It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New James Webb Image shows Spiral Galaxy in Stunning Detail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   

LEDA 2046648 is the larger of the two main Galaxies featured in this picture , it's located about a billion light-years from Earth which makes the clarity from Webb all the more impressive.
LEDA is joined by a smaller Galaxy below along with thousands of others Galaxies who are all there just to make LEDA look good .... a job done well I think.

No doubt there's a similar picture of the Milky Way somewhere in the Universe with Aliens wondering if there's any life there.

The large galaxy that sits at the bottom of the image, LEDA 2046648, is so clear in the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST or Webb) image that its individual spiral arms are visible. This level of detail is even more impressive considering that the galaxy in question, which is in the constellation of Hercules, is more than 1 billion light-years away from Earth and JWST.

This particular image also shows a host of other galaxies and stars, all marked by the six-pointed diffraction spikes that are a signature of JWST observations. The image was captured by JWST's Near-InfraRed Camera (NIRCam) while the telescope was observing the white dwarf WD1657+343, a well-studied object that JWST was observing in order to calibrate its Near-Infrared Imager and Slitless Spectrograph (NIRISS).
www.space.com...

edit on 2-2-2023 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Gortex, we can always count on you to bring something interesting and off the beaten path. Don't ever stop posting.
Cool image.

No doubt there's a similar picture of the Milky Way somewhere in the Universe with Aliens wondering if there's any life there.

No doubt.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Amazing detail for a billion light-years away.!

Maybe JWST can squeeze 12.8 billion more, then we can see the big bang! 💥

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Is it really as it seems to look?-The smaller galaxy looks like its directly underneath the bigger one.

Theres got to be some intellgent life in all those multi billion planets with some incredible night sky views of each others galaxy filling the sky.
Although maybe two galaxies that close would mess up the chances of life?

The JWST has a weird way of making the images look like a tiny model-Like in tilt shift photos sort of.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Wow, it's 1 Billion light-years from Earth.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Looking at the picture it's almost like looking at the Milky Way and our satellite galaxy The Large Magellanic Cloud.

edit on 2-2-2023 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Great thread Gortex.

I wonder how it has changed, as what we see is how it was a billion years ago. Many of those sun's and planets could be gone.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Awesome picture! I still can't wrap my head around how the supposed smartest people on this Earth think all of that was created by a ball of energy that exploded.

Anyways, I don't how many nerds on here are into games like I am, but I've been playing a game called Elite Dangerous and it contains a vast 1:1 scale simulation of the Milky Way galaxy based on real scientific principles, current scientific data and theories. It includes around 400 billion star systems, and is modeled on actual galactic charts. Planets and moons rotate and orbit with 1:1 scale in real-time, thus constantly changing a system's environment.

When the JWST found the Trappist-1 System a few years ago, the developers went into the game to rename and change it as it was seen so that you could get a real feel of actually being there.

Anyways, my point is that if you take that into effect, then think about it being just one galaxy and look back at the picture you posted with so many more galaxies, it really puts it into perspective just how massive the universe is (especially if you've been grinding several hours a day in a game that features a 1:1 ratio of the galaxy).

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
Is it really as it seems to look?-The smaller galaxy looks like its directly underneath the bigger one.

Theres got to be some intellgent life in all those multi billion planets with some incredible night sky views of each others galaxy filling the sky.
Although maybe two galaxies that close would mess up the chances of life?

The JWST has a weird way of making the images look like a tiny model-Like in tilt shift photos sort of.

Those two spiral galaxies don't look like they belong there, simply because all of the other ones look fuzzy while those two look finely detailed, but an incredible shot nonetheless.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

it really puts it into perspective just how massive the universe is (especially if you've been grinding several hours a day in a game that features a 1:1 ratio of the galaxy).

I've been on those journeys , listening to the Galactic news on the radio.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: LSU2018

it really puts it into perspective just how massive the universe is (especially if you've been grinding several hours a day in a game that features a 1:1 ratio of the galaxy).

I've been on those journeys , listening to the Galactic news on the radio.

Maybe there really are some Thargoids out there in the deep reaches...

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
Those two spiral galaxies don't look like they belong there, simply because all of the other ones look fuzzy while those two look finely detailed, but an incredible shot nonetheless.

The camera lens was probably set at f/5.6, so it didn't have much depth-of-field.

You have to be a photographer to know how funny that is.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

originally posted by: LSU2018

The camera lens was probably set at f/5.6, so it didn't have much depth-of-field.

You have to be a photographer to know how funny that is.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I wanted to be an astronomer when I was growing up, but went with regular photographer instead. So, thank you very much for posting all these great shots! Keep doing it!

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Space.com never link to the source, lol. I had to go to JWST Facebook page to fingd it: esawebb.org...

Here it is rotated to fit ATS post format better.

A very beautiful galaxy!

posted on Feb, 3 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Thanks for the add ,wildespace.

new topics

top topics

join