It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Weeks Notice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 06:31 PM
link   
So, while it may be strange for a few of you, not so much for others, I need advise.
I am, ehem, older.
I have only put in my 2 weeks notice, 1 time, in 35 years.

I have been struggling. I had 1 job for 23 years, and then for the last 3 years, another
But this year, I've had 3 (includes the 3 year job.
But I have an opportunity to have another.
One that I believe, will make me happy.
The other 2, were about money.
The new one, while being a little bit more than I will be making now, will not be micromanaged, will be doing what I actually know, (the one I have now is not) and had a very relaxed, comfy atmosphere. Oh, and health insurance, right away, that is 93% paid.
I literally interviewed over a beer, and this person never called my references, (I did give them a resume), only asked people around his home town, who knew me.
I get to wearing whatever the heck I want, not having to "business casual" as I do now, so jeans, sweatshirt, whatever.

So, I'm 99% sure I'm taking the job.

My dilemma is, what do I say?
I've only been there 2 1/2 months. I feel horrible. They took a chance on me, and it is greatly appreciated. But I have to do this soon, like days.

I was going to go with, something like " I wasn't looking, but this fell into my lap, and I'm sorry but I have to put my 2 weeks in."
Is that ok?
God I dread going to work tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

First of all, Congratulations. A job that pays well and makes you happy is what most hope for.

" I wasn't looking, but this fell into my lap, and I'm sorry but I have to put my 2 weeks in."

That's just fine. Be nice, thank them for the opportunity, but don't let guilt get in the way. You've done nothing wrong by getting a better job, so don't stress about it.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

LOL
As I know your age, I think you understand about how we were raised.

You work hard, and hopefully, you stay with the same company, and can retire.
I really hoped that could have been the case, but it didn't happen when they sold.

So "job hopping" is making me crazy.

Thank you for the advise.
Hope all is going well down south!
edit on 19-9-2022 by chiefsmom because: Clarify

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I think that just a note saying you've decided to accept a job offer and this is your two weeks' notice is really sufficient and professional. I hear it's becoming all too common for people to simply stop showing up for work without even giving any notice. If that's the case within your field, then your employer should appreciate just being given two weeks' notice. 

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Places dont seem to give 2 fluffs when canning someone or closing their doors.

You do you.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan
That is really what I am hoping for. I have heard the same thing, about the younger generation, as much as I hate to lump them all together.
Just being raised in a different generation, I hate to disappoint.
I am going to have to tell my boss, face to face, as a note just won't do.
But I will

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

No, but this place will give you more chances and opportunities than most, including letting you work from home.

I bet, you being from MI, would know it if I told you the name.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

No, but this place will give you more chances and opportunities than most, including letting you work from home.

I bet, you being from MI, would know it if I told you the name.

Working from home saves them overhead.

However i will take your word for it that they may be a good employer, they exist as I also work for one.

Even still, if i told them i had a better, more economical offer, they would give well wishes and no hard feelings.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I think your plan of saying this fell into your lap is a good one. Just be contrite, say you're sorry, and go for the new job.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
Thank you Schuyler.
We don't always agree, but I sure respect your opinion on everything.
I wouldn't say it, if it didn't happen that way.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I am really hoping that is the case.

I just know that my personal manager, is a micromanager, that expects all the other locations to tell them all the gossip, so I hope that they can separate that.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Yay for you. Sounds like you are leaving for all the right reasons.
You can keep it simple and just tell them it’s not working out, or give them the whole convo you gave us.
They might not be happy but that doesn’t matter.

Companies drop employees like hot potatoes, so don’t feel one iota of guilt.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Chiefsmom you have a PM

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
That is my whole problem, the guilt.

Being raised in that different, older generation. Not wanting to burn the bridges.
But thank you.
Tomorrow will be rough, but it is only one day, right?

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
That is my whole problem, the guilt.

Being raised in that different, older generation. Not wanting to burn the bridges.
But thank you.
Tomorrow will be rough, but it is only one day, right?

Just think of it this way, what if you turned down this amazing opportunity and stayed with your current company. Now imagine the economy gets bad and they have to layoff and you are laid off but now the other job filled the position.
How mad at yourself would you be? You have to do what is better for you all around. Sometimes that just isn’t about pay.
I left a job because I wasn’t able to achieve work life balance and it was giving me a lot of stress. I never regretted it, and yes I did get a guilt trip, but oh well!

Good luck!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Congratulations!

Rip that Band-Aid off as quickly as you can. Give a glowing, incredibly thankful letter of resignation.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 07:54 PM
link   

See, you, are the whole reason I posted on this site, as apposed to others.
Just having others as an outside opinion.

Like Schuyler, we don't always agree, but I highly respect your opinion

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Good for you!
And don't worry about a thing. Though you feel badly about leaving, rare is the job that would feel badly when they let someone go. And who could blame you for grabbing a good opportunity?
And look at it this way - your leaving may leave an opening for someone else in the company to move up, and give them an opportunity.
Good Luck!

edit on 19-9-2022 by RonnieJersey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Never take a job for the money. I left cheffing where I made great money to be involved in Fire EMS and lost alot financially. Love it.

6 months ago, I got a job in corrections, mostly cause we found out we were prego, and it paid really well. I hated it. I recently had my last day and it felt like I made bail and was released. Got back into med.

Someone told me when I asked for advice, cause I hate leaving jobs (feels like giving up or letting coworkers down), the progression you make or benefits you make in a job that you don't want to stay in, aren't for you, they're for your bosses or the job itself. You gotta always default back to what's best for you, or your family, and it's not the money. The difference in the pay is usually balanced by what happens for your mind and soul.

Hope that helps even a little. Good luck sister.

Eta: changed to sister rather than brother, cause I have a short attention span
edit on 19-9-2022 by Iconic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Iconic

Thank you, and sister works for me.
Thank you to all of you, that understand what it is like, going to a new job, being older.

While good money would be nice, being happy is what is important to me.

Also, doing what is right.
While I have to disappoint, I dont want to make them hate me.

<<   2 >>

join