It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Migrant Crackdown in Florida a Land Grab

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

I'm just going by the premise suggested. That if you lowered the Minimum Wage for Students, then, that would basically force them to either work for less, or gain more skills for the company to justify a higher wage, since a minimum wage doesn't stop a company from paying more if they deem it good for business.

So instead of taking advantage of migrants we should allow businesses to take advantage of children. NO that’s not the answer!

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Because they wouldn't be getting paid more for something else if there was a student based minimum wage.

Imagine that Technology to Pick Fruit in 20 Years . With Advanced A.I. , It Might even Peel and Can it at the Same Time with No WASTE......

edit on 15-5-2023 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I'm just going by the premise suggested. That if you lowered the Minimum Wage for Students, then, that would basically force them to either work for less, or gain more skills for the company to justify a higher wage, since a minimum wage doesn't stop a company from paying more if they deem it good for business.

So instead of taking advantage of migrants we should allow businesses to take advantage of children. NO that’s not the answer!

I added a line to my post while you were posting.

I don't agree with it.

We have no problem paying people fair wages to harvest crops here in Canada, so not sure what happened in the States, but it's definitely possible to pay fair wages and have no need of illegal migrants.

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   

We have no problem paying people fair wages to harvest crops here in Canada, so not sure what happened in the States, but it's definitely possible to pay fair wages and have no need of illegal migrants.

I don’t think you can really compare Canada to the US. Our population is significantly larger.

Here’s the other thing, some of these place actually DO pay a good wage (20lbs) but the problem is that Americans JUST DON’T want to do it. They really don’t. I think our agricultural days are long gone.

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I don’t think you can really compare Canada to the US. Our population is significantly larger.

Here’s the other thing, some of these place actually DO pay a good wage (20lbs) but the problem is that Americans JUST DON’T want to do it. They really don’t. I think our agricultural days are long gone.

You actually kind of make my point for me when you say your population is larger.

Yes, but our country is bigger, with just as much farmland. Less people (1/10th) to harvest it, yet, we do it and still manage to pay them fair wages.

Should be even easier for the States, but change is hard. Especially if, like you say, people just don't wanna do it.
edit on 5/15/2023 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Back when talkies were a quarter, there wasn't a welfare system that paid people to have children and support them until school age. Maybe that was the first wrong turn?

So let me see if I'm following you, you're outraged that illegals will do this for less than American college students, so your plan is to pay Americans even less money than the illegals. That about sum it up?

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem
I'm just going by the premise suggested.

See above for my assessment of this government interventionist policy.

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Maybe there will be some jobs making pickers and canners for awhile, until the robots can do that too.

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Do you consider 16 and up to be children? There are child labor laws that I am not proposing to change.

How many 16 year olds are crossing the border? Some already are bringing their own children with them! Children bringing children, you've heard stories like that, correct?
edit on 5/15/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: MykeNukem
I'm just going by the premise suggested.

See above for my assessment of this government interventionist policy.

Yea, I don't agree with that at all. Should never pay your own people less, screw that.

I'm no economist or whatever you would have to be to analyze this properly, but in my mind it seems that increasing automation, and paying Americans more to run the machines remotely, HD mechanics to fix them, etc., would eliminate the reliance on the illegals. I think that stage is coming soon, there won't be much of a choice once automation reaches a certain % of saturation. When that happens, uneducated illegal migrants won't cut it, anymore.
edit on 5/15/2023 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Who said pay students less than migrants? I didn't.

Alot of the harvesting work here is piece rate. You get paid by how much you pick.

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Who said pay students less than migrants?

Illegals typically make close to minimum wage or less, it's simple math from there.

edit on 15-5-2023 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I'll add a suggestion you may like, Rick.

Swap out summer school for full-pay field/farm work, or at LEAST offer it in exchange for some portion of it.

I think it might go a very long way in being the kick to the personal responsibility ass most folks grew up to completely lack anymore.

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 08:22 PM
link   

yeah its a popular thing to tell kids to go to college, especially in rural areas and get to the city and make all the money

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: starfoxxx

The job sounds like a decent job to me. If I were younger I would have liked to do a job like that. I could have worked here in summer construction of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and went down there for the winters and picked oranges and had some fun while doing it. Work can be fun, it does not have to be all serious like many places have made it.

It would have been nice to do something like that back in the seventies when I was in my twenties.

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

I'll add a suggestion you may like, Rick.

Swap out summer school for full-pay field/farm work, or at LEAST offer it in exchange for some portion of it.

I think it might go a very long way in being the kick to the personal responsibility ass most folks grew up to completely lack anymore.

That actually sounds like a good idea. the young could earn some money and learn. These non-paid apprenticeships these days suck...I know half a dozen kids that did those and all they did is work the same job as they would get paid for at a learning rate. Farm work usually has a starting pay plus incentive pay for production during picking times. If you are kind of lazy, you only make maybe minimum wage and if you do not produce enough to pay your starting pay they send you home. Farms, like every business, need to pay their bills...they also do not know what their product will sell for till it actually sells. Commodity market fluctuation is hard on the farm industry.

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The problem isn't Migrant workers, they are temporary workers with permission to be and work in the Country legally. What Governor DeSantis is attempting to do is get rid of illegal people coming into and living in the state. As I've told countless people before. No Country, at least that I know of, wants undocumented people living in their Country. A Country that allows anyone to just come in through the border without some way of finding out; who they are and were they're going, is a Country that just through away their own sovereignty and defence.

Let me give you an example. My Mother in-law who is from Colombia, used to bitch about why didn't this Country let in the people that wanted to cross our borders and live a better life here. My answer was, because no Country wants just anybody to walk in illegally. She lived with us helping take care of our Son for a few years (legally), then went back to Colombia. Guess what has happened over there? Venezuelans are illegally crossing the Colombian border to get away from the troubles in their own Country. Guess what my Mother in-law is bitching about now? You guessed it.

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Citrus crop was gutted by the fungus several years ago its still way below what it used to be, even though trees that survived it are producing fruit again. (my dad had a few hundred trees about 50 randomly started producing eatable fruit again is where I get my information from)

he pickers aspect was on the decline when I was a kid in florida 30+ years ago its been declining as technology can do the job cheaper and faster.

People cleared and approved to be here wont have a problem getting work, they are trying to make it illegal to get what biden wants to ship there..

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 11:33 PM
link   
martin county here.

back in the day we'd wait for the truck to come around the roller rink filled with fresh picked watermelons by mexicans maybe cubans. the freedom flights were going on at the time.

awesome. .15 cents ea iirc.

we had some land along the st lucie across the road from an orange farm we'd ride our horses through once in a while.

grab a nice orange to take back.

i knew more illegal mexicans in humble tx. and some boat people. but they were legal i think.

instead of illegals, what about offering vets a job?

edit on 03/22/2022 by sarahvital because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join