It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sadness of the eyes of the Japanese elderly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I've been cycling now in Japan for the last 4 years and I've traveled pretty much in the center of Japan and did some traveling in Okinawa.
The elderly that's been self-employed for generations are caught up into the Quagmire of surviving on the Japanese pension.
I get the Japanese pension myself but it's kind of like what maybe one two weeks worth of pay for food that's about it and we get paid every two months.
Today I was at a grocery store and I watch this lady she must have been close to well over 85 years of age and you know they have this rum and that's in the styrofoam that you pour hot water on she had about six of them and some other stuff in her grocery basket and I looked at her and and it's like so sad that she has to eat like that at her age.
People think Japan is very wealthy country well if you go to the cities the bigger cities and see people spend $1,000 $2,000 at a bar then you probably agree with that but the countryside and the average well I don't want to say average I don't know the average is here but people are struggling and the elderly even myself I'm up there in age it's if it wasn't for that I worked in America and got the American social security it would be a horrible to live in this country but then again with my social security to live in America I couldn't cut it no I couldn't cut it at all.
But this is about the sadness of the elderly with their eyes showing so much despair and sorrow and pain and hurt and trying to survive off the government pension in this country seriously people the elderly that are self-employed they really work until they drop they have no other choice unless their family helps them out.
Times are very difficult in this country the prices well just imagine what the prices have gone up worldwide here in Japan the prices have gone up even more for imports because of the Japanese yen to buy imports and cheese which used to be pretty reasonable it's like you can barely afford it seriously I don't know how all these pizzeria joints are doing maybe cutting back on their cheese or using vegetable style type cheeses.
But all I can say is that really I see a lot of sadness in the Japanese people's eyes of the elderly like why you know they work they made the sacrifice they put their energies into this country and now they still have to work until they drop and they're eating dry ramen out of the styrofoam little packages it's terrible people I really tell you it's really terrible.
edit on 0800000030492023-08-23T05:49:30-05:00493008am5 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic
Oh dear music!!!! I think you aught to edit your OP title from "The sadness of the Japanese eyes of the elderly", to "The sadness of the eyes of the Japanese elderly". WHY? because all the British people on ATS KNOW what a Japanese eye is and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Japanese or Eyes.

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Oh dear music!!!! I think you aught to edit your OP title from "The sadness of the Japanese eyes of the elderly", to "The sadness of the eyes of the Japanese elderly". WHY? because all the British people on ATS KNOW what a Japanese eye is and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Japanese or Eyes.

Okay I added it I hope I did it right because the the sadness of what I've seen of the elderly and I'm having to be up there also which really caught my attention.
And I've been cycling here for the last 4 years all around Japan and it's about the same of course I see happy people with happy expressions and but the sadness of the elderly going to the grocery store and buying those dry ramen in those styrofoam packages really just it's just unbelievable how sad it is to see it.

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I could be cycling in Japan right and not see those elderly. How old are you?

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I really think this boils down to because they are elderly. They've lived a lot more and have seen and experienced things that the younger generation have no conception of or just generally deny anything that doesn't fit their world view. The elderly can see how the younger generation are being manipulated and moulded into what the powers want of them and it aint pretty. But when you try and tell them they ignore you or just shun your points, but you know what's coming and it aint good for the elderly.

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: boozo
I could be cycling in Japan right and not see those elderly. How old are you?

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I think that it really is about trying to live on a low fixed income.

Regular tourists don't usually go to grocery stores. They go to restaurants, clubs, bars, and convenience stores.

I live on a fixed income which wouldn't even cover the average rent where I live. I'm fortunate that a relative through marriage allows me to rent a room in his house.

That leaves me enough to grocery shop sometimes twice a month, sometimes once a month. The elderly can be seen in the grocery store, trying to use every coupon, sale, or discount. Inflation really hurts.
edit on 23-8-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 11:29 AM
link   

This is the inevitable fate of the elderly in any country that has a debt based fiat currency system. Greece should have been a wake up call for everyone else. The bankers must be paid, and if that means letting the elderly starve, well, what are they going to do? Vote?

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   

That is sad and I can empathize with them.

The upside however is that year over year there will be ever fewer elderly Japanese with sad eyes because the birth rate is so low it's self-extinguishing.

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Unfortunately what you are seeing is the fruit of a lifetime buying into the social compact horsesh!t.

Let it be a warning to those with eyes to see.

posted on Aug, 23 2023 @ 05:39 PM
link   

What wage would be very comfortable living in rural Japan? Eg, nice house, enough to cover mid size toyota car, utilities, and comfortably cover eating normal groceries from grocery store.

I think you mentioned housing is very cheap as people are aging, and no one replacing them?

posted on Aug, 24 2023 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Societies are different the world over. Here you have to be 70 and then you get 600Baht or about $18 dollars a month social security from the government. You also get 500 Baht $15 a month for each child.

You must be a citizen with a citizen's card to get money though as illegals or non residents are handled differently. The last thing I read about the illegals coming to America is they get $2200 a month which is more than the people who worked and retired in the states. That is some sick stuff IMO !

Here the elderly are taken care of by their children; that is why you see multi-generational homes and families living together. The young go off to work and if there are kids the elderly take care of the children. This system works well for a family however they are not breeding enough to replace the population as the last time I looked it was somewhere around 1.34 which is behind Vietnam (1.96) and the Philippines @ 2.78 per woman. COVID since 2020 screwed up the numbers as social distancing and businesses closing hurt all segments of any society.

500 Baht a month will not pay for school food and transportation much less clothes. My wife's Niece's food is 50 Baht a day in school and transportation (buss) is 600 a month. Good news is government medical care is almost free at a military hospital or government hospital.

So bottom line it cost to live and survive anyplace you want to look, however the elderly around here seem to be busy and happy with family stuff...

new topics

top topics

join