It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's got a $2.5 billion wild hog problem. These states see the worst of it.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I would have thought someone could make a lotof dough with a few salami factories over there and it would reduce the wild hog population a bit too.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

is it because of parasites ?

I feed my dogs pig heart and liver every now and then

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LeviOtis

Yep...you reminded me... Amish country around my cabin...lots of farms.

One morning turned onto road, road filled with about 9-10 hogs. I stopped, laid on horn, they looked at me, and sauntered across...

I started to go when another group of.. 23 (TWENTY THREE) hogs of all sizes..then came into the road.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:47 AM
link   

We could feed the world from Michigans feral hog pop.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

My cousin lives in Michigan state I will need to ask him if he has seen any wild hogs , maybe get him to send me some pictures

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien1982

is it because of parasites ?

I feed my dogs pig heart and liver every now and then

Seems that advice was wrong, just something I picked up off other dog owners but according to this website its not too bad. linky

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Its funny because for years there has been a growing wild boar problem in the Forest of Dean area of Gloucestershire.
We arent allowed to hunt the things, but I know a few lads who nab a couple every now and then, the whole village gets free pork for a while and still the things multiply.

edit on rdpThu, 23 Nov 2023 09:05:57 -060020232023-11-23T09:05:57-06:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: spelling

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Creaky

Sorry but I don't buy the 'unclean' business.

everything alive eats everything alive until life ceases to exist then there is extinction from nothing to eat.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 05:09 PM
link   
But, but, the environmentalist say humans are making animals extinct, how come they're multiplying? That's sarcasm. A pig is really a clean creature, yet it rolls around in mud but if you've ever kept pigs you will see that they never ever roll in their own excrement. They go to the "toilet" in a certain area, never where they lie. But goats, they are the filthiest creatures out. Well if you like pork more power to your elbow.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Its not environmentalist tho its animal rights activits who dont want you to kull a population of introduced species. Enviros who are against population culls are not enviros.

"oh nooo you cant kill this beautiful cane toad" -- Ah yes we can, ant I would wager yoat you could even use a cane toad as a projectile in a modified spud gun to kill another introduced pest.

SHooting is a much more sound way to kull off introduced pests that 1080 baits or trapping.

So go out there and to your bit for the planet!

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Yes, a great step to solving world hunger is more people go "from sights to stomach".

So get out there, not all heros wear capes.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

goats are crazy man , the old males piss in their own beards to attract females

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I live on a farm and have farmed and ranched most of my life including my childhood. I gave up ranching for a small farm. I have dealt with the hog problems for the last two decades. I've got an idiot neighbor that rousts me and my family for carrying guns everywhere we go on our property.

So, I finally asked the knob, "have you ever run into a hundred pound hog?" He said, "No." I said, "Well, a hundred pound feral hog will shred you. And we've got feral hogs north of 300 pounds roaming around here." Plus, bears, mountain lions, coyotes, and feral dogs. He was dumbfounded.

My son was attacked jogging last year by a feral dog. Thankfully he had pepper spray and his ASP baton. People who live safely tucked away in suburbs have no idea what city or rural life is really like. Yet, somehow, they've become the loudest voice in America.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 06:40 AM
link   
These hogs breed like rabbits. Some of the issue comes from land owners not allowing the killings on their properties. The neighbors having issue with hogs destroying their crops, but the the non farmer next door not doing anything to help, allowing these creatures to multiply.

In Texas they have helicopters and airplanes that do aerial hunting on feral swine, also private helicopter hunts, it’s still not enough.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Yeah, I was wondering about that, since all the farm stores, and pet supply places sell pig ears for dogs.

Plus I use cooked ham scraps for training treats, with no issues.

So in MI, you can hunt Feral hogs any time of the year, and kill as many as you want. I'm guessing that is for farm land, not state land, but I need to do some more digging.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 04:35 PM
link   
i just got right into this

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien1982

I don't get the problem? Just millions of hogs to make millions of bacon butties?

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I’m pretty sure state and fed land is free permit. They might even pay you like they do coyotes.

Fer got to mention, one night in South Kacalaki with NODS (NVGs) on a training mission, wild hogs everywhere, that was part of our risk assessment. We could engage them on the range but not the deer….
edit on 24-11-2023 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I have hunted hogs in Texas with a 1911 45 auto and that was fun.
The best hogs are piglets around 5 to 8 months old.
You skin them with an air compressor and gut them, and then salt brine them for about 12 hours.
Then you hang them in the smokehouse for around 5 days with hickory or mesquite smoke.
The best way to do them if you get one alive is to feed them moonshine mash for about a week then kill them.
The mash gives them a good taste and it's fun watching them run around drunk from the sour mash.
plus, it's a very good way to get rid of your spent mash.

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Yeah, I was wondering about that, since all the farm stores, and pet supply places sell pig ears for dogs.

Plus I use cooked ham scraps for training treats, with no issues.

So in MI, you can hunt Feral hogs any time of the year, and kill as many as you want. I'm guessing that is for farm land, not state land, but I need to do some more digging.

Really does appear to be one of those urban myths. Kind of like how chocolate kills dogs. My old dog ate all the kid's advent calendars one year, all it did to him was make him look a bit guilty when we came home.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join