It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have people lost their creativity

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Social media has created a generation of watchers rather than doers.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I noticed this when I watch modern movies and listen to the latest pop songs. I think I remember someone predicting this as the Industrialisation of music. The investors do not like risk so the producers go for remakes as the originals did ok but the real creative talent just isn't there anymore. I go through the list of comedies for a bit of light relief, but they just are no longer funny. I think this is a problem that seems to affect the West, Hollywood seems to be so rich it kills off the real talent, and you end up with a growing list of garbage, no real storyline, and plenty of bangs for visual effect.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

" Have people lost their creativity "

Yes , and Some have even also LOST Their Sense of Humor .

I think many people never learn what that is.

Just like a sixth sense or common sense. We have many senses beyond the sniffy sounding eyeball touchy tastey ones.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 05:43 PM
link   
All these kids here in the UK are playing the games on their units, ipads, game boys, it just they are totally plugged into something else. Wen I was a kid we toiled the soils and did the spud pickin on your hands and knees with a basket. We dipped tye sheep i n the dip by hand. We picked mushrooms some of tehm did us a creative edge, put em in a pan or even a kettle, take em down, get creative. Even our cars once we gained the skills to drive, we'd go aftermarketrs and get the go-faster stripes and apply them by hand, stick a 'sport' badge on the tails gate, fit a nice pair of alloys, fir a CB radio (holy smoke they were non Utlity controlled
) and dress ourselves with second hand clothes that were creative in itself. We'd play outside, look at the satrs. Get one on one with nature. Find birdies fascinating, buzzards, Tails twitchers. Go to all night Raves, come too a few days later half ways across the country, wonder how we got there. Play with paper planes, play poo sticks................ Oh that was so much fun, it got better much better even hours after hours playing it.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Thank you of reminding my how good the Before Times actually were.

I'm trying to remember and that helped.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

You are much more then welcome GENERAL EYES x

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: vonclod
Everytime I see a "trend" in whatever form of social media..this is what I think. People are just dumbed down so much, they cannot be original/creative on their own, without being led by the nose.

People look to social media for entertainment as well, instead of getting off your ass and doing something, they have their nose in the phone.

A perfect example of this is that people will not buy an antique but instead get a cheap reproduction of that antique AND pay more for it to decorate their house with. The reproduction does not have the utility capabilities or the unique craftsmanship of the antique.

I see this all the time.

I actually had someone argue with me on social media because they believed something I had was lasercut because a lot of people can’t differentiate actual craftsmanship anymore…

I work with vintage audio equipment, mostly 70's and up, but we do fix 1920s and up stand up radio's/consoles. Funny enough, a few were questioning the front panel of one stand up radio(circa 20s-30s), it had an intricately carved front panel, that a few were swearing was made of plastic..lol, no, just carved wood with a glossy finish.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Absolutely. Being an old music teacher/guitar n stuff...its not the same anymore. Anyone can "create" anything with a click.

Is that being creative? I think so , yes...sadly. But hey. I have synthesizers to, and blog a bit..., creativity abounds to the creative mind. Artistically, its everywhere.

Cant you tell my wife n I are always at Art Fairs? But, its kinda odd thinking that with AI...we'll never really tell...anything.

Stay good J, you n yours

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Originality is a rare bird in the modern age. Whilst not creatively exhausted, we have reached a point of saturation, I feel. A time when many fundamental concepts and ideas have already been touched on and everything else is like a review. This is one perspective.

Another perspective for me is that generally, hard times and suffering drive the creative aspect of the human spirit and many people are far too comfortable.

The very nature of memes are the recycling and repurposing of pop culture, imo

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 08:21 AM
link   
We're less creative because we're constantly being bombarded with new input and never take the time to digest it. Before the digital age people got bored; a good side effect was people applying themselves to various creative pursuits. Now, nobody gets bored as there is always new content to be found online. Much of it may not be satisfying and to my point does nothing for us personally; does not help us grow, comprehend the world or ourselves or develop skills that enrich us in countless ways. What's missing is time to reflect and for organic responses to come from within. Modern life has become like riding a fast train trying to read billboards but not having the chance to finish before the next one comes along. It's like wandering a collage landscape from the mind of a schizophrenic.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

You get post of the month for that ^^ totally awesome

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Well art classes are still taught in school and there are curricular activities in university art schools for school children so it would depend on a child's exposure.

I've seen some creativity applied to copied art and some of it is quite impressive, even cutting and pasting something new can be something 'new'. If we look at Andy Warhol, to me, that was using existing art/photos and cutting and pasting and adding color and symmetry or not. To me it's the same thing.

As for food art, there is an explosion there and not only visually but artistic creativity in taste.

They say everything has been done before, maybe so, but not in quite the same way in these technological times because never have there been previous technological times.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Did you know? My music group was a landmark case of holding copyrights of "versions".in the 1960s in Detroit-Ohio....I can standup and sing and jam and record with whoever.on video...and record me and Foo fighters say..whomever...without permission?

Copyright law allows me to take any bands video..without permission (yes, I'm an owner and aware).....and can COPYRIGHT my performance w their video. That can be copyrighted separately . BUUUUUUTTT?

You can show it, use it, put it up somewhere...it's your copyright now...of performing a classic copyrighted piece of YOUR PERFORMANCE version. But, you can't make $$, off it or promote. Any deeper, making clicks or $$ without that bands video copyright permission-of-use. That without permission, is copyright infringement (for gain) without permission of legal holder.

Creatively speaking? Basically...I can paint doodles around a copy of a Picasso- known painting...and copyright THAT work. This AI is heading the way of whats real...or what isn't.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Anymore when I ask someone something I expect to hear, "as a language model I'm not programed to answer this" because we've offloaded our thinking to the machine. It truly has become their society.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 10:52 AM
link   

The irony I see is that JAGStorm CREATED A THREAD, people thought about her premise and Created a post in response to her ideas.

It may not be high art but ATS is still a springboard for creative members. It may not be printed on paper but efforts that yield SOMETHING created on the internet still takes creative effort.

Perhaps it still boils down to "Art is in the eyes of the beholder" I see it everywhere and always looking for inspiration for my own work. ATS is a goldmine!!

Aesthetics is tricky that way....

edit on 13-6-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

The irony I see is that JAGStorm CREATED A THREAD, people thought about her premise and Created a post in response to her ideas.

It may not be high art but ATS is still a springboard for creative members. It may not be printed on paper but efforts that yield SOMETHING created on the internet still takes creative effort.

Perhaps it still boils down to "Art is in the eyes of the beholder" I see it everywhere and always looking for inspiration for my own work. ATS is a goldmine!!

Aesthetics is tricky that way....

ATS is a prime example of the literary art created from the minds of members here, so I suppose you are right 'art is in the eye of the beholder'. As an artist, I can be looking at a mechanic's garbage heap and see an artistic rendering in my mind's eye...the artist as the beholder or the non-artist as the beholder? Therein may lie the difference.

ETA

It may be more of promoting or teaching originality rather than creativity.
edit on q00000056630America/Chicago1919America/Chicago6 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Everyone wants VR, but the premise of "if you can imagine it, you can live it" that VR holds will never come to pass if no one can imagine anymore.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The world's gone mad mate no two ways about it

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I have considered making a very similar thread Jag! I actually have a theory on this exact thing.
The problem isn’t CREATIVITY, the problem is ORIGINALITY!!!

How is one to be creative without originality? How is one supposed to be original when the world bombards you with everything and everyone being connected through the internet?

I cannot tell you how many times in my life in the past 20+ years that I thought I had an amazing great idea, only to hop online and see that it has already been done. Plus, in most cases not just done, but done to a point where you immediately feel inadequate in comparison when talking about creativity or originality.

How can one be original when walking in the steps of another? One could be creative, but not original, which is what I believe has led to a decrease in overall creativity.

What humanity needs to boost its creativity instead of useless tiktok videos, would realistically be the next big advancement in human technology.
We have been riding the Big Wave of the Internet for the past few decades. What we are seeing is the breaking of the wave. Who knows what that could be. Very few people, if anyone, foresaw the overall effect and impact that the internet, computers, and smartphones would have on us. We have all been witnessing it in real time and for the first time in our known history we are doing it together as a world, interconnected through technology.

The birth will be glorious.

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Modern life has become like riding a fast train trying to read billboards but not having the chance to finish before the next one comes along. It's like wandering a collage landscape from the mind of a schizophrenic.

Now that was Creative.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join