It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You want to Round up to Donate?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Are you sick of hearing this every time you go out?

At first it was just a handfull of fast food restaurants.
Yesterday I went to the grocery store and they asked. Are we unable to buy anything without them
pandering to us to give to their "charity"?
I heard everyone around me, NO, NO, NO. Not a single yes. People are tired of this crap.
Next time someone asks me if I want to round up, I'm going to ask them if they want to round down.

Also, it may seem like a small amount. Ten cents here, a quarter there, but as a number cruncher I can tell you they are making
massive amounts of money with this. I'm sure some "creative" accounting can probably shift some of these "donations" into other areas.

I did find it funny that someone went to a drive through and was asking the customers if they wanted to round up for her sons birthday fund.
CRAZY but I would have actually donated to that!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 12:04 PM
link   

No, because I'm not a Dr Seuss or Charles Dickens character.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yea your right you strike me as more of a Chuck Tingle character.

a reply to: TzarChasm

edit on 8-9-2022 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 12:09 PM
link   

When you round up, that donation is counts as a write off for the company. Nevermind the low percent that actually reaches charity, you're giving those companies a tax break by paying extra.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: oddscreenname

When you round up, that donation is counts as a write off for the company. Nevermind the low percent that actually reaches charity, you're giving those companies a tax break by paying extra.

I find it funny these companies barely want to pay their employees, yet are begging us for some obscure charity.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

And then they beat about their charitable donations like y they're so generous

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Yep, a pet peeve for sure.

Even worse that they take all the credit for the donations...

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I remember having to ask EVERY customer when working at a gas station if they wanted to put money into whatever charity we were doing that season.

We did "milk for kids" for awhile and i almost got fired for refusing to ask customers to donate. Kids dont NEED cow milk. And its against my beliefs.

I'm all for donating but i wonder how much actually goes to those in need.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I don't donate through companies because of rather 100 percent go to the cause, not 20 percent along with a tax write off.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:16 PM
link   
First , this started with the Ronald McDonald boxes at McDonalds a long time ago
That one IS for the Ronald McDonald House found near or within Children's Hospitals such as Egleston in Atlanta .
If you have ever had to stay at one for week(s) , I guarantee you would understand and be thankful to those who do give

Depending on the charity involved , I will give that dollar or two every . single .time.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I round up at McDonalds and Goodwill.

It's not much, but I figure it can't hurt.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iconic
I don't donate through companies because of rather 100 percent go to the cause, not 20 percent along with a tax write off.

You get the tax break as the company cannot claim it.
And , you should get an email or letter in the mail from the charity how much you gave that year for tax purposes .

Done .
Next.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The coop has the roundup to donate thing quite often. If I believe in the cause they are collecting for I say yes, if not I say no. I had studied a lot of these groups that donate over the years and half of them are not actually good for society or they spend all their money paying the employees or fancy places the organizations use and very little goes to what it is supposed to go to. There are some good ones, but I am not going to donate to groups that are promoting conflict in our society. Some of those places exaggerate things and instigate people to utilize their services so they create more need in the community....I do not like those that throw gas on the fire to stoke up donations...and there are quite a few of those that want donations.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: oddscreenname

I find it funny these companies barely want to pay their employees, yet are begging us for some obscure charity.

personally i was always annoyed when i worked for one of those companies that barely pays their employees, and every time we turned around the company was trying to con us out of even more money for this charity or other, really leaning hard about it many times. and i twas all about making the company look good as they would go on about all the money they the company were giving to "help the community", all on the backs of their already underpaid employees.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Great thread. I hope it grows interest. Compounded hourly.
My standard A:"I'd like to, but there are no institutions that
you sponsor: I could in good conscience join in with."

If that doesn't work we could rattle off a few racketeering
statutes in Title 18: assuming dessert's been served.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The shopping center who asks me to round up my change doesn't usually stop to ask me my contact information.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iconic
a reply to: Gothmog

The shopping center who asks me to round up my change doesn't usually stop to ask me my contact information.

Yeah , I thought you were speaking of working at the company .
Still , like I stated , depending on the charity , I give every single time .

edit on 9/8/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2022 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The only thing I round up on is my electricity. Middle Tennessee Electric is a supposedly a coop and the rounded up change also supposedly stays within the area. It probably all gets sucked into Nashville, but until I find proof that it's shady. I don't mind too much.

posted on Sep, 9 2022 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Really sick of being asked this. I always say no except for one time when it was an animal rescue charity.

posted on Sep, 9 2022 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: VierEyes

Really sick of being asked this. I always say no except for one time when it was an animal rescue charity.

I’d be leery of any of these places.
I once donated to a local charity through work and they never got it. I know because I know the person that ran it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join