It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latam A320neo accident

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Latam flight 2213, from Lima to Juliana was in the process of taking off when a vehicle crossed the runway. The aircraft collided with the vehicle, and caught fire, stopping on the runway. There was a fire on the right side, and photos show the right engine separated from the wing, and there was possible landing gear damage on that side as well. No casualties have been reported at this point.

twitter.com...

More information as it comes out.

ETA: Reports are that the vehicle was a fire truck. It crossed the runway with two other trucks. Initial reports are that four firefighters were killed.
edit on 11/18/2022 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

How is it possible the driver of the vehicle did not see the plane before turning onto the runway? It looks like it may have come from a different angle and is not 90° to the truck pulling onto the runway. The plane is approaching very fast though.

My thoughts are with the families of these firefighters.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Just saw this. www.instagram.com...

If the plane just hit the ARFF truck was in the process of taking off... Then what were fire personnel responding to just prior?
edit on 18-11-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Wow that's horrific.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 05:14 PM
link   
It’s been confirmed that two firefighters died in the accident.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

That's the $64,000 question. If they were responding to an airfield incident, the Latam flight never should have been cleared, and airfield operations should have temporarily stopped. If they weren't, responding, they were going way too fast for driving on the airfield, and never should have been cleared onto the runway in the first place.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

No one seems to know. No one has said anything about an incident prior to this happening.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Such "luck during unluck", that no one on the plane got hurt, that's quiet a fireball it drags behind.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

Another few seconds and they would have rotated, and it would have been a lot worse.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The ARFF units were in a time response drill, and the truck crossed onto the runway without clearance. The airport will remain closed until tomorrow afternoon.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The ARFF units were in a time response drill, and the truck crossed onto the runway without clearance. The airport will remain closed until tomorrow afternoon.

Thought it felt weird they were responding to to something prior to the incursion. I'd say staged, but that's not the best words for it. But a drill I can see.

R.I.P.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yikes. That could have been a lot worse if they were in rotation or thereabouts. Found another angle of it, looks like perhaps from the firehouse.

twitter.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I want to hear the ATC. Was "Caution traffic crossing runway downfield" missed.

I listen to San Diego Intl sometimes, and every vehicle crossing the runway is known to the tower controller. It seems like this may be more on the tower or ground controllers. A communication breakdown somewhere.

VASAviation only has the aftermath so far.

edit on 18-11-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 12:11 AM
link   
trome.pe... eropuerto-jorge-chavez-aeropuerto-jch-callao-rmmn-noticia/

A LATAM airlines plane that was covering the Lima-Juliaca route was collided by a fire truck that entered the runway when it was taking off. The accident occurred this afternoon at the Jorge Chávez International Airport, Callao.

Thus, the aeronautical company indicated in a statement that the reasons for the entry of the vehicle to the takeoff runway are unknown.

Similarly, they mourned the death of two aeronautical firefighters who were in the vehicle that collided with the plane.

It should be noted that in several videos that circulate in the media and social networks, it can be seen how two vehicles of the aeronautical firefighters go at a high speed until the first one collides with the plane causing the accident.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Just a general idea.

This was 300K plus integrated technology comes in at $360k+.

The glass is PPG and you can hit it with a pike pole for 60 mins before you gain entry.

The cab is well protected. But mass times velocity will not go well every time.

I talked to Tommy at Pittsburgh International Airport and Demari who is Chief at Cleveland international Airport.

This will be looked at and heavily scrutinized.

Who called for the drill?
Why was the Tower not in communication with them?
Why was the runway not cleared?

So many questions.

I know people will think, do vehicles have GPS and show up on radar, ads-b and so on.
The answer is yes and no.

So many questions as to why such a cavalier drill.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Picture from Tim Holmes former Chief at Pittsburgh International Airport.

Via my brother Lt. E. Kelemen.

Good God.

Edit: this should have been the RIV with the officer in the front passenger seat calling the shots.

FWI, Pittsburgh stopped doing time trails long ago. The FAA would do an onsite inspection. Usually the FAA will wave the time trails.
edit on 19-11-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-11-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   
According to a statement released, the exercise was coordinated the day before, with a start time between 1500 and 1600 local. The day of, the tower was notified that the start time would be 1510, and again coordination was verified.

posted on Nov, 21 2022 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Maybe shift change and the note wasnt passed forward?

posted on Nov, 21 2022 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Most likely.

posted on Nov, 24 2022 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The crew was taken into custody after the accident. That sets a very bad precedent.

simpleflying.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join