It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Million Miles Away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Don't write many reviews. In fact just one other. But thought that this was worth bringing to the attention of the good people of ATS.

A Million Miles Away is a movie about the real life events of Jose Hernandez a migrant farm worker from Michocan, Mexico and how he had the dream to become an astronaut, and made it come true.

Perhaps it resonated with me for many reasons. I grew up in Denver with mostly the black community, but also the latino. And a lot of the scenes brought me back to that time. And I ended up marrying a Mexican woman. And when I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut. Of course I let my life go into another direction. But I enjoyed the story of tenacity, of being humble, of striving after your goals and achieving them. Of course my hopes and goals are different now, but I sat myself in his shoes and imagined what it would be like to be looking down on the earth one day. Surely all of the trials and tribulations and pains that we're put through in this brief time in this old system, well it doesn't really compare to what awaits us.

It's 2 hours long but didn't seem like that at all. In fact had to pause the movie a lot to talk and make comments with my wife while we were watching it this evening. I told her it felt like an old-school movie from back when I was a kid and it wasn't all about the big set pieces and the explosions. No violence, no murder, no immorality. They even show Jose waits until he gets married before "getting" with his wife. That took me by surprise. And it was a nice one. That is the way it should be.

Just leaving a little review here to bring attention to what I thought was a well made story and movie worth the time. On Amazon Prime.

edit on 24-9-2023 by randomuser because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: randomuser

I literally just got done watching this lol

It was a very good movie.....a friend said the book was also good

And yes def had a old skool vibe about it

Goes to show if you work hard enough you can just about achieve anything
edit on 25-9-2023 by TarantulaBite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Moron Spammer

edit on 9/25/2023 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Will definitely give this a watch. Think I recall his story when he first flew just read Hernandez's Wikipedia page such an accomplished man very inspirational story. Michael Peña is such a great actor too

en.wikipedia.org...#

Hernández has earned or been awarded:

Graduate Engineering Minority Fellow (GEM) (1985)
Hispanic Engineer National Achievement Award, "Outstanding Technical Contribution" (1995)
Society of Mexican American Engineers and Scientists (MAES) "Medalla de Oro" recipient for professional and community contributions (1999)
U.S. Department of Energy "Outstanding Performance Commendation" (2000)
NASA Service Awards (2002, 2003)
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory "Outstanding Engineer Award" (2001)
Upward Bound National TRIO Achiever Award (2001)
Eta Kappa Nu Electrical Engineering Honor Society member and awarded an honorary LL.D. degree from University of California at Santa Barbara (2006).
José Hernández Middle School, in San Jose, California, is named after him[14]
University of California, Santa Barbara 2015 Distinguished Alumnus[11]
United States Hispanic Leadership Institute, 2016 National Hispanic Hero Award
University of the Pacific 2019 Medallion of Excellence for outstanding and exceptional service to University of the Pacific, their profession and community.

edit on 25-9-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Very good film. An easy watch and yes was a kickback to 80s style movie.

8 out of 10 from me.

top topics

join