It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida cop charged after tasing man at gas station, setting him ablaze

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 03:20 PM
link   

A Florida sheriff’s deputy has been criminally charged for firing a Taser at a man pumping gas, igniting a fireball that burned nearly three-quarters of his body — with the victim’s lawyer railing, “They’re supposed to be our protectors, not our ignitors.”.

FLORIDA MAN AT GAS PUMP INGITITED BY COPS TASER

“Kill the pump! Kill the pump! There’s gas!” he is heard shouting after another deputy, Christopher Koffinas, used his stun gun on the suspect.

Seconds later, as the suspect lay in a pool of gasoline, Crawford raised his Taser.

“You’re gonna get tased again, dude!” he shouted before firing the weapon and igniting the explosive blaze.

Now I love to see a good tasering!!

Do not tase me bro!!

The police officer could of been facing felony charges
he is being let off pretty easy being charged with just
a misdemeanor.

Was this really necessary??

The cop caught not only the wreck less motorcyclist
but his partner on fire also !!
Thanks a lot jack!!

The guy was being followed for driving his motorcycle like a jack ass..
It is a motorcycle yes you could hurt someone else but in all likely
hood him speeding doing wheelies passing cars in non passing lanes ect.
really would just of killed him..

This guy pumping gas at the time was no threat ..

He also called on the state legislature to make it possible to file a felony charge, not just a misdemeanor, in similar cases.

“I don’t think it speaks to the severity of the negligence and the severity of the injuries, but I think that it addresses the crime under the current statute,” he said, Fox 35 reported.

The culpable negligence charge is the same one López recommended to the state attorney’s office last May, when he pointed out the deputies acknowledged the gas pumps and the risk of fire.

I know this was a adrenaline rush mistake and it is sad
this cops career is most likely over..

In times like these HEROS really step up and DO MORE..
YES the cops need to do even better. We all do, but not
all us took an oath and a check to police the populace....
edit on 26-5-2023 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Dumb cop, reminds me of the one in Colorado where they left her in the squad car on the train tracks until it got hit by the train. She is suing their pants off

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: starfoxxx

You're expecting a cop to be held to the same standards as us ? To not escalate so they can go hands on and have an excuse ?

Dude. Where have you been ?

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 05:15 PM
link   

it is sad this cops career is most likely over..

Not sad. He chose the wrong career if can't control his adrenaline and ends up damaging the rest of the entire life over hardly anything.

Everything this cop did was wrong. He should not only lose his job, but also face some sort of criminal charge.

Imagine if you were pumping gas and we're considered possibly driving recklessly, only for the cop to immediately escalate this situation and light you on fire.

Reminds me of when the cops shot down a guy who was having trouble following ridiculous commands. I think he avoided facing criminal charges.

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Turquosie

it is sad this cops career is most likely over..

Not sad. He chose the wrong career if can't control his adrenaline and ends up damaging the rest of the entire life over hardly anything.

Everything this cop did was wrong. He should not only lose his job, but also face some sort of criminal charge.

Imagine if you were pumping gas and we're considered possibly driving recklessly, only for the cop to immediately escalate this situation and light you on fire.

Reminds me of when the cops shot down a guy who was having trouble following ridiculous commands. I think he avoided facing criminal charges.

I am happy no one died..

I imagine the victims balls got burnt pretty bad
so he may not be able to have children too.

I am not sticking up for the officer all to often
they get stuff thrown at them they shouldn't..
This case the officer does deserve a little flack.

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

You're expecting a cop to be held to the same standards as us ? To not escalate so they can go hands on and have an excuse ?

I'm pro-cop (anti defund the police), but this cop was a complete idiot/jackass.
I don't see why the innocent taxpayer should be made to foot this lawsuit bill

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

originally posted by: DAVID64

I'm pro-cop (anti defund the police), but this cop was a complete idiot/jackass.
I don't see why the innocent taxpayer should be made to foot this lawsuit bill

Because cops are supposed to be serving us, they are public servants, funded by public funds. When they make a mistake because of incompetence, poor training or just poor judgment, their employer is the people, and their employer pays the damages.

Cops costs us all a LOT more money than we all think. Billions of dollars are wasted for lawsuits that could be avoided with better hiring, screening and training.

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx

A Florida sheriff’s deputy has been criminally charged for firing a Taser at a man pumping gas, igniting a fireball that burned nearly three-quarters of his body — with the victim’s lawyer railing, “They’re supposed to be our protectors, not our ignitors.”.

“Kill the pump! Kill the pump! There’s gas!” he is heard shouting after another deputy, Christopher Koffinas, used his stun gun on the suspect.

Seconds later, as the suspect lay in a pool of gasoline, Crawford raised his Taser.

“You’re gonna get tased again, dude!” he shouted before firing the weapon and igniting the explosive blaze.

Do not tase me bro!!

a misdemeanor.

Thanks a lot jack!!

He also called on the state legislature to make it possible to file a felony charge, not just a misdemeanor, in similar cases.

“I don’t think it speaks to the severity of the negligence and the severity of the injuries, but I think that it addresses the crime under the current statute,” he said, Fox 35 reported.

The culpable negligence charge is the same one López recommended to the state attorney’s office last May, when he pointed out the deputies acknowledged the gas pumps and the risk of fire.

Man was at the Wrong Place at the Wrong Time . Sheet Happens ...

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It could have ended so much worse. As in the whole station exploding and people dying. A good cop needs to keep their wits about them in those high octane moments.

After all, adrenaline rushes are a constant in their line of work. They need better training.
edit on 1931202300000031bFri, 26 May 2023 19:26:19 -05002023000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx

Do not tase me bro!!

a misdemeanor.

Thanks a lot jack!!

How many times have cops pulled a gun, and shot the criminal... just to be blasted, or prosecuted for not using a TASER?

Dude used his TASER... and BOOM.

Maybe he should have shot him... in the leg... as our President often suggests...
edit on 26-5-2023 by madmac5150 because: Replaced a ? with ... literally.

posted on May, 26 2023 @ 11:57 PM
link   
well florida is the lowest educated state so you know there's that.

posted on May, 27 2023 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
well florida is the lowest educated state so you know there's that.

US News ranks Florida as #1 in the nation with regards to education... so, you know... there's that...

Nice try, though...

(I don't even live in Florida!)

www.usnews.com...
edit on 27-5-2023 by madmac5150 because: Yarr squared

edit on 27-5-2023 by madmac5150 because: ..

edit on 27-5-2023 by madmac5150 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join