It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading ‘Lord Of The Rings’ And ‘1984’ Could Lead To Right-Wing Extremism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It should just read "READING could lead to right wing extremism" since it appears that reading any literature the left does not authorize makes you an extremist. I really don't think we have much time left for the insane truly silence the sane.

Reading ‘Lord Of The Rings’ And ‘1984’ Could Lead To Right-Wing Extremism, Gov’t Report Warns

dailycaller.com...

Author Douglas Murray published a scathing review of the British government’s counter-terrorism Prevent program, which has apparently reported that authors like George Orwell, J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis can radicalize readers.

In his column, Murray described how Britain’s Prevent program was founded to support counter-terrorism efforts, but has gradually swayed into a focus on only extremists from Islam and “far-right” ideological mindsets. He evidenced this claim by citing that Prevent was consulted by activist groups such as Hope not Hate, which he argues believes that people who voted for Brexit and are against illegal immigrants are far-right.

He further noted that Prevents’ “Research Information and Communications Unit” (RICU) has previously listed historical texts as red flags. Essentially, if someone is reading “1984,” or works by Lewis, Tolkien, Aldous Huxley, or Joseph Conrad, they should be suspected of being a far-right extremist terrorist.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I love both works... but the author could have just as well as said "reading..." could lead to yawn, stretch, and move on.

These kinds of 'alarms' are as telling about the alarmist as they are about any "maybe/could be/might lead to" cautions that people evoke out of fear and conformity.

As if readers are just naturally weak-willed and malleable to 'resetting their values' based upon whatever they come across.

This is the kind of thinking that leads to book burnings, and the proscription of human thought.

Nice find!

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 06:26 PM
link   

What a load of Balrogs.

It's not what is done to a mind, but the mind it is done to.

And it seems like individual thinkers are, and have always been, the target for bullying cowards who still wish to ban words on paper that are so powerful.

Thanks for posting, scrutinising further to find things to poke.

posted on Feb, 25 2023 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Britain’s Prevent program

There are questions to be asked about who the Prevent program gave money to , leaks from a long delayed report into "Prevent" criticize it for shifting its focus from the actual threat of Islamic terrorism to a perceived threat from the Right , it has also been reported that "Prevent" has given money to Islamist groups.

Edit.
It seems the long delayed report was released earlier this month , this is the Home Secretary's response.

Home Secretary, Suella Braverman, said:

I am grateful to William Shawcross and welcome his independent review.

Prevent will now ensure it focuses on the key threat of Islamist terrorism. As part of this more proportionate approach, we will also remain vigilant on emerging threats, including on the extreme right.

This independent review has identified areas where real reform is required. This includes a need for Prevent to better understand Islamist ideology, which underpins the predominant terrorist threat facing the UK.

I wholeheartedly accept all 34 recommendations and am committed to quickly delivering wholesale change to ensure we are taking every possible step to protect our country from the threat posed by terrorism.
www.gov.uk...

edit on 25-2-2023 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I've always found the idea of banning books or book burning ridiculous. Now granted from the OP that's not the case it's more or less just an opinion from some dumbass author who thinks he has clout. I'm so sick to death of these news stories about how everything is offensive. Back to reading, knowledge is power and the fact that people continually want to cancel or destroy # because that can't themselves learn or grow from it is very telling. It shouldn't matter if it's offensive, that is life in general, which is why the stories prevail. People relate because they see it in everyday life.

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I recall when it was fashionable for the left to decry the right as being Orwellian.

And I guess cancelling Tolkien makes sense since Rings of Power was not universally loved. It just proves that Tolkien is irredeemable, not that their butchering of it was crappy.

And everyone knows C.S. Lewis was Christian. Duh!
edit on 26-2-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Considering how many times I've read Tolkien--many, many, many, many times--I should be out firebombing anything that moves, and doesn't move...all while gloating about it in videos to CNN, Fox, and online.

Yet...I'm not.

Huh.

I've read Orwell many times, too... Yet, nothin'...

The premise seems to lack in validity.

posted on Feb, 26 2023 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Yeah, I've read The Turner Diaries, and I haven't loaded up a Ryder truck yet... Militancy is arbitrary to political view. There's enough SUV torching Eco-Warriors in Florence ADMAX to attest to that.

I think the books they are replacing the cancelled books with are more likely to inspire acts of domestic terrorism than the wicked Aldous Huxley and his eugenics.
edit on 26-2-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 04:40 AM
link   
this is what happens when the state becomes a radical extremist and its own people become its key enemy.. This is where political Catholicism, political puritanism, communism and Nazism ended up, Orwell wrote about it in his essays, notes on nationalism, the lion and unicorn etc.. no wonder they are keen to expunge him and his words as he talks about them.

but you can also see it with the talk of denying people with the wrong views any form of representation in society and claiming denying them rights as the greatest good in here we find the kernel of the next reformation as the global liberal establishment has lost its way as it did in the 20s and 30s..

cs leiws also wrote on medical tranny.. no wonder they want him expunged too...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”

C.S. Lewis, Essays on Theology

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 06:23 AM
link   
No mention of Antifa then, because firebombing, dragging people out of there cars and beating them and running around masked up in black and causing civil disorder have nothing to do with terror. Or maybe it's just about the terrorist we approve of.
George Orwell was a given, I get told all the time by the left he was right wing - he wasn't he was a classic liberal - LOTR, Tolkiens attempt to recreate a quasi Anglo-Saxon mythology lost to history obviously a call to blood and soil nationalism, CS Lewis was a Christian, none of these are on the approved progressive list. Prevent seems to have been captured by academic terrorists.

posted on Feb, 27 2023 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It's not so far fetched!

When I read LoR many years ago, by the time I was halfway through the last book I had shaved my head, had a swastika tattoo, and changed my name to Reinhardt!
My plans for the 4th Reich world domination were thwarted though when I discovered that a certain Mr. Klaus Schwab, from Davos in Switzerland, had already copyrighted it so I rather dejectedly gave up on the whole Neo Nazi thing.

top topics

join