It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major fire at French plant housing lithium batteries.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Major fire breaks out at French plant housing lithium batteries

Some 900 tonnes of lithium batteries were on fire at a battery recycling plant in southern France, authorities said on Sunday, sending a cloud of thick black smoke into the sky above the site.

A security note for the site warns that in case of a major fire, products present there were likely to result in the emission of cadmium through fumes.

Cadmium is highly toxic and dangerous to the environment, but the note said that considering the environment of the factory and the behaviour of toxic fumes, these should not pose an immediate health risk to residents.

"not pose an immediate health risk to residents"...as long as they hold their breath for a few days, wear masks, don't go outside and never ask questions.

Not good, and my first thought is why are SO MANY batteries much being stored when they are for "recycling"? 900 Tons is a HUGE amount. Something tells me that the recycling process is way behind because they are so difficult to process and TPTB are hiding that fact in favour of selling more products for profit without caring about the consequenses. Not something they want to publicly admit me thinks.

Oh well.... just dig some more out of the ground at the expense of those who work for peanuts and the consumer.

And to brush off any health risks is unaccountable. Crazy plug-in world eh?

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 10:34 AM
link   
just another reason that 'Marxism' is gaining popularity over Fascist Capitalism....

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

"not pose an immediate health risk to residents"

I used to work at a chrome plating facility. Cadmium fumes are so dangerous that we had to wear hazmat suits when working with it, and cancer among workers was a regular occurrence.

Every employee had to have blood drawn every 6 months to check for cadmium levels and do pre-cancer screening.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 10:41 AM
link   

It does sound like a lot, but each car probably has at least a ton of batteries...especially SUV's.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: StudioNada

Right,

Because China, the USSR, and Venezuela were shining examples of Marxism protecting the environment...

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 11:22 AM
link   

This is awful! Just a quick peek at cadmium makes me wonder if all those destroying our planet for the almighty dollar are stark raving mad!

'Cadmium poisoning has been reported from many parts of the world. It is one of the global health problems that affect many organs and in some cases it can cause deaths annually. Long-term exposure to cadmium through air, water, soil, and food leads to cancer and organ system toxicity such as skeletal, urinary, reproductive, cardiovascular, central and peripheral nervous, and respiratory systems.'

'Epidemiological data suggest that occupational and environmental cadmium exposure may be related to various types of cancer, including breast, lung, prostate, nasopharynx, pancreas, and kidney cancers. It has been also demonstrated that environmental cadmium may be a risk factor for osteoporosis.'

'Adverse effects of excessive acute cadmium exposure may include

“food poisoning” (ingestion only),
bronchitis (inhalation only),
chemical pneumonitis (inhalation only), and
pulmonary edema (inhalation only), a condition which can initially resemble metal fume fever.'

'Cadmium poisoning has been reported from many parts of the world. It is one of the global health problems that affect many organs and in some cases it can cause deaths annually. Long-term exposure to cadmium through air, water, soil, and food leads to cancer and organ system toxicity such as skeletal, urinary, reproductive, cardiovascular, central and peripheral nervous, and respiratory systems. Cadmium levels can be measured in the blood, urine, hair, nail and saliva samples. Patients with cadmium toxicity need gastrointestinal tract irrigation, supportive care, and chemical decontamination traditional-based chelation therapy with appropriate new chelating agents and nanoparticle-based antidotes. Furthermore it has been likewise recommended to determine the level of food contamination and suspicious areas, consider public education and awareness programs for the exposed people to prevent cadmium poisoning.'

I guess politicians, scientists, researchers, corporations, the wealthy, etc. aren't smart enough to know you can'y un-ring a bell, recall a spent arrow or take back a spoken word. They keep crapping in their (our) own nest.

Paying the Piper is going to be epic.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Welp...so much for reducing Global Warming!

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: StudioNada

just another reason that 'Marxism' is gaining popularity over Fascist Capitalism....

Yeah, the Marxists would be burning them on purpose in a giant pit next to the homeless camp.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

'Cadmium poisoning has been reported from many parts of the world. It is one of the global health problems that affect many organs and in some cases it can cause deaths annually. Long-term exposure to cadmium through air, water, soil, and food leads to cancer and organ system toxicity such as skeletal, urinary, reproductive, cardiovascular, central and peripheral nervous, and respiratory systems.'

'Epidemiological data suggest that occupational and environmental cadmium exposure may be related to various types of cancer, including breast, lung, prostate, nasopharynx, pancreas, and kidney cancers. It has been also demonstrated that environmental cadmium may be a risk factor for osteoporosis.'

'Cadmium poisoning has been reported from many parts of the world. It is one of the global health problems that affect many organs and in some cases it can cause deaths annually. Long-term exposure to cadmium through air, water, soil, and food leads to cancer and organ system toxicity such as skeletal, urinary, reproductive, cardiovascular, central and peripheral nervous, and respiratory systems. Cadmium levels can be measured in the blood, urine, hair, nail and saliva samples. Patients with cadmium toxicity need gastrointestinal tract irrigation, supportive care, and chemical decontamination traditional-based chelation therapy with appropriate new chelating agents and nanoparticle-based antidotes. Furthermore it has been likewise recommended to determine the level of food contamination and suspicious areas, consider public education and awareness programs for the exposed people to prevent cadmium poisoning.'

""This is just WONDERFUL"" - overheard at every pharmaceutical plant

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
I used to work at a chrome plating facility. Cadmium fumes are so dangerous that we had to wear hazmat suits when working with it, and cancer among workers was a regular occurrence.

Every employee had to have blood drawn every 6 months to check for cadmium levels and do pre-cancer screening.

Yes, nasty stuff. I looked into chrome plating a while back and was actually glad that it came with restrictions and licenses for commercial activities. I love the effect though but would never do it because of the hazards.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Sacré bleu!

All the wonders these electric cars have done for our environment. This reminds me of the abused pet commercials we see, the photographers spend more time getting the right angle and video of starving and abused animals than they do actually taking action to help the animals.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

It does sound like a lot, but each car probably has at least a ton of batteries...especially SUV's.

I'd say it's more like all the mobile devices, electric bikes and scooters and little batteries rather than EVs.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

Wait till you hear about the flammability of petroleum!

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Euronymous2625

Wait till you hear about the flammability of petroleum!

At least the fire department can extinguish a petroleum fire.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Communism and Fascism are from the same tree Karl Marx created. It is the fascist lefties of America pushing this idea in the USA. My job as an Environmental Scientist I can say we hate the fire hazard situation with these and it is the Greta Thumburgs not the normal folks pushing lies down our throats on CO2. Even when we could just move to Hydrogen cars like I have been saying since I started here about 15 years ago in the threads I made. All the rage in the 50s among the Science world was the Hydrogen power that was obviously coming.

originally posted by: StudioNada

edit on 21000000512920242America/Chicago02pm2 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Never water your lithium after midnight.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Seriously, right???? I'm amazed that California with it's strict anti cancer/pollution/chemical rules lets EV's in their state at all considering all the toxic chemicals associated with/in them much less push for the increased numbers of them.

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: peter_kandra

I'd say it's more like all the mobile devices, electric bikes and scooters and little batteries rather than EVs.

Fire breaks out at French recycling plant housing batteries. The fire broke out on Saturday (February 17) in a warehouse owned by French recycling group SNAM in Viviez, north of Toulouse, local ......

Who is Snam
SNAM is a French company whose activities comprise recycling Nickel-Cadmium, Nickel-Metal-Hydroxide and Lithium-Ion from: - used rechargeable batteries - industrial waste The company recycles two types of battery: 1. The Mobile Type from mobile telephones, laptop computers, and wireless devices, etc... 2. The Industrial Type from aviation, railways, the army and electric vehicles, etc. SNAM receives these batteries from various countries worldwide. It works in partnership not only with French public collection agencies (SCRELEC and COREPILE) but also with foreign organisations (BEBAT in Belgium, G&P in England, and so on). SNAM is also an official partner for the recycling of batteries and industrial waste with SAFT, a producer of industrial Nickel-Cadmium batteries.

www.zoominfo.com...

Volkswagen Group France and SNAM partner on recycling hybrid and EV batteries
18 February 2014
Volkswagen Group France et la Société Nouvelle d’Affinage des Métaux (SNAM) signed a partnership agreement through which the hybrid and EV batteries from group brands—Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, ŠKODA and Volkswagen Utilities—will be recycled in the two French factories owned by SNAM, Saint-Quentin-Fallavier (Isère) and Viviez (Aveyron).

Through this agreement, SNAM (a subsidiary of Floridienne Group) will be responsible not only for dismantling and recycling, but also the collection of batteries from electric and hybrid vehicles (NiMH and Li-ion). The NiMH and Li-Ion batteries will be treated in compliance with European environmental standards.

The collection and recycling of industrial batteries in Europe are regulated by the European Directive 2006/66/EC, which entered into force on 26 September 2006. Although the Directive does not specify the collection targets for industrial batteries, the recycling must be at least 50% effective by weight (as of Sep 2011).

Volkswagen Group France and SNAM have established a program to ensure the traceability of batteries until the recycling system is fully in place.

In September 2013, SNAM signed a similar agreement with Honda for the recycling of batteries from hybrid vehicles in Europe.

www.greencarcongress.com...

After a little more research, this is the SECOND fire in France where Lithium-Ion batteries were stored.

This is the second major lithium-ion battery fire in France in a little over a year. As CTIF.org wrote on January 18th, 2023, there was a large explosion and fire at a lithium fire warehouse near the city of Rouen, Normandie, on January 16th. At least 100 firefighters and 60 fire engines are reported to have been fighting the fire.

The fire reportedly began at around 3:50 pm on January 16 at the Bolloré Logistics warehouse at boulevard de l’île aux Oiseaux in the Normandy city of Rouen.

According to the news site TheDeepDive.ca, firefighters on the call reported that the fire first started in a storage area containing lithium batteries. It is estimated around 8,000 lithium batteries have been destroyed. The fire then spread to a nearby storage facility contained about 70,000 rubber tires.

www.ctif.org...

And they try to tell us the batteries are safe.

edit on st29202400000029bWed, 21 Feb 2024 18:24:56 -06002024000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Thanks for the added imput & info.

I wonder if new regulations will be put in place after this SECOND fire in France? And I wonder what effects the locals and people in surrounding areas may repot in the days to come.

The other hazard could be chemicals in the locality of the fire due to all the water used to put it out.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Added info: The name of the company is "SUEZ - Recycling and disposal France" just to the west of the rugby stadium in Viviez in the Aveyron department in the Occitanie region in southern France.

There is a small river running right next to the plant called "L'Enne".

About 150km SE of me.

posted on Feb, 21 2024 @ 08:07 PM
link   
France seems super double duper serious about that little Paris Accord thingy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join