It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2023

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Thanks for sharing...I love learning and an expert is always a great asset!

It's actually really WRONG for there NOT to be a 6.0 every few years.

This statement though...really wrong according to who? Experts? Why a 6.0 magnitude...why not a 8.4 (or some other big number on the Richter scale)...a huge "whollop" of a shaker instead of a bunch of 6.0 magnitudes?

But your pretty on point for a 117 year old immortal vampire clown.

Also...thank you! I'm actually only a 47 year old immortal vampire clown...but I think it's funny it took someone that long to catch that in my post!

edit on 2-1-2023 by jerryznv because: random

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jerryznv

Wrong as in falling below average. I think like 40 every 100 years. So it be a statistical anomaly if there were to be a quiet 10 years.

And do you really want to know why a 9.0 can occur at one edge of the plate and another portion maxes out in the 7.7 range.

There's a lot jargon like "transverse allignment" and "strike-slip" and I really dont want to do that much work right now explaining the technical aspects of the limitations of different types of faults. I will say the motions of the mendonico fracture zone is analogous to motion of the San Andreas fault as it runs through Lancaster/Palmdale area. Which is why it is often erroneously called "The Mendoncino Transform Fault". It's not a subduction zone is the shortest answer.

Only the black line is capable of megathrust major Tsunami producing earthquakes.

edit on 2-1-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I am familiar with the jargon used...although I rarely have a conversation that contains that jargon (maybe occasionally here on ATS though)!

My curiosity has always been with further inland implications...suppose that the converging faults on our coast triggered a massive series of shakers...how would that effect areas like Yellowstone for instance?

We certainly know that all the plates are in constant motion...so it would make sense that a massive strike thrust fault slip would relatively impact the other plates a bit! Don't you think? What about a major shift like the one that divided the continents in the first place...the Richter scale doesn't have numbers for a scenario like that?

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Quicker answer.

The Yellowstone Caldera is not affected by the motions on the other side of the basin and range.

There are caveats of millions of years down the road. But even a Cascadia Subduction quake stress isn't tranverseing several mountain ranges and 1000 of miles.

The stresses aren't sent eastward necessarily.

Like in 2010 the 7.2 in Mexico sent it's stress northward into California towards the San Andreas Fault from Laguna Salada Fault. Yet the stress jumped to The San Jacinto fault triggering several after shocks up to 250 miles Northwest in the Anza-borrego desert, in North San Diego County. But it followed the direction of the faults.

Like when LA gets the "Big one" it's essentially going to rip West northwest along the the fault itself rupturing from Palm Springs all along the San Bernardino mountains for hundred of miles. Stress will follow that motion into The LA basin specifically.

The chain reaction you speak of has a lot of geological less active spots and parallel fault systems to jump to get to Yellowstone.

I'll tell you the volcano that NEEDS to worry, and cities that need to worry about triggered events are Seattle-Tacoma. A Cascadia Subduction quake CAN trigger Mt. Ranier. And Mt. Ranier itself would not continue an Eastward "cascade" of catastrophic events.

Is that in poor taste?

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Awesome awesome explanation!!!

Thank you!!!

I'll tell you the volcano that NEEDS to worry, and cities that need to worry about triggered volcanism are Seattle-Tacoma. A Cascadia Subduction quake CAN trigger Mt. Ranier.

My backyard...if it does go off...I'm doomed (I'm really not immortal)!

I've read the predictions on the amount of earth that will be displaced in the event it does erupt...and most of us in this area will be buried by ash...that's a scary thought!

The occasional rumbles up here in Oregon (on the coast) are getting a bit more frequent...we had a pretty good one a few weeks ago that woke up everyone at 4 in the morning! You may be right though...we are due for a nice scary rumble sooner than later I imagine!

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I am actually of the opinion both will sadistically happen within a few years of each-other.

Theoretically, the Southern San Andreas can throw it's stress northwest and trigger Parkfield, triggering San Francisco, followed by Cascadia, and finally a Ranier epution. Probably not, but there is a small geological possibility it could. The perfect storm of protracted West coast destruction. The least plausible is the jump from San Francisco to Cascadia.

But here is a visual of Southern California's awaited doom. It will come at the LA Basin like a fist. It's PREMADE for a religious punishment narrative.

Animation lags, but you get the idea.

With a 100 mile plus rupture and ground deformation (red line) the stress can carry up to three times the length of the rupture itself. Up to 300 miles up the fault to its northern segments.

posted on Jan, 2 2023 @ 02:09 PM
link   

That is a very scary thing to think about...even scarier to know that it could (and likely will) happen! Maybe not in our lifetime...but it will happen something like that someday!

The thought of the earth rolling in gigantic waves like that is baffling...the destruction would be total!

The tsunamis that followed would wipe out millions of people...an event like that would be a global catastrophe!

The video is a great depiction...I am still thinking about the land rising and falling in waves like that! Almost unimaginable!

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: jerryznv
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Oh...good idea!

We have a lot of shakers off the coast of Oregon and I'll be sure to share them!

Also...I'd like to add this link for those wanting to watch:

USGS

very good

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I'd watch volcano quakes! Mauna Loa, Kilauea, even Mauna Kea (4,000 and it is extinct? Yellowstone is overdue at 70,000 years and 670,000 years ago). Mt Rainier & Helens share a connector, and Baker rumbles from time to time.

For reference, Mauna Loa is the worlds largest, and went it stopped about a month ago, Kilauea stopped a day later. Strange, eh?
edit on 3-1-2023 by yaquii because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 04:47 PM
link   

apparently, there were loads of quakes in the UK last year all under 2 magnitude
and at small depths none were greater than 20KM
I think they are induced by human activity they are tunneling and blasting building super bunkers or something.

but they are probably just normal and happen all the time

anyone know if really small earthquakes are a regular occurrence in the UK
just too small to feel them

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It is the calm before the storm.
I think the plates have locked up.
Next will be the big one.

posted on Jan, 8 2023 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Jan 8 (Reuters) - A 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck 40 km (25 miles) west of Vanuatu's town of Port-Olry, United States Geological Survey said on Sunday.
The earthquake was at a depth of 10 km, USGS said.
"Tsunami waves reaching 0.3 to 1 meters above the tide level are possible for some coasts of Vanuatu," said the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

www.reuters.com...

Note there was also a Full Moon on January 6th

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Strong 7.6-magnitude quake hits off the coast of Indonesia

A strong 7.6-magnitude earthquake hits deep under the ocean off Indonesia and East Timor early Tuesday, the US Geological Survey reports.
The epicenter of the quake is located 427 kilometers (265 miles) south of the Indonesian island of Ambon at a depth of 95 kilometers, USGS says

www.timesofisrael.com...
nineplanets.org...

Moon Phase for Tuesday Jan 10th, 2023

The current moon phase for today is the Waning Gibbous phase.
On this day, the moon is 17.76 days old and 91.63% illuminated with a tilt of -2.015°. The approximate distance from Earth to the moon is 405,367.85 km and the moon sign is Leo

edit on 9-1-2023 by ColoradoTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Texas is now experiencing earthquakes. Probably from fraking out in the oilfields.

posted on Jan, 16 2023 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Jan 16, 5.2M, 8:43 AM (-9 GMT)
Meadow Lakes, Alaska

We felt the P wave shock pretty clearly here in Anchorage!

Who needs coffee with a friend like that?!

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wiseone247
It is the calm before the storm.
I think the plates have locked up.
Next will be the big one.

Been hearing that since I joined ATS, In geological time it still may be true.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 11:42 AM
link   
We got another one in Indonesia, also there's a massive sunspot today and solar flare hitting the Earth.

JAKARTA, Jan 18 (Reuters) - A magnitude 7 earthquake struck off Indonesia's Sulawesi island on Wednesday, prompting panicked residents in some towns nearest to the epicentre to flee buildings and with the tremor felt in the neighbouring Philippines

www.reuters.com...

Giant Unstable Sunspot 4 Times the Size of Earth Now Visible With Naked Eye

The sunspot, AR3190, is around four Earths in diameter, according to an infographic on SpaceWeather.com made by Bum-Suk Yeom from Iksan, South Korea, and is twice as large as any of the other sunspots currently facing in our direction

www.newsweek.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I had a dream that there was a giant earthquake. The giant event center Mount Hood center crumbled to the ground Mount Hood started to growl and the West Coast was pulverized basically. No power people writing out on horses trying to avoid power lines being down absolute Armageddon. And I'm pretty sure from the way the energy's been going in our country and no one doing it dang thing against the evil. So Master when shall these days be? When the whole world is as Sodom and Gomorrah. It is better to be tied to an acre Stone and thrown into the sea that harm one hair on these little one's heads. And now with the pedos being the government all our movie stars all the people getting all the money the elite and we sit here and look at it and don't do anything? God's going to do something maybe at that point America will get on their knees and repent but I doubt it which means I'm predicting the United States of America dies without drastic intervention right away. Either q is real and does something yesterday. It'll be better to throw Obama in a volcano then to allow this sickness to continue on this beautiful planet Earth

posted on Feb, 6 2023 @ 08:33 PM
link   
When every bird in the area is either non-stop airborne and/or crowded at the very top of every tree (totally packed) - you have seconds to get into open ground where falling debris won't kill you or by crushed inside a structure.
edit on 6-2-2023 by tkwasny because: Typo correction

posted on Feb, 15 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   
7.1 hits New Zealand, and look at the location, yikes!!!

www.express.co.uk...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join