It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 5,500 exoplanets have been discovered since 1992

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 02:58 AM
link   
exoplanets.nasa.gov...#:~:text=Key%20Facts%3A%20Scientists%20have% 20discovered,an%20enormous%20M%20giant%20star.

On Aug. 24, 2023, over three decades after the first confirmation of planets beyond our own solar system, scientists announced the discovery of six new exoplanets, stretching that number to 5,502. From zero exoplanet confirmations to over 5,500 in just a few decades, this new milestone marks another major step in the journey to understand the worlds beyond our solar system.

The discovery: With the discovery of six new exoplanets, scientists have tipped the scales and surpassed 5,500 exoplanets found (there are now 5,502 known exoplanets, to be exact).

Just about 31 years ago, in 1992, the first exoplanets were confirmed when scientists detected twin planets Poltergeist and Phobetor orbiting the pulsar PSR B1257+12. In March 2022, just last year, scientists celebrated passing 5,000 exoplanets discovered

Key Facts: Scientists have discovered six new exoplanets — HD 36384 b, TOI-198 b, TOI-2095 b, TOI-2095 c, TOI-4860 b, and MWC 758 c — this has pushed the total number of confirmed exoplanets discovered to 5,502

So 5,502 exoplanets have been discovered since 1992 when the first exoplanets were confirmed. But does anyone remember the times where people had strong doubts about the existence of planets outside our solar system and even though we lived in modern times.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Zestefield

A star system is a star system. I never believed that the other stars, at least some, did not have planets like ours has. I never really discussed it with anyone that did not think the same way. Even before the discovery of the proof. Why would anyone think our star system would be the only one with planets?

Our star system is not unique except for the fact that we are here.
edit on 22-9-2023 by beyondknowledge2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge2

A star system is a star system. I never believed that the other stars, at least some, did not have planets like ours has. I never really discussed it with anyone that did not think the same way. Even before the discovery of the proof. Why would anyone think our star system would be the only one with planets?

Our star system is not unique except for the fact that we are here.

Maybe because humans place themselves at the centre of everything and want to be unique and special. Religion and philosophy have played significant roles.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Either there is life on other worlds are there are none.Both are equally scary..

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Fine ! now someone build us a god damm spaceship so we can go explore.
Engage !

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Religion and philosophy have played significant roles

How so ?
Even Drake's Equation , recently updated with many new factors entered ,comes out we may very well be alone.
Don't blame philosophy or religion , it's those pesky Laws of Probability .

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Religion and philosophy have played significant roles

How so ?
Even Drake's Equation , recently updated with many new factors entered ,comes out we may very well be alone.
Don't blame philosophy or religion , it's those pesky Laws of Probability .

Can I see the modified Drake Equation? Do you have a link?

The original Drake Equation predicts many many planets with extraterrestrial civilization that are active and communicative. And that's only in the Milky Way (our own galaxy). The Universe contains at least 750 billion of these galaxies

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Fine ! now someone build us a god damm spaceship so we can go explore.
Engage !

Even if we had a spaceship no way we get there...

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I don’t recall anyone ever having doubts about planets outside our star system. You get planets in the majority of star systems. At least the ones they cared to look at/had the technology to properly observe anyway.

The Sol system is quite unremarkable save for the existence of life on the third planet. If not for that fact it’d be a thoroughly average star system.
edit on 2292023 by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
I don’t recall anyone ever having doubts about planets outside our star system. You get planets in the majority of star systems.

The Sol system is quite unremarkable save for the existence of life on the third planet. If not for that fact it’d be a thoroughly average star system.

You would be surprised what people believed and currently believe on this issue.

Our solar system could have had life on many occasions in the past. Mars and Venus most likely had life given the amount of water once in these planets. Now if you go to Europa there is good chance we find life there, again given the amount of water it has.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I bet you in the next 30 years they will find out they messt up.
that it is some thing else and Not planets.
They Will try to hide it.

Thoe they could fool us forever.
we are losing the battle for freedom.

No! I am Not saying stars dont have planets!
just the way they say they find them.

you never know,
most stars may just have asteroid belts!
it may be the position of jupiter and saturn
that gave the Sun the 3 inner planets.

It may be that if you only have one gas giant,
you just get a big astroid belts,
insted of inner planets.

We have two gas giants and two very big planets.
that pulls a lot of space dust!
from falling into the Sun?

edit on 22-9-2023 by buddha because: Aliens

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I would bet my life, right now, that there is intelligent life out there.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Albert999

I agree.
I just hope they Never find us!

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Our star is a G-type yellow dwarf sequence star where as these six new exoplanets all have mostly M class dwarf stars:

HD 36384 b is a super-Jupiter that orbits an enormous M giant star.

TOI-198 b is a potentially rocky planet that orbits on the innermost edge of the habitable zone around its star, an M dwarf.

TOI-2095 b and TOI-2095 c are both large, hot super-Earths that orbit in the same system around a shared star, an M dwarf.

TOI-4860 b is a Jupiter-sized gas giant, or a “hot Jupiter,” that orbits an M dwarf star.

MWC 758 c is a giant protoplanet that orbits a very young star. This star still has its protoplanetary disk, which is a rotating disc of gas and dust that can surround a young star.

Our Sun is a G-type: "G-type stars are often mistakenly referred to as yellow dwarf stars. Our Sun is an example of a G-type star, but it is in fact white, since all the colors it emits are blended together. Nonetheless, even though all the Sun’s visible light is blended to produce white, its visible light emission peaks in the green part of the spectrum, but the green component is absorbed and/or scattered by other frequencies both in the Sun itself, and in Earth’s atmosphere.

Typical G-type stars have between 0.84 and 1.15 solar masses, and temperatures that fall into a narrow range of between 5,300K and 6,000K. Like the Sun, all G-type stars convert hydrogen into helium in their cores, and will evolve into red giants as their supply of hydrogen fuel is depleted."

Most of the other new six exoplanets are M-class: "Red dwarfs account for the bulk of the Milky Way galaxy’s stellar population, but since they are very faint, no red dwarf stars are visible without optical aid. Typically, red dwarf stars that are more massive than 0.35 solar masses are fully convective, which means that the process of converting hydrogen into helium occurs throughout the star, and not only in the core, as is the case with more massive stars.

In this way, the nuclear fusion process is slowed down and at the same time greatly prolonged, which keeps the star at a constant luminosity and temperature for several trillion years. In fact, the process of nuclear synthesis happens so slowly in these that the Universe is not old enough for any known red dwarf star to have aged into an advanced state of evolution."

It would seem likely to me that if these red dwarfs age so slowly that life on the planets orbiting them could have advanced intelligent life, just throwing that out there.

www.astronomytrek.com...
edit on q00000041930America/Chicago2424America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

edit on q00000056930America/Chicago3636America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Albert999

Most likely

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 08:04 AM
link   

But does anyone remember the times where people had strong doubts about the existence of planets outside our solar system and even though we lived in modern times.

That was down to a modicum of hubris on our part as much as it was our inability to detect extrasolar planets at the time.

We like to think we are somehow special or unique, same with our world.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Yeah, that was a few years ago. Sure, there are people that believe all kinds of silly stuff.

I had a friend in high school that was going early bald, but putting hair on his chest like crazy. He actually believed the hair on his head was rooting on his chest.

People believe anything. But no, even most fundamentally religious people no longer believe that.

Get off your high horse about what other people believe and don't believe. Ive known some very religious people with very high IQ. Mensa level IQ. Genius.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

But does anyone remember the times where people had strong doubts about the existence of planets outside our solar system and even though we lived in modern times.

That was down to a modicum of hubris on our part as much as it was our inability to detect extrasolar planets at the time.

We like to think we are somehow special or unique, same with our world.

True because people have been trained to think they're unique and special. Even now this mentality is quite prevalent.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I blame the bumper stickers and the fact that competition amongst our younglings has pretty much been outlawed in our respective educational establishments.

Every wean is special, every wean gets a prize, and it's groups that win as opposed to the individual.

No wonder they all think they are ""special"".

Better be careful now at the risk of someone playing the I'm offended card i suppose.

Anyhoo, i digress.
edit on 22-9-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I blame the bumper stickers and the fact that competition amongst our younglings has pretty much been outlawed in our respective educational establishments.

Every wean is special, every wean gets a prize, and it's groups that win as opposed to the individual.

No wonder they all think they are ""special"".

Better be careful now at the risk of someone playing the I'm offended card i suppose.

Anyhoo, i digress.

Well the reason for every child gets acknowledgement is seeded in child psychology whereby each child is encouraged not discouraged.

As for university, the variations of student achievement awards are numerous and have to be earned.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join