It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say new glowing plants could replace artificial yard lighting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2024 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Scientists say new glowing plants could replace artificial yard lighting
www.homesandgardens.com...

The team of 26 scientists, who work across nine research organizations, used mushroom genes to brighten plants. The first bioluminescent petunias will go on sale in the US as of February 1st.

The Firefly™ Petunia is available in the 48 contiguous states of the US and promises to give off an 'ethereal glow' at night, from a seedling to a mature plant with an abundance of flowers.

'As part of the scientific team that discovered the bioluminescence genes from fireflies, I helped create the first glowing plant in 1986, which has inspired scientists worldwide,' says Keith Wood, CEO of Light Bio.

Unlike artificial yard lighting (such as string lighting like this set of string lights from Amazon), the magic of glowing petunias is made possible by optimizing isolated genes from different species of luminous mushrooms.

It builds on an earlier discovery that you can create continuously glowing plants by inserting DNA from the glowing mushrooms, revealing similarities between mushroom bioluminescence and plant metabolism.

The petunias, sold by Light Bio, have optimized genes inserted in them to boost their luminous appearance.

Now this is cool! I know that genetically modifying plants is a risky thing because you don't know the future evolution of future generations of plants or their invasiveness, but honestly I would definitely buy and install these into my landscapes. If there were different varieties of plants available (like that in the movie Avatar), I think it would make the world feel a more beautiful place at night time...very peaceful and calm. Of course I'd still have my solar lighting but using nature for natural lighting sounds so much cooler and environmentally friendly too

igrownews.com...

Regulatory Compliance and Consumer Information

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has approved the Firefly Petunias, affirming their safety for cultivation and breeding. This regulatory milestone allows Light Bio to sell these plants, with an initial batch of 50,000 units ready for distribution across 48 contiguous states. Priced at USD 29 per plant, the Firefly Petunias are poised to start shipping to consumers in April, offering a unique aesthetic experience derived from their bioluminescent properties.

edit on 9-2-2024 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Yes this is amazing

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
using nature for natural lighting sounds so much cooler and environmentally friendly too

It does sound cool, and I would definitely have these if they were available where I live, but I don't know if I'd say creating a new artificial species of plant with mushroom genes and inserting it into the biosphere holus-bolus is necessarily environmentally friendly.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 03:49 AM
link   

It looks cool, though what effect would these plants when ingested by wildlife have an impact on the creatures immune system, is it able to be digested by by an animal or mammal.

Will it kill the creature consuming it, as it takes eons for a species to adapt to a change in environment.

I think the same applies to humans with genetically modified foods, has the repercussions being looked into how these foods impact our biology.

Why change genetics

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 04:22 AM
link   

They definitely look cool.

But I can't help but wonder what the unintended consequences are going to be?

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Those look beautiful, however, messing with plant genetics sounds like a recipe for disaster. The Day of the Triffids comes to mind. As a child I read the book and saw the movie... terrifying!

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 05:28 AM
link   
As long as these plants are not harmful to animals/kids/bugs I can see this taking off in a huge way.

It is genetic modification though-so there may be issues with cross polination or toxicity to insects?

I should mention Triffids as well-these plants may turn into carniverous triffids-but at least it will be harder for them to hide.

edit on 9-2-2024 by onestonemonkey because: ap

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 06:01 AM
link   
From the look of the video.
you will get more light from Light pollution!
And I dont wont creepy people feeling up my plants.
(see video)

The moths will love it. and die.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Have people thought about the consequences to wildlife? Starting with the flies, moths, ants etc.. I'm sure I read somehwere that insects are finding it very difficult to navigate through life due to the lighting! Also, what effect will this have on birds?

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Never trust "scientists say".

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Cavemannick

Because we think we are god.
And even though it continually bites us in the rear, we continue to do it.

I would not have these. I'm not taking the chance with nature

Anyone remember the old line in some commercial "You don't fool with mother nature?"

She will win.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: xWorldxGonexMadx

Have people thought about the consequences to wildlife? Starting with the flies, moths, ants etc. I'm sure I read somewhere that insects are finding it very difficult to navigate through life due to the lighting! Also, what effect will this have on birds?

There are always unintended consequences when dabbling with the forces of nature, it's like a domino effect. Back when I was studying the occult, our group called it the "X-Factor", that is everything unknown that was outside of the intended results. A common saying can apply, "Be careful of what you wish for because you just might get it."

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: watchitburn

Never trust "scientists say".

I'm pretty sure these scientists are actually botanists..and maybe with a mix of Faucci in there

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I would not have these. I'm not taking the chance with nature

Never mind nature.

It's like shining a big light in the dark to say "STEAL ME NOW WE ARE NOT NAILED DOWN".

Not to mention the Kevins and Karens who will not want or be able to afford these plants who will cry "Light pollution, I can't sleep".

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 10:14 AM
link   
www.light.bio...

The Firefly Petunia emits a soft glow similar to moonlight. It can be grown in pots, baskets, or gardens, quickly attaining about 8 to 10 inches in size with abundant white flowers. This plant is easy to care for, thriving without needing special conditions or treatments.

Although typically regarded as annuals, petunias can be grown indoors if placed in a sunny spot. They flourish under long summer days, preferring at least six hours of direct sunlight. Promoting vigorous growth will produce a brighter glow.

Mostly made for indoor decor, these bio-engineered plants are typically annuals...meaning they only live once during growing season outside (due to harsh fall and winter conditions that typically kill them)...but indoors they can live much longer (as perrenials instead).

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Timelapse video of incredible glowing plants growing

edit on 9-2-2024 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Just preordered! Thanks for mentioning this, I think its a really cool idea. If they end up killing me...well, it is what it is.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: FenrirMT
Just preordered! Thanks for mentioning this, I think its a really cool idea. If they end up killing me...well, it is what it is.

When you get your petunia, take a picture of it and post it on ATS..would be cool so see a photo of it in real life...not just night time with likely special effects added to enhance the plant glow.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 11:13 AM
link   
These are cool. Like with others, the environmental impact is concerning, but I see he created the first one in 1986 ... so they have had plenty long term studies. But my concetn is; wouldn't those be lab years, so ... long term studies are not really relevant here. Unless of course they can show that long term studies in-lab was conducted including outside fauna and flora and deemed safe? Otherwise I would totally love these in my garden, maybe in a few potted plants indoors too? Would that work? In the video it looks like they have to be touched or exposed to light to glow, does that mean they are more like bio-luminous bacteria in the water, that glows like that when "stirred"?

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Bio luminescence in genetic applications... imagine being able to literally light up a room at will. That would be something.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join