brown leaves, if it's water the chances are it's under watered. How good is your window? My money is on recent cold spells personally. I've got double glazing and it's good but I've recently noticed window sills will drop down to 10c or less on cold nights, sounds counter intuitive but opening a window can help...

Repotting is definitely a good idea too, bigger pot = less watering. I would say look up what they require though... I think most indoor ones die eventually anyways?

Might be at that age it wants to fly the nest

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Mods please move if in the wrong forum, which it probably is.

Looking for some advice on my Avocado plant/tree.

She seems to be rather under the weather and droopy over the past few days.

Im I giving it to much water or not enough?

Soil is dry down to about two inches but I gave her plenty of water a few days previous.

Could it be a drainage issue?

All advice is most welcome.

Seems like way too small a pot, way too little soil, for the size of the plant .

I bumped ours up to a much bigger pot / soil when it got to a similar size, and he became quite happy / healthy.

How old ? My son grew ours from a pit, it’s about 5 years old, is similar to yours. He had to put toothpicks in the pit and halfways sit it in water for a long time to grow roots. Quite the lengthy process.

His name is Avi.

I’ve also been thinking that we need to prune out lower leaves to get more water to the top half of the plant.
edit on 24-2-2024 by arcticshuffle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:31 AM
link   

greg.app...#:~:text=Light%20is%20a%20non%2Dnegotiable,too%20little%20leaves%20them%20limp.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Have you checked the drainage container for water? Roots will rot sitting in water, which is what it looks like may be happening here. Also, plants require far less water during their rest period, so a small drink versus completely drenching the soil is safer during the winter months.

I agree, a bigger pot is in oreder-but be aware it will put your tree into a mild state of shock for a couple of weeks, so be extra careful not to overwater during transplant time and only pot up to one 2" or 3" bigger at a time. Best wait till spring and active growing to transplant, though.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Cheers for the input everyone.

The consensus seems to be pot size thus far.

I've got bigger pots, so ile take your advice and give her an upgrade.

And see how she fairs.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: arcticshuffle

About 2 and a half years arcticshuffle.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CarlLaFong

Will do, and cheers for the advice.
edit on 24-2-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I have perked up plants with a light foliar spraying with a commercially available product, Superthrive, And alway use this when transplanting/water soil with a dilute solution.

I don't know how your Avocado plant will do but it works very well for garden plants and Bromeliaceae family house plants.
edit on 24-2-2024 by lilzazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Re pot it.

Let it dry out between watering.

10 drops of Superthrive in a gallon of water.

It’s a couple bucks.

Also, a bigger pot.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Ta.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Sing along..... "She needs a bigger Hero!"
See what I noticed there

Don't avocados need a lot of water or is that only when they are producing the fruit?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

I dont know Jane.

Again i gave her plenty of water a few days ago, and yet now the earth is dry to the tune of a couple of inches down.

I'm not wanting to water her again in case I drown the poor thing.

I've got two of them I suppose but I don't see them producing much fruit here in Glasgow(be nice though).

I think ile change the pot, that way I can gauge the condition of the roots also I suppose.

posted on Feb, 24 2024 @ 02:36 PM
link   

They'll like it damp apparently, leaves curl up if over watered and drooped if under watered.

www.rhs.org.uk...

Good info here, I find myself using that site a lot for plants.

I've got two of them I suppose but I don't see them producing much fruit here in Glasgow(be nice though).

They need high humidity 40%-80% for flowering. 20-25C or more. Definitely achievable with a cold frame or greenhouse.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join