It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Air Force shares new images of B-21 Raider nuclear stealth bomber

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The article is light on the details. But it does offer 2 relatively close up images.

The US Air Force recently released two new images of its long-range B-21 "Raider" nuclear stealth bomber.

Though we know very little about the highly-classified $692-million aircraft, the new images shed a little light on the impressive bomber's capabilities.

Here is a wide shot.

And a close up of the canopy.

The aircraft seems much smaller than I expected it to be. And I don't see any rivets on the body. It looks very impressive.

edit on 14-3-2023 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I haven't been able to find much online about the construction, but I think it's almost certain to have carbon fiber primary structure and outer mold line.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Ummm...it does have a tabbed in look around the windscreens/windows...raised...tabbed areas to foul the aerodynamics...

I would have sanded those flush with the rest of the skin...If you zoom in...you can see all kinds of imperfections in the finish...indentations and unequally applied surface coating...

This has got to be a mockup...with a hastily applied surface coating at that...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Or it’s, you know, a test article. A full aircraft that is designed for testing purposes only.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 01:11 PM
link   

And I don't see any rivets on the body.

Well what are we supposed to count then?

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   

There's the official unveiling at Northrop Grumman.

35 min video, unveiling at 31 mins.

www.northropgrumman.com...

Plus, a YT video with more info...

I think it looks like a clay mockup, but maybe it's just the new paint and lighting effects.

edit on 14/3/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

It’s not a mock-up, it’s an actual aircraft. It may be a ground test article, but it’s an actual aircraft.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for clarifying, Zaphod. I'm on the train and haven't had a chance to watch the whole video.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
And I don't see any rivets on the body.

There is such a thing as countersunk rivets. I've only shot a few hundred thousand of them.
The paint or coating covers them right up.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Or it’s, you know, a test article. A full aircraft that is designed for testing purposes only.

Ummm...could be...it just has an unprofessional...unfinished look when you zoom the images...

Like they rolled it out for the camaras to get that show of force...send a message flexing...before the lads had a chance to complete the finish...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
The article is light on the details. But it does offer 2 relatively close up images.

The US Air Force recently released two new images of its long-range B-21 "Raider" nuclear stealth bomber.

Though we know very little about the highly-classified $692-million aircraft, the new images shed a little light on the impressive bomber's capabilities.

Here is a wide shot.

And a close up of the canopy.

The aircraft seems much smaller than I expected it to be. And I don't see any rivets on the body. It looks very impressive.

Wouldn't it be cool if this was the first released project that was 3D printed.
2nd line.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 02:17 PM
link   

It's a combat aircraft, not a concours d'elegance show car. I'm quite sure it is aerodynamically sound and achieves the signature reduction it is intended to.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Ground test aircraft aren't finished, because there's no reason for them to have the full RAM coating and finishing. They're not going to fly, so they don't need to have all the bells and whistles. They aren't necessarily going to roll out a flying prototype first, because they have to finish ground tests first, so it makes more sense to roll that one out first.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ornithologist

It's a combat aircraft, not a concours d'elegance show car. I'm quite sure it is aerodynamically sound and achieves the signature reduction it is intended to.

Ummm...right...which is why riveted planes all went to flush mount rivets...thanks to Howard Hughs...

I'm sure they did it for the aesthetics...and not the aerodynamics...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 03:46 PM
link   

You’re also assuming the coating is applied. If it’s a ground, or static test airframe it won’t have a coating, while being a completed aircraft. If it’s a flight test aircraft it isn’t necessary to have its coating applied until some time before it actually flies. Once the coating is applied most of that will be covered.
edit on 3/14/2023 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

You’re also assuming the coating is applied. If it’s a ground, or static test airframe it won’t have a coating, while being a completed aircraft. If it’s a flight test aircraft it isn’t necessary to have its coating applied until some time before it actually flies. Once the coating is applied most of that will be covered.

Ummm...look...you already covered that in your previous post...

Was it really necessary to reiterate it...?

This isn't a points game...it's a discussion...where you might know that it's a never to be flown prototype...a layman might not...I merely commented on its unfinished appearance...which you clarified...

Twice...

My second point...not addressed to you...was about aerodynamics and why riveted fighter and other planes moved from exposed head rivets to the flush mount ones currently in use...Again...thanks to Howard Hughs...

Is there anything else you'd care to add...?

YouSir

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Oh, I’m sorry. I wasn’t aware I can only reply to things addressed to me.

Both of your posts are talking about parasite drag, so both of your posts get the same answer.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks. I was wondering why it was white.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 05:34 PM
link   

It'd be pretty easy to spot because its white. Do they plan on painting it black?

As long as everyone is too scared to use nukes, I'm happy.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Thrumbo

It really isn't at high enough altitudes. I've had slightly darker planes go overhead, in clear blue skies, and haven't seen a damn thing. Even much whiter planes than this going overhead have been hard to find. Black is actually a bad color, because under some conditions it's easier to spot. The grey that the AF currently uses is much better.
edit on 3/14/2023 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join