It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity Is A Modern Plague - Tips To Lose Weight

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The CDC reports

The obesity prevalence was 39.8% among adults aged 20 to 39 years, 44.3% among adults aged 40 to 59 years, and 41.5% among adults aged 60 and older........Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer. These are among the leading causes of preventable, premature death.

A body mass index (BMI) over 25 is considered overweight, and over 30 is obese.
Here is the link to fill out to see if you are in the obese category.
BMI Test

Some tips I myself need to start following to lose weight.

12 tips

1) Drastically reduce your carb intake.
2) Reduce your sugar consumption.
3) Increase water consumption, eliminate all surgery type drinks like juice, pop, slushy type drinks.
4) Stop all eating after 6pm, forces about a 12 hour fast and if you can make until noon intermittent fasting works.
5) Eliminate processed foods switch over to fruits, veggies and nuts.
6) At least some type of activity everyday, even if it's only walking.
7) Natural spices to consume to help, Cinnamon and Capsicum(hot spice)
8)Drinks that help, apple cider vinegar(mixed) and Green Tea, Lemon water and honey.
9)Reduce calorie intake.
10)Take a good quality multivitamin, just in case your high reduction of food intake leaves you short of key vitamins and minerals.
11)Reduce intake of some types of meats, increase consumption of fish like Salmon/Tuna
12)If you need energy, use a natural source of sugar, high quality honey is the best.

Any other tips or comments can be added for what has worked for you, or you have seen work for others.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33
While I agree with the premise of obesity and such, I will say that bmi is completely and utterly outdated and mostly wrong. I'm pretty well perfect proportion where I am, but bmi states I'm almost obese.

It's almost laughable at this point

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Iconic

I was going to say in the OP for sure the overweight part is out on the 25-29.9 rating.
I was 175 lbs and 5' 10" when I graduated from high school and it's telling me I was slightly overweight.
There was no way, I was skinny back then, today is a different story, that was a few years ago now, like most people my metabolism slowed down.

A boxer can be tagged as overweight as they have heavier muscle weight inputting into the BMI calculation, when they have very little fat if any.
edit on 15-9-2022 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I disagree. If you compare Americans to international standards it's even worse. Honestly if you are eating processed foods daily you are probably obese.

No offense...

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Ok, I know that you have heard this probably before. But I will tell you again, if you eat very slowly over a longer period of time, you will fill up at around the 20 - minute mark. Do something while you eat. Like studying. That is what I do. Take a bite, and put the fork down. Do something else. Try it, you will be amazed.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Lack of proper exercise, piss poor diets, and the fact that comparatively speaking we live somewhat of a sedimentary lifestyle to past generations is the reason for the increased obesity.

Change those factors and the rest tends to follow suit.
edit on 15-9-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I just tested positive for Covid, and haven't eaten any food since Monday.

That's another way to lose weight, get really sick.. Can't return to work till the 20th. I used to not be overweight, but my current job is just too easy, not a lot of exercise.

I'm going to do those tips mentioned and see if I can lose some weight.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Yeah, BMI is ridiculous.

When I was still in the military I weighed about 145 and being short my BMI would be around 25-27
While I was running marathons, 19 minute 3 miles, hundreds of burpees and a resting heart rate of 36.

It's definitely a flawed metric.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Walk immediately after eating, even if just for a few minutes. This reduces insulin resistance.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I agree with everything you say. When people ask me how i stay in shape, i tell them alot of the things you stated. The basic premise of losing weight is simple. No magic or crazy diets. Cut out carbs and sugar and you will lose weight..but hard if you have food addiction issues and cravings . I know i am in pretty good shape for my age but i always had a sugar addiction that i cannot conquer. one time i gave it up for almost a year and it was utter torture. now i learn to live with it in moderation. But it is a struggle.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Caloric deficit. A good diet, low carbs, and exercise.

I run 3-4 miles then lift heavy weights, 5 days a week.

My diet is bland and not for the faint of heart. Low carbs too, no bread.

Even that alone is hard to keep and stay fit. Im pretty ripped.

Fat lady I work with giving nutritional and dieting advise, goes for a half mile walk then pigs out on junk. I bite my lip and keep my thoughts to myself.

Big Dudes in the gym with huge beer bellies, that is the new normal.

Edit: I recently too a trip overseas, Mediterranean. People there are thin, I didn’t see one over weight person other than the Americans at the airport, they don’t eat huge meals, and I hardly saw any meat. I believe they eat once a day, no fast food joints, no gyms either. I was shocked.
edit on 15-9-2022 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Fat lady I work with giving nutritional and dieting advise, goes for a half mile walk then pigs out on junk. I bite my lip and keep my thoughts to myself.

I think we worked with the same lady. My coworker told everyone she only ate organic and clean. Pfttt.
She literally, LITERALLY brought McDonald’s in for her breakfast every morning!

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   

What worked for me was having someone swat me on the bum if I strayed too close to the fridge. I lost 50+ lbs. And I'm the kind of guy who'd want to lick the gluten off the sheets if mrs butterwoth and chef bouyardee had sex there. Loving, supportive paddlin'

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   
My daughter is all about getting probiotics in your gut as well...the friendly bacteria that help digestion. Especially if you had a stint of antibiotics recently. Also if you get a chance, take a food sensitivity test. It will tell you what foods tend to cause you inflammation in your body.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Look up high fructose corn syrup and what it does to the body. It actually makes you hungry. Unfortunately it's in a lot of processed food. Keto or Paleo diets seem to work but you have to really commit to it. It has to become a lifestyle. If you lose the weight and then go back to eating the way you used to, you'll just gain it all back.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Great thread.

I was heading in the wrong direction myself. Ive always been a foodie, buffalo wings on game day, crappy eating habits, and eating all hours of the day and night.

I moved into an apartment years ago, and it was depressing as hell, I missed my back yard bigtime, the apartment was close to all kinds of restaurants though and then my bad habits blossomed. Then my father got pancreatic cancer and passed away almost 2 years later. In the almost 2 years I lived with him and Mom making sure he was taken care of, I got even fatter and fatter. It got worse after he died i DGAF for a long time and was just going through the motions.

I'm saying all that because Ive lost almost 100 pounds in about the last 18 months and it isn't anything but diet. Even my Doctor was pleased

Been trying to go totally carb-less and intermittent fasting. Eliminated all sugar intake except honey and I even watch what fruits I eat.

Definite agree with the OP's points here all I can add is to watch the sodium intake and food allergies. I recently eliminated cheese from my diet, and have limited other milk and dairy for a while and think I'm going to drop dairy altogether. Inflammation got to try and eliminate that by using whatever works in your case, for me I kept a food journal if I ate something and it makes me feel like crap I'd note it and stop eating eat. In addition to limiting the dairy and carbs, my one guilty pleasure was air-popped popcorn with no salt, all healthy right? nope well at least for me.

I try and fast for 36/48 hours every 2 weeks and also try and eat KETO in a 4-hour window every day, been doing that for 6 weeks.

The good news is my blood and kidney and liver functions are much better than 16 months ago. Unless there is something else going on, that's all diet. It's as encouraged as Ive been in 6 years.

Exercise is crucial, just imagine how much I would have lost by now, doing both.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Can I simplify that list?

1. Stop shoving crap in your pie-hole.
2. Get off your butt and exercise.

How's that?

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   
There’s a good website and book by Dr. Davis.

drdavisinfinitehealth.com...

It’s worth at least a quick look at.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6
Hey I only 'visualise' weights in kilo's so I went "wow" when I converted your 100lbs, only 5kgs short of two bags of cement!!
I'm impressed, and only from diet changes, well done...exercise will definitely be easier when you do that, now you ain't carrying two bags of cement ffs!!!👍👍👍

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Great tips. I gained over 30 pounds over several years and then had dental work last year and some more this year. I cut out all the soda, did longer intermittent fasting on my time off and cut back on sugar in my foods. Lost over 20 pounds last year. Lowered my bad cholesterol and slightly raised my good. The food industry here in the US adds high fructose corn syrup to almost all our foods including ketchup. It is difficult to find foods in a normal store without added sugar or corn syrup. I saw a video showing the same brand of Heinz ketchup sold in the US versus the UK and the UK version did not have all the added sugars or corn syrup. It's like that for most of our food here in the US.

I also enjoy watching youtube with Dr Sten Eckberg and a Dr Eric Berg hopefully I spelled their names correct. They talk about intermittent fasting, etc. and I've seen how doctors automatically prescribe statins if your cholesterol is above a certain level and heard one study state your chance of developing diabetes increases 71% if you are taking statins. Granted I did not hear if these people all had other health issues which those not taking statins did not. I am trying to focus on getting more sleep which I heard reduces the hunger hormone. I like the description that if you get used to going longer hours to breakfast, you usually stop feeling hungry after an hour or so and then may forget until your next normal meal. Of course anyone who is already diabetic or thin, pregnant or suffering certain medical issues need to treat things different or check with their doctor. I am not a doctor. I did hear high VLDL and low HDL were both very bad symptoms to have in combination.

I am also drinking a little bit of pomegranate juice in the morning or with my first meal most days like 1.5 ounces or 3 ounces, enough for the bottom of glass since I read an Israeli study indicated it reduces plaque in the arteries after drinking it for several weeks or months. I have not taken tests to see for myself but it has not hurt me. It can reduce blood or cause some thinning of blood so something else to check if someone is taking medications. I am not a doctor. Doctors are only going to give people the standard level of care they were taught to give. Your own health for most is literally in your own hands in my opinion.

I will add I am 56 and I have heard others around my age so it's too late to lose weight and they give up following the standard advise eat less exercise more. I lost weight without exercising but was already walking 3 to 5 miles a day at work in steel toed shoes which weigh about 5 pounds. I do have a mountain bike and do some occasional exercise though which helps to lose weight. I tend to do what seems fun for me, not just to exercise whether that is riding a mountain bicycle or going bowling, walking a golf course, etc. or just walking through the neighborhood.
If it seems like work, you aren't going to want to do that very much.
edit on 15/9/22 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join