It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FYI Lots of Seeds are already selling out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I almost always buy very early, like in the fall but there were some things I needed to pick up for this year.

I looked online and I am shocked at the seed and plants being SOLD OUT already.

Seriously if you need anything DO NOT wait until spring.
Spring fever is already hitting people and in addition to that people are now growing to supplement their food due to the high prices everywhere.

Remember there are other ways to get some seeds too, buy organic produce and collect it.
Barter with friends, a lot of packages have way more than what a normal backyard gardener can use.
EBay has been a great source for me. I’ve had terrible luck with Etsy for some reason, same with Amazon.

Good luck we are all going to need it.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Thanks for the tip, dont have much room right now, but hope to move into a house this spring.

Ill go ahead and get some and have them ready.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Any supermarket spuds that start sprouting go straight into the garden and I have planted some store-bought ginger and planted that which is sprouting, same with the garlic If you can score old solar panels you can solder new diodes in because that is what usually gives out in scrapped ones. Old truck batteries come back as good as new with battery revival as long as there is no internal damage. You can boil them with an arc welder to clean the plates but that's more technical.If you want wood for free if you can be stuffed taking old pallets to bits that's a great source of free wood to bear in mind as well. Some are exotic hardwoods that make great furniture.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I almost always buy very early, like in the fall but there were some things I needed to pick up for this year.

I looked online and I am shocked at the seed and plants being SOLD OUT already.

Seriously if you need anything DO NOT wait until spring.
Spring fever is already hitting people and in addition to that people are now growing to supplement their food due to the high prices everywhere.

Remember there are other ways to get some seeds too, buy organic produce and collect it.
Barter with friends, a lot of packages have way more than what a normal backyard gardener can use.
EBay has been a great source for me. I’ve had terrible luck with Etsy for some reason, same with Amazon.

Good luck we are all going to need it.

I made a post on this about a month ago. Last year, I couldn't get any of the seeds I wanted so I tried to warn everyone in my recent post to get their seeds very early. Thanks for the thread.

I have already purchased all the seeds I will be using this year. Got some through Rare seeds, Etsy and Amazon. It's no longer 'one and done' when shopping for seeds. You have to go to a variety of sources. But when I browse through fun stuff every once in while now, I see lots of 'out of stock' items. Of course, this is the heirloom quality which are 99% of what I use.
edit on 4031202300000031bMon, 16 Jan 2023 04:01:40 -06002023000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 07:14 AM
link   
And here I am once again a day late and a dollar short.

We just moved into this place last summer, we have plans to put in some garden space in the spring.

I'm a wee bit old to be on the ground so I was hoping to go with raised beds... But hot damn is that spendy! Might as well be building a greenhouse at these prices... Which would really help out the growing season this far north

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Harvested all my own from my plants last year, as this is something we have been talking about for the last couple of years.

Actually, had a tomato plant show up in the middle of my front yard last year, so I definitely wanted seeds from that hardy bugger.

It is only going to get worse, with plants that won't produce viable seeds, so start harvesting your own.

I have more pepper seeds, in several varieties, than I know what to do with, but maybe I can help someone out this year, or swap for something else.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Question. 200 years ago where did farmers get their seeds from? Learn that lesson. Don't rely on others for your next crop.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Question. 200 years ago where did farmers get their seeds from? Learn that lesson. Don't rely on others for your next crop.

Ummm...that's why heirloom seed choices are the best...let some of your plants..."go to seed"...and then harvest the seeds for the next season...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

We do our garden in buckets .. got a bunch from local marketplace posts on FB from people planting trees for a company.. but I’m sure Home Depot etc have ones that you can buy to get started and add to yearly — we started doing it when we realized we were getting too old to till the garden and get on the ground to do things about 5 yrs ago ..it has worked out great! Plus we only water the containers so it saves on water also ..

We expanded the garden last year and I would like to again but I doubt that will happen because we have had some health concerns that have slowed us up some recently .. but I want to try potatoes this year to see how it goes and if I want to do more next yr.. I can squeeze in a couple more buckets for that i think

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Cool topic got to ask though as stock prices on "seed" trend upward. Is it possible the seed shortage itself is being manipulated instead of happening organically PTP?
www.imarcgroup.com...

Best Seed Companies and Brands :
Bayer Crop Science AG
Establishment: 1863
Headquarter: Leverkusen, Germany

Bayer Crop Science AG is a multinational chemical, pharmaceutical, and life sciences company. From 1925 to 1952, the company was a part of IG Farben, the world's largest chemical and pharmaceutical company. Bayer's primary areas of business include human and veterinary pharmaceuticals; consumer healthcare products; agricultural chemicals and biotechnology products; and high-value polymers.

Corteva Agriscience
Establishment: 2019
Headquarter: Indiana, United States

Corteva Agriscience was an agriculture division of DowDuPont, which was established by combining DuPont Crop Protection, DuPont Pioneer, and Dow AgroScience. It became a publicly-traded company in June 2019. The company supplies a diverse range of field crop hybrids and varieties alongside crop protection products. It also offers integrated and greatly expanded solutions that combine genetics, chemistry and precision agriculture. Moreover, it helps farmers maximize the value of their investment through high-performing genetics and effective science-based solutions that optimize yield and crop quality.

Syngenta AG
Establishment: 2000
Headquarter: Basel, Switzerland

Syngenta was formed in December 1999 with the spin-off and merger of the agrochemical and seed division of Novartis, and the agrochemicals and biotechnology research divisions of AstraZeneca. The company is engaged in the discovery, development, production, and marketing of a range of products designed to improve crop yields and food quality. It also develops seeds and plants using advanced genetics and related technologies. Syngenta’s seed portfolio includes more than 200 product lines and 6,800 varieties of proprietary genetics. Moreover, the company operates across the globe through its three segments consisting of the integrated crop protection, seeds business, and lawn and garden business.

BASF SE
Establishment: 1865
Headquarter: Mannheim, Germany

BASF SE strengthens its research and development (R&D) activities for sustainable agricultural innovations, providing solutions for sustainable healthy eating. Under the Nunhems Brand, BASF offers more than vegetable seeds. It offers partnerships and customer-oriented solutions for the entire vegetable value chain, including growers, processors, plant raisers, dealers, traders, retailers, and food service industry-tailored to consumer needs and trends. Furthermore, the company’s portfolio ranges from chemicals and materials to industrial solutions, surface technologies, nutrition and care, and agricultural solutions.

Limagrain
Establishment: 1965
Headquarter: Saint-Beauzire, France

Limagrain is an agricultural cooperative owned by French farmers. The company ensures the progress for farmers both in the region of origin in France and worldwide. Limagrain contributed to the vitality and sustainable performance of the farms in the region, which aims to make it an area of agricultural excellence. Focusing on its seeds and plant improvement expertise, the company meets the challenges through genetic progress, while ensuring that farmers remain independent and have freedom of choice regarding other production factors.

KWS SAAT SE & Co. KGaA
Establishment: 1856
Headquarter: Wanzleben-Borde, Germany

KWS SAAT SE & Co. KGaA is a European independent and family-owned company that focuses on high-yield seeds. The company uses leading-edge plant breeding methods to continuously improve yield for farmers and plants’ resistance to diseases, pests, and abiotic stress. It also aims to offer all farmers targeted varieties and solutions to fit their operation needs, tailored to climatic conditions and specific geological conditions of their respective regions. Moreover, it also emphasizes high-performance seeds for corn, sugarbeet, cereals, oil, protein plants, and vegetables that enable balanced crop rotation.

Sakata Seed Corporation
Establishment: 1913
Headquarter: Kanagawa, Japan

Sakata is a world leader in breeding and producing vegetable and ornamental seed and vegetative cuttings. Sakata breeders around the world work diligently to develop varieties that offer superior performance and set new standards for the industry. It strives to be an innovative creator and supplier, living up to the company’s motto Quality, Reliability, Service. Sakata continues to expand its business globally and Sakata-branded seeds have achieved great success in more than 130 countries.

AgReliant Genetics, LLC
Establishment: 2000
Headquarter: Indiana, United States

AgReliant Genetics is rooted in the tradition of its two parent seed companies, namely Groupe Limagrain of Saint-Beauzire, France and KWS of Einbeck, Germany. Currently, it is the third-largest seed corn company in the United States, in the top four agriculture research programs in North America, and one of the fastest-growing independent seed companies in the market. It combines research and production efforts to bring some of the market’s most competitive corn, soybean, sorghum and alfalfa products to farmers throughout the United States and Canada.

DLF Seeds A/S
Establishment: 1988
Headquarter: Roskilde, Denmark

DLF is a global seed company dealing in forage, amenity seeds and other crops. The company supports environmental sustainability by developing sustainable products and operating in an environmentally sustainable way. Moreover, it operates within forage and turf seed, sugar and fodder beet seed, seed potatoes and multiplication of vegetable seed.

Yuan Longping High-tech Agriculture Corporation Limited
Establishment: 1999
Headquarter: Hunan, China

Yuan Longping Agricultural Hi-Tech Co., Ltd. is a modern seed industry high-tech group established by Academician Yuan Longping as the main sponsor. The company is engaged in crop breeding, multiplication, and sales businesses. The company’s main business covers the two major systems of seed industry operation and agricultural services, among which the rice, millet, and sunflower seed business lead the world, and the corn, cucumber, and pepper seed business lead China. Besides this, the company has built a domestic leading commercial breeding system and an international advanced biotechnology platform.

About IMARC Group: IMARC Group is a leading market research and consulting company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. The company has done multiple projects in the global seeds industry, and regional North America, Indian seed, which has enabled clients to set up and expand their businesses successfully. Some of the company’s offerings include:

Market Research
Plant setup
Plant Expansion
Marketing and sales
Procurement and Distribution
Innovation and Product Development

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:24 AM
link   

You don’t know anything about farming then,
Farmers have ALWAYS shared their seeds because it helps their crops…

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Cool topic got to ask though as stock prices on "seed" trend upward. Is it possible the seed shortage itself is being manipulated instead of happening organically PTP?

Yes but demand is higher too

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: putnam6

Yes but demand is higher too

YEP supposedly it's off the charts, my sister does a little growing IIRC she initially got all of her seeds from local farms. I'll have to ask if she uses their own heirloom seeds now.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Give me a break. That is not what the OP was about. Yes earlier farmers AND their farming friends kept their own seeds and did swop them with other farmers. But you're on about buying seeds from suppliers/ Monsanto and my post stands. keep your own seeds because you know for certain the provenance, buy seeds from suppliers you lose that "where have they come from, have they been altered scenario".

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Give me a break. That is not what the OP was about. Yes earlier farmers AND their farming friends kept their own seeds and did swop them with other farmers. But you're on about buying seeds from suppliers/ Monsanto and my post stands. keep your own seeds because you know for certain the provenance, buy seeds from suppliers you lose that "where have they come from, have they been altered scenario".

How do you know who I buy from?

I have been growing organic and non-gmo for over 40 years.

Do you not know there are seed sellers online that offer NON gmo, heirlooms?

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Again! How do I know who I buy from, eerr, let me think. It's in your op. First look online then but from Amazon, Etsy and Ebay.
Yeah I used to believe the BS of suppliers, the net is chock full of liars and charlatans.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Again! How do I know who I buy from, eerr, let me think. It's in your op. First look online then but from Amazon, Etsy and Ebay.
Yeah I used to believe the BS of suppliers, the net is chock full of liars and charlatans.

This is what I’ve said

I’ve had terrible luck with Etsy for some reason, same with Amazon.

Maybe I should elaborate, I wouldn’t buy my seeds from Etsy or Amazon. I do buy a lot of seeds online because what I’m looking for isn’t often available locally.

Yes I’ve had great luck from EBAY which is often backyard gardeners and small hobby farms. I even found some heirlooms that were passed down from an Iowa farm for 150 years. It was a strain of marigolds that I’ve never seen before and grew so tall and were very very fragrant (not a good smell but keeps bugs off of other plants) A lot of the newer hybridized ones aren’t as fragrant like the old strains.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I get all my seeds at the local feed store. I have enough from last year to make it this year. What i buy this spring will be for next year. I do try to grow only heirloom for most everything and i do save the biggest and the best plants to collect seeds for the next year. I always manage to have enough on hand for several years. So far i have never seen any shortages at the feed store.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

idk about pallets as some are sprayed down with pesticides

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Where are you buying seeds from? PM me if you want, but I live here in the PNW and except for a couple of varieties, haven' that any issues getting what I want.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join