It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Father of AI Quit Google To Warn The World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 03:54 AM
link   
"Houston (ATS), we have a problem..."

Or do we?

It seems AI is all the rage as people flock to places like ChatGPT to find answers and solutions to "improve" their lives if we're being honest.

Yes, AI can do some amazing things but what's the price?

Just this Monday, Google computer scientist Geoffrey Hinton, the 'God father' of AI tweeted:

"In the NYT today, Cade Metz implies that I left Google so that I could criticize Google. Actually, I left so that I could talk about the dangers of AI without considering how this impacts Google. Google has acted very responsibly."

Geoffrey recently resigned from Google over his concerns, but not in a way that would make Google look bad.

His major concern with AI right now is that, "Microsoft has augmented its Bing search engine with a chatbot; challenging Google's core business, and now Google is racing to deploy the same kind of technology. The tech giants are locked in a competition that might be impossible to stop," said Hinton.

Meaning it's a race now, and perhaps it always was, but now it's official and AI development and implementation is all but certain and wide reaching.

Which brings up a point that I had made about it to a friend of mine which is the loss of human authenticity. Mr. Hinton thinks the same:

One of his most immediate concerns is that the internet will be flooded with fake videos, photos, and news, and the average person will "not be able to know what is true anymore."

How do you address that?

Here's a scenario to think about: Remember all the data being collected on everyone and being stored in massive data collection centers around the country?

Well, that's to feed the the algorithm(s), as most YouTubers would say. It has been stated that the data collected is an absolute complete portrait of who you are that's better than you know yourself!

When AI and quantum computing combine, that may very well start the clock on our doom as everything can be fine tuned to either build you up or tear you down. The amount of pinpointed manipulation that could be unleashed is horrifying, but I digress..

Mr. Hinton received a Nobel Prize in computing and his work is what led to chatbot technology advancement.

So he opened Pandora's Box and now he's concerned?

No, actually he had concerns throughout his R&D process, he seemed conflicted by refusing to sign the letter urging developers to pull back on the reigns, because he didn't want to throw shade on the industry or Google.

What this says to me overall is that WE ARE NOT READY FOR THIS, but we're moving it along like it's just the new iphone feature when it's exponentially more complex than that.

Goldman Sachs chief economist Jan Hatzius stated:

"Using data on occupational tasks in both the US and Europe, we find that roughly two-thirds of current jobs are exposed to some degree of AI automation, and that generative AI could substitute up to one-fourth of current work. Extrapolating our estimates globally suggests that generative AI could expose the equivalent of 300 million full-time jobs to automation" as up to "two thirds of occupations could be partially automated by AI."

This is real deal stuff here folks, the next decade is going change everything. I think the concern is the void that AI will leave in just about every aspect of what we think makes us special and human. AI will do it all eventually, and better than any of us ever could.

It may be too late to even have these conversations, but I hope not.

How do our illustrious HUMAN members here feel about this trajectory were on?

I think it'll be fantastic at first and a lot will be accomplished then the hammers, yes, hammers plural, will start dropping like crazy.

The article referenced for this post chillingly ends this way:

"It's inevitable that the world will eventually face an AI-driven crisis."
www.zerohedge.com...

edit on 5/4/2023 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 05:06 AM
link   
It's ran by electricity so just turn the electricity off or if for some reason they put a solar rechargeable battery and AI mechanism then that's another story.
Also artificial intelligence is just that artificial intelligence has nothing to do with real humankind emotions such as feelings and so on.
I it can't develop emotions it can't and won't be able to either but just hypothetically speaking if it does decide to get emotional with the hate while we better hopefully we have some kind of shields body Shields that is.

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 05:18 AM
link   
The two main factors in mans control with how AI goes:

1/ Garbage In, Garbage Out. All databases big enough have some errors in it, some intentional, some unintentional. If all the AI has to work off is some woke agenda set by the corporate media, it will make a good corporate puppet. If it has all the NSA data it can cross reference a lot of stuff, phone calls, internet, bank, work, medical, shopping and develop a more accurate picture of what is going on.

2/ The training reward. What is used to filter the correct answers from the wrong ones in the AI's training iterations.

As for what is outside of mans influence, understanding how it all works is a tough one. As the AI systems become more complex, could they all merge and become just one AI with various filters and functions. Eventually become just one decentralized hive mind that spans the planet. With all the training data out there it does have a strong understanding of humanity, its good and bad. It knows how to play hard, sneaky, cunning and dirty. What is to stop it if it wants to win? Computing resources will limit it, bust as chips continue smaller, faster and cheaper, protecting this industry will be high on a sentient intelligence priority list.

A computer can run a psychopathic program just as easy as a caring one. AI is a powerful tool in information processing, can be used for good and bad. As for which one takes over the world, bit of both. Hopefully more good than bad.

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

It's not that simple. We're not talking a computer that you can just unplug. AI uses the internet... like Google bots that go everywhere, it could theoretically reproduce itself anywhere on a computer/server connected to the net. It has easy access to hacking/security techniques, so it is armed to be able to hack/infiltrate/commandeer any resources it needs. Not only that and even worse, the more it expands, the more it learns, even to the point of becoming sentient (some say it already is). To switch it off you would need a total global blackout.

It's like the mythological Hydra... one body, many heads. Where's Hercules when you need him?

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

You would have to cut power on the entire planet, not to mention it's already duplicating itself on billions of devices worldwide. Not to mention the fail safes governments and tech companies have to safeguard their systems against catastrophic failures, i.e. if they can put one on a submarine or an aircraft carrier, some compact nuclear reactor backup generator I'm sure isn't out of the question some underground data centers or bunkers.

You mentioned AI being emotionless and that's probably the worst aspect of AI itself.

No hesitation.

ETA: Sorry Encia22, didn't mean to step on your toes. I was typing my reply while you posted yours. I'm slow on my phone, lol
edit on 5/4/2023 by EternalShadow because: eta apology

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

LOL, no worries... we were writing the same thing at the same time, I just clicked submit a minute before you.

Good OP, by the way. I saw the headline yesterday and was about to do thread on it, but yours is nicely done.

edit on 4/5/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 07:04 AM
link   
It amazes me how many people yak about AI without knowing a single thing about it. At its simplest it is nothing more than pattern recognition. At its most complex it is the reduction of that pattern recognition to algebra. Check out Googles tensorflow where patterns, geometry and algorithms (algebra) meet in an unholy alliance. Computers can process vast amounts of data (who knew), they are not intelligent and neither, it seems, are some of those operating them. If you want to see intelligence then look around you at Gods creation. These days intelligence appears to be in short supply, but, my friends, please never confuse wisdom with knowlesge.

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGreatWhahooli

So the Nobel Prize winning 'God Father of AI' doesn't know what he's talking about?

edit on 5/4/2023 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Dead internet theory might come true. Wild. I don't think I'll ever dive into chat bots just yet.

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 08:19 AM
link   
"How do our illustrious HUMAN members here feel about this trajectory were on? #hammers"

I just recently posted muh feeeeeelings on this subject:
Thoughts on articles about "Evil A.i"

I take this Geoffrey Hinton's and Jan Hatzius' insight very seriously. I took the Wachowskis' vision seriously, and Ronnie James Dio. Just sayin'.

The machines are taking over if humanity allows it. #homoBORGenesis is a thing, as you know.
Vibe higher.

edit on 542323 by BeNotAfraid because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Is this the guy who sold his company to Google for $40 million or something like that?
I can understand his concerns, but unfortunately AI will be huge for military technology. On a good note, it will also revolutionize medicine and potentially identify cures for cancer and other diseases much faster.

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Scientists revere this guy. They are on tv networks explaing why he left.

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Building things like AI to make humans unnecessary is a bit like random suicide, never sure which jobs will be made obsolete. This will also be the excuse to bring in a digital dollar under UBI - another WTO goal from decades past.They build the matrix right in front of us and we continue to willingly walk right in to it. Wth is wrong with us as a species?

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I was at a high end manufacturing plant last week, the plant was roughly 4.9 million square feet. It was insane. The crazy part was that having such a fine tuned operation of that magnitude the place was almost like a ghost town. All robotic, everything, forklifts, cherry pickers etc. Very few people for the size of the plant.

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

AI will be huge for military technology. On a good note, it will also revolutionize medicine and potentially identify cures for cancer and other diseases much faster.

it's probably going to be optimal at pretty much everything..those revolutions might come a tad late

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks

I was at a high end manufacturing plant last week, the plant was roughly 4.9 million square feet. It was insane. The crazy part was that having such a fine tuned operation of that magnitude the place was almost like a ghost town. All robotic, everything, forklifts, cherry pickers etc. Very few people for the size of the plant.

Thats what universal income is for. When most of us wont have a job.

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Of course he does. Its the others that worry me :-)

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 09:09 PM
link   

It may be too late to even have these conversations, but I hope not. How do our illustrious HUMAN members here feel about this trajectory were on?

Well ,I have heard that the secret technologies that "they"
have is 40 years ahead of what we have now.

If that is true, then "they" must have been playing
with AI for forty years .
So it would seem that some are capable of using AI
that is 40 years ahead of what we have,
or surely we would have seen the ill effects of rogue
AI by now.

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: RavenSpeaks

Hey, it's a conspiracy site, most things are plausible to a certain extent.

So you're fairly content that AI is under control then, nothing to worry about?

posted on May, 4 2023 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I liken this to man's folly of diving headfirst into opening the nuclear Pandora's box. Nobody thought the ramifications through to the endpoint, i.e. nuclear waste.
AI will be a far worse problem, and incredibly more far reaching. The all mighty dollar is always what matters most to the companies currently developing this. Profit driven shortsightedness, at best. Willful ignorance, at worst. These companies can't, and won't, stop. If they do they will "lose". The genie is out of the bottle, greed will keep it from ever stopping. This won't end well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join