It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright star? suddenly fades out. what was it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I took my dog for a walk. As she did her thing. I lookt up at the butiful half moon and Jupiter on the left of it. Then we turn around and walk. I look up and see what looks like a Very bright star. It was as bright as Jupiter.

I turn and look back at Jupiter and its the same. Then as I am looking at the star? It slowly fades away. It was Fixed in the sky. This took over two minutes then it fades. 3 seconds to fade.

The time was about 7:01pm GMT UK. It was just west of North. Just under 45' . Did I see a super nover? Or a space nuc go off, it was bright for to long for a nuc or a asteroid hitting the atmosphere.

I hope some one else sore this.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Scratchpost

When I see something that looks odd, I immediately check a flight tacking site, usually mutiple ones as the Flight data aps often miss some. Also most military flights will not show up.

ADSB-Exchange is one of the better ones.

Edit to add:
Also look at recent space launches too, especially if you a near(500 miles) a launch site.

While different than what you saw, the latest batches of SpaceX Starlink satellites launched from Cape Canaveral are deploying the satellites after about one orbit which puts them right over the middle of the US when it happens, especially with with launches thst happen shortly after sunset, we get a great view of the deployment which leads to many reports of UFOs especially on reddit.

nuforc.org... updates their database every month or 2, you can check your location and see if anyone else saw anything.

I saw something bizarre back in March of 2004 and elwhile I did not report it, I did look at NUFORC's database when I discovered there were several other sightings in my area that week...

edit on 17-1-2024 by jrod because: add more

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Scratchpost

Not a super Nova as that would have been international news.

Possible: Meteor
More likely: Iridium satellite very bright flash and quick to dim.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Wait till you see one of those flash four or five times, never to appear again. Freaky stuff.

We are SO small and have no idea of what lies beyond.

Personally, I laugh at our speck in the big scheme of things and god is a comedian who never speaks to us because he also can't stop laughing.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scratchpost
I took my dog for a walk. As she did her thing. I lookt up at the butiful half moon and Jupiter on the left of it. Then we turn around and walk. I look up and see what looks like a Very bright star. It was as bright as Jupiter.

I turn and look back at Jupiter and its the same. Then as I am looking at the star? It slowly fades away. It was Fixed in the sky. This took over two minutes then it fades. 3 seconds to fade.

The time was about 7:01pm GMT UK. It was just west of North. Just under 45' . Did I see a super nover? Or a space nuc go off, it was bright for to long for a nuc or a asteroid hitting the atmosphere.

What about a meteor?

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Oh, it was just another alien light-speed+ ship coming in to witness the celebration of our joining the cosmic league. It is a normal event for the members if not a bit more exciting for humanity.

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 06:36 PM
link   
i star gaze pretty much all evenings i'm not doing pitchers & watching sports

i have unknowingly sat down smack dab in a landing path , corridor, of a busy airport several miles distant...

its uncanny to see a bright 'star' fade away pretty quickly (as the airplane 'disappears' below the observers line-of-sight)
it took me 20 some minutes to realize that it was not Alien craft jumping dimensional portals after all...

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Reflection of light off of a stationary satelite possibly. The sun could be set for us but the light could still hit the satellite panels and make it glow under the right conditions..

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Reflection of light off of a stationary satelite possibly. The sun could be set for us but the light could still hit the satellite panels and make it glow under the right conditions..

That's another good explanation.
But you need to check whether any sort of satellite was in the given position. It may not be a stationary satellite after all.

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 04:08 AM
link   
yes , saw this just Bout 7 in bridlington. Not a meteor. very bright and multicoloured. static for about 3 mnutes, then it slowely diminished into a pinprick Excited, my fourth ufo sighting. Glad someone else saw ita reply to: Scratchpost

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 04:21 AM
link   
We can eliminate the possibility it was the ISS as that would have passed to the south half an hour earlier.

A meteorite would have moved quickly and only been visible for a few seconds.

It could have been an aircraft flying direct towards you with headlights on that then turned away?

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jomorojd
yes , saw this just Bout 7 in bridlington. Not a meteor. very bright and multicoloured. static for about 3 mnutes, then it slowely diminished into a pinprick Excited, my fourth ufo sighting. Glad someone else saw ita reply to: Scratchpost

was it North? how high? angle.

The north from UK is the north pole! odd!
so do Satellite just sit there in space?

Planets and most satalights are South.
I dont think it could be light reflecting from the sun off a Satellite.

I have seen ISS it moves Fast.
And no way near as bright as Jupitor.....

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 01:03 PM
link   

edit on 1/18/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2024 @ 03:14 PM
link   
An iridium flare from a Satellite. Watch for it at the same time and place over the next few days.

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 02:35 AM
link   

edit on 1/19/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2024 @ 08:09 AM
link   
No flare this was close

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scratchpost

I saw this .. omg i was wondering what that was.

Havnt read any replies yet.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Jomorojd

Im in Carlisle and you are a fair distance South and a lot more East from me.
The OP doesnt say where they are .
So we can assume this was not close to any of us.

Exciting and not the first time i have seen such a thing in the night sky.

join