It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Teens Abusing Inhalants

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Can you tell if you or your teen is abusing inhalants? Perhaps we all abusing inhalants without even knowing sometimes.

More than a million American teenagers intentionally inhale the vapors of common household products like hairspray, shoe polish and glue each year and the number is rising, government officials say.

More and more teens are becoming addicted. As many as 123 million of people has abuse common known Inhalants in their lives. From helium to butane.

We tell our children to stay away from drugs and never to sniff coc aine but are we protecting...... really protecting them.

Read some facts.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
When I was younger, I used to work for one of the big 3 office supply chains, and our biggest selling item- and our highest theft product- was the canned air that you use for cleaning your keyboards.

Apparently, theres a way to bust the top off so that all the air rushes in at once, and gives you an intense high.

too bad the high lasts minutes, sometimes seconds- and these poor kids are killing themselves for a quick buzz.

In my opinion, we need to lay off the war on pot, and focus on the real dangers in life. If you teach responsible cannabis use, similar to the anti-drinking and driving programs, and the "bobquits.com" anti-smoking campaign, and focus on discouraging use- because everyone tries something they were told not to, no matter what- we'd see a decrease in the abuse of everything.

As a whole, society needs to get over the whole stigma that surrounds drug abuse- it's a fact of life, and if someone can't admit to their problem because it's a taboo, then what good are all the programs anyways?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
You know, I remember when my brother used to be always putting together model cars and the glue used then was not regulated like now, I think he was hooked on the cement glue.

I asked him in more than one occasion if he was into that stuff as a kid but he always said that he was not, he is now 43 and he is doing just fine.

Then in the seventies they came out with one that smelled like oranges and even I feel attracted to the smell.

I also remember the hair sprays, and spray deodorants, we have been all exposed one way or another on inhalants through our lives.

JAK

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
For anyone who might be thinking this kind of thing might be a quick giggle..

Inhaling aerosols is a game of chance. I know one girl and her friend who decided to try this in her room.

The friend died.

Later, when she could coherently talk about the incident through the broken hearted sobbing, the girl told that this was the very first time they had done anything like this.

There was no reason to lie - she had nothing to lose. It still rips my heart apart to think of this.

There are a million and one ways to feel good, to feel better than that too. The majority of them free, just requiring a little effort.

A sickening waste. A heartbreaking tragedy.

I don't know any of you personally, but for the sake of you and all those around you don't touch this

No-one is meant to go like that. It is roulette.

Jack

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
How true stories such as JAK's are....All it takes is one try for most drugs and you run the chance of becoming addicted, dying, or letting your addiction slowly kill you....

A simple "inhalant" few people tend to think of....Gas fumes! I guess now that we're paying near $3 a gallon, we can consider the fumes an added luxury item...but really, you get nothing positive, save a full tank, when you step outside to fill up your car...

I also know a few people who do whipits (nitrous oxide).....I saw a friend do about five in a row right in front of me - his face went DEEP purple, then he fell on me....Luckily I'm like a friggin tree trunk, so I was just able to brace his fall onto the hardwood floor....What a bunch of idiots...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I like sniffing Markers. Am I gonna die

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Sniffing markers

They have the fruit variety now for children in pre-school and elementary school, I spend an entire afternoon trying to see the connection between the smells and the flavors.

Yes the permanent black Markers are toxic that is something you should not play with.

I also became addicted to sniffing new tires when I was pregnant with my first child.

I used to go to sears just to be able to walk on the tire section.

It was embarrassing.

Now, my husband has a few friends when he was growing up that took their trips on oblivion using drugs and never came back.

Also my husband confess to me that he stop all kind of weird stuff when one day back in the seventies he took something while he was at the beach at night time with other friends and went for a swim he said that he found himself in the middle of the ocean and could not see the lights from the beach.

He got in a stage of panic that took away anything he was on, that is when he realized it was over.

I think we all had done some silly things but some of us get the reality check while others become victims of it.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Yes the permanent black Markers are toxic that is something you should not play with.

Dam i should stop then, but they just feel so dam good and smell pretty good too.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This is just a reminder to focus the conversation on inhalant abuse and its increase in popularity amongst teens rather than creating a big list of things that can get you “high”.
Thanks...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It does seem like the government is focusing on some of the wrong drugs. Inhalants can kill you on the first try and I have never seen an anti inhalant public service announcement...come to think of it the only anti-drug commercials I've ever seen were for marijuana.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The Partnership of a Drug Free American did a national survey of drug use for a period of two years this are the results.

inhalant abuse increased by 18 percent (from 22 to 26 percent) among 8th graders and by 44 percent (from 18 to 26 percent) among 6th graders.

Approximately one in four 8th graders - or almost one million youngsters - has reported trying an inhalant at least once in their lives. Inhalant abuse can cause brain damage and can lead to death, even at the trial stage.

The good news is that is a new inhalant education initiative educate children on the dangers of this addiction.

Illegal drug is down by 10 percent
Marijuana trial or lifetime use has declined
Ecstasy , which peaked in 2001, has declined

That is a positive view, but the down fall is that the new trend seems to be inhalants perhaps because they are available everywhere.

More information on the study please link here

www.drug-rehabs.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Ive inhaled duster and done Nitrous. Duster is seriously gross and so toxic it makes me sick just thinking about it. Nitrous can be dangerous if you do to much at a time. My friends and I call Nitrous "Hippie Crack" for a reason. Its addictive but it doesnt last long enough to really get anything out of it. Really not something you want to get strung out on : /

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It's sad what people do their bodies just to get high if even for a few seconds. I say anything that is not found/grow/created naturally should probably stay out of your body. Well in the case of getting high that is. I remember in my high school when kids would come to class with their mouth and nose covered with gold spray paint. Huffing, one of the fastest ways to kill your mind and body.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm so glad i dont have teens...Of course i worry about what my little grandchildren will do in a few years. it breaks my heart to think of them involved in something like this.

Why are humans so hell bent on intoxicating themselves? The idea of paradise would be narcotics for everyone instead of what it should be.
A drug free world. *shakes head*

I remember in high school (long ago) some kids would sniff glue. And those days it was the leave it to beaver generation- not many worries or cares. So this is nothing new, just keeps getting more sophisticated (if one can call it that) Resourceful is probably a better word.
Crazy.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I also became addicted to sniffing new tires when I was pregnant with my first child.

I used to go to sears just to be able to walk on the tire section.

new tires have an adictive smell? can you get high from it? i have a very valid reson for asking in my job i had become THE tire person the tire stockroom was mine. i was in charge of stocking (sometimes over 100 in a day). and generaly knowing where to find a paticular size/ style of tire. i know i always get tired but i just figured that was because of the sheer amount of work lugging, tossing and catching them. gives quite a workout. (i say was because i have been off work almost 6 months now due to a car accident). i could have said that i had touched almost every tire we have ever gotten at my store at least once. also my bosses office is a small corner in the tire stockroom and he has to spend a lot of time there. if you have a website or something please post it. i know that dureing the winter especialy when the heat is on that tires give off a wonderfull smell almost as nice as gas, exhaust and diesle fuel.

ase for other inhalents my father was at a mall once and walked into the john a bunch of teenagers had been spaying something into the blow drier and he started to feel nauchis(sry on spelling) and light headed.

i had a friend once who used to borrow ashma inhailers to get high from.

myself i prefered weed and alcohal. though spaypainting tends to get you high just by useing it propperly inside. (outside gives a bad finish unless there is no wind to throw up dirt and debris).

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
new tires have an addictive smell? can you get high from it? i have a very valid reson for asking in my job i had become THE tire person the tire stockroom was mine.

No, is not addictive is was a pregnancy thing, don't worry is none toxic, I was just attracted to it.

Pregnant women do all kind of weird things.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Almost all the effects from huffing are either, effectively, suffocation, or poisoning. Whippits, tho, (not when done with store bought cans i think) give a 'high' from, literally, anesthetizing yourself.

A anethesiologist is a doctor who specializes in working with these dangerous chemicals. And yet, we have half wits using them in basements.

But for the most parts inhalents don't even have an effect. What you normally are doing is filling your lungs with something that the blood can bind with, and, literally, suffocating your brain, for a few seconds. And thats if there isn't some toxic poison that wracks your lung tissues, invades your blood, and kills your cells.
Completely assinine.

I don't, haven't and won't, do that crap. I've seen lots of people using whippitts with the charger and crackers turn corpse blue and plummet to the ground, missing the sharp corner of a table and not missing the floor. Best thing to do, let 'em fall. Heck, they're looking to get stupififed, a concussion shoudl studify nicely.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Marg, take me to the closest tire shop and drop me off. I'd love to spend the day smelling that nasty rubber and I'M NOT PREGNANT.

Funny how we humans are.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
the various chemical inhalents are usually toxic and deadly

when i was in 10th grade (high school) my friend Tim got me to huff some spray paint with him once

it truely was hilarious expierance; i was laughing very very hard for NO reason...i think i was even staring at myself in a window just laughing

then it was over and
man i had a HUGE headache

i never tried any inhalents again; because well, they last 2minutes and leave you with physical pain it sucks

Tim , however; found himself in spraypaint heavenland...
and he huffed that crap for at least 20 to 30 more occassions (a weeklong extravaganza)

he got so far into huffin the paint;
that he was sitting in FRONT of school one morning... right before class
Huffin that paint in a bag....
Everyone was like "WTF TIM YOU JUNKIE STOP THAT CRAP!!!!"

i think i laughed harder at Tim's stupidity than i did while under the influence of the inhalent
Tim stopped huffing that day; because the ridicule was too great for him to bear...
looking back. im sure if he kept huffing; he would be dead by now
he got lucky

This is a perfect example of why Marijuana should be legal

Tim and I were potheads; and there was a 'dry spell' for a few months and Tim had become so desparate for a high he would try anything!
(i personally would NOT try anything)
I huffed with him that one time and learned my lesson!

If pot were legal; Tim would not have been seeking things like SPRAYPAINT or GASOLINE to huff
We would have been smokin our pot, like we always did

plus Pot is not deadly!
No Pot has never killed anyone from "Overdose"

Just try and prove me wrong

Find ONE newspaper article that gives sufficient evidence that "John Doe dies on marijuana overdose"
there is no credible newspaper article like that at all!

just try and find it!
you will find your wasting your time

sum it all up:::
Inhalents are deadly, addictive and destroy the intellect of any who use them
Marijuana is Safe, not physically addictive, and doesnt seem to destroy the intellect of the hundreds of millions who smoke it

Which should be illegal?
which should be in commercials on TV?

should the war on drugs spend 100billion$ fighting pot?
or should it use that resources to fight Inhalents, crack-cocain, or herion?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well....I dunno - It proves something a little different to me...

It means that your friend Tim was fixed on getting his daily high regardless, and you had the common sense to wait out the "bad weather"....

Most people Tim's age would have decided that he didn't care that people were ridiculing him for huffing and a worse fate may have come around for him....I'm sure that it was more likely that the comments you made to him only sunk in when other people noticed it.....

The use of marijuana is no hero in this story, as it relates to what the driving factor behind his addiction was…..It’s a clear symptom of teenage drug abuse….

And this is coming from a supporter of the safe use of marijuana….

top topics

<<   2 >>

join