It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school: Moment of silence for Pope - but not Reagan?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Reagan had his moment of silence after the assassination attempt by BushCO., so don't get yourself in a huff.

Reagan was not a good leader, in fact under his so called leadership AIDS spread like wildfire and men under his command pumped coc aine into this country, empowered the likes of Noriega, provided WMD to IRAQ, and illegally to IRAN (While they were fighting each other).

I'm fairly sure if you so desired, you and any non-catholics could have opted out of the moment of silence for pope-ye the holy man.

This isn't even the place to bitch about it, bitch to your school, tell them they are un-american, write to your school news paper and see if any one, anywhere, gives a rats rear end.
You might make some Catholics cry, but they need it, for therapy, after all they've allowed 20,000 of their young to be raped in the past 20 years and haven't cried enough over that.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Is this a Thread for toddlers?

No'one is CRYING to anyone!

This is a FORUM for sharing information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You all sound like Babies!

The origional poster voiced the opinion that a PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES should get an equal amount of credtit as the POPE in PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!!!

This is a valid claim regardless of religious denomination.

Clearly there are people that support both in positive and negative ways but the underlying factor is that in our system of seperation of Relig. and Gov. (Church/State) noone should be forced to partake in any prayers or any silence if they don't want to or they don't support it.

PEACE!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
We have been invaded by high school students.
You missed 4 minutes of a calc class???This is your arguement

I thought that there was a moment of silence for Reagan in schools, and even a teacher got in trouble for not observing it or some such so I did a little searching....

www.washingtontimes.com...

Here you go, a good part of the country such down gov't offices, and schools were asked to observe a moment of silence, something that was voted on during the Reagan admin for schools every morning.

www.presidentreagan.info...

I guess I lost sight of the original question also, but it is bunk. Reagan had a moment of silence, something he would have wanted.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by esdad71]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
*Sheesh* Give a break, guys! That a school actually ACKNOWLEDGED the existance of a Pope, much less offered a moment of silence, should be COMMENDED! There's an old saying that goes something like, "You just might be able to take Religion out of State...but you can NEVER take God out of Country."

AS far as Moments of Silence for other Religious and/or State Leaders, I say, go for it. A little SILENCE is what kids need nowadays. Just remember one thing. There are no Ex-Popes.

In regards to dropping the Flags to Half-mast for others, well okay. But then you get into discussions such as, "Why didn't we drop the flag for those killed in Waco? At Wounded Knee? At the Federal Building in Oklahoma City? (One day for each life lost is asking too much?)

Let's face it. If we lower the flags across the country ONLY ONE DAY, to honor each American soldier who died in WWII, we won't see the flag at Full-Mast until the year 3435. (rough guess) Practicality overrules, sorry.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
We have been invaded by high school students.
You missed 4 minutes of a calc class???This is your arguement

I thought that there was a moment of silence for Reagan in schools, and even a teacher got in trouble for not observing it or some such so I did a little searching....

www.washingtontimes.com...

Here you go, a good part of the country such down gov't offices, and schools were asked to observe a moment of silence, something that was voted on during the Reagan admin for schools every morning.

www.presidentreagan.info...

I guess I lost sight of the original question also, but it is bunk. Reagan had a moment of silence, something he would have wanted.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by esdad71]

That's great. Good for the good part of the country
. However, my school did not. We did, however, have moment of silence for a RELIGIOUS leader. A couple years ago, the Grand Rabbi died. He was very important to a large number of Jews. Why didn't he receive a moment of silence? If you give a moment of silence to the head of one religion and not the other, isn't that inferring that that religion is more important than the other? That's wrong.

*Sheesh* Give a break, guys! That a school actually ACKNOWLEDGED the existance of a Pope, much less offered a moment of silence, should be COMMENDED! There's an old saying that goes something like, "You just might be able to take Religion out of State...but you can NEVER take God out of Country."

AS far as Moments of Silence for other Religious and/or State Leaders, I say, go for it. A little SILENCE is what kids need nowadays. Just remember one thing.

Moment of silence for one religious leader, you gotta give it to 'em all, or else it becomes discrimination.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this. But when reagan died wasn't the public school system allready into the summer. I'm sure their might be examples of it not, but at least for florida it was summer session allready, and who wants a bunch of kids taking summer school honoring Reagan!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
You know I told this a british friend of mine at my school. He came here in NY from Britian about a year ago. When we walked by the flag I asked did it offend him that it was half way because of the pope and he was not catholic. He said no(not because he is British hehe
). He said he doesnt give a sh!t if its halfway. Then he said Americans complain to much.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Let's see, a public school full of young male children doing a moment of silence for someone who covered up the child rapings of the church in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's. Makes perfect sense. What's next? An all rape victim school giving a moment of silence to Jack the Ripper?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Let's see, a public school full of young male children doing a moment of silence for someone who covered up the child rapings of the church in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's. Makes perfect sense. What's next? An all rape victim school giving a moment of silence to Jack the Ripper?

The pope has nothing to do with priests. He does not decide who is a priest, where a priest goes or anything else. Please stop this insanity.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I am sorry if in your area there was not a moment of silence observed for a religious leader who passed on.

A moment of silence is a time to reflect on your own life and contemplate the things that you have accomplished and the goals you still wish to attain in the later years of your life. I think a moment of silence every day, might make people take a moment to change the momentum of thier day.

This is a non-denominational moment in time provided to reflect on our own lives....

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
I am sorry if in your area there was not a moment of silence observed for a religious leader who passed on.

A moment of silence is a time to reflect on your own life and contemplate the things that you have accomplished and the goals you still wish to attain in the later years of your life. I think a moment of silence every day, might make people take a moment to change the momentum of thier day.

This is a non-denominational moment in time provided to reflect on our own lives....

Nice try but uh, no. If this was true, our moment of silence should have had no name attached to it.

I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this. But when reagan died wasn't the public school system allready into the summer. I'm sure their might be examples of it not, but at least for florida it was summer session allready, and who wants a bunch of kids taking summer school honoring Reagan!

School let out June 22 last year. Reagan died on June 6. We were still in school.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Nice try but uh, no. If this was true, our moment of silence should have had no name attached to it.

Not sure what is the matter with a name bieng attached to a moment of silence? So you are stating that if it were a moment of silence with no name attached to it, it would have been ok to waste 4 minutes of your calc class, however the pope is not worthy. It is thinking such as this at a high school level that it worrisome in todays society.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
He was a world leader of an allied nation. I think if Tony Blair died the same thing would probably have happened.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Not sure what is the matter with a name bieng attached to a moment of silence? So you are stating that if it were a moment of silence with no name attached to it, it would have been ok to waste 4 minutes of your calc class, however the pope is not worthy. It is thinking such as this at a high school level that it worrisome in todays society.

The moment of silence was to show respect to the pope. Not a moment to think about your life, what's on tv tonight, etc. It was clearly done in honor and rememberance of his life.

Should this be done in schools for the passing of a religious figurehead? No.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by tacho]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
He was a world leader of an allied nation. I think if Tony Blair died the same thing would probably have happened.

Hmm, I wonder if God forbid the leaders of France or Germany would die, would they also get the honor of the flag at half staff? Or they don't count anymore?

Funny how you singled out this lapdog of Bush's.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Of course we should all honor the Pope.

This man has done more for PEACE between nations and religions then anyone else.
He traveled the whole world and he was welcome everywhere.
He died and muslims, jews, protestants, honor him. How many people can claim the same?

He has done more good for this world then all the deadbeat sorry-ass poor excuses for human beings... also known as politicians who rule the world.

Of course he deserves a minute of silence, and in this case you won't hear other religions protest that saying it is not PC. They will all honor him.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
Of course we should all honor the Pope.

This man has done more for PEACE between nations and religions then anyone else.
He traveled the whole world and he was welcome everywhere.
He died and muslims, jews, protestants, honor him. How many people can claim the same?

He has done more good for this world then all the deadbeat sorry-ass poor excuses for human beings... also known as politicians who rule the world.

Of course he deserves a minute of silence, and in this case you won't hear other religions protest that saying it is not PC. They will all honor him.

Unless of course, they're of a religion that doesn't give a damn about the Pope. I doubt a satanist would care to give a moment of silence to the Pope. My friend, a sikh, didn't care about the Pope. Another friend of mine, a jew, didn't wanna give a moment of silence to the Pope. Maybe you think he did great, but isn't that subjective? When you get to the base of it, his sphere of influence came from the fact that he was the *catholic* leader. At the bottom of all the fluff, that is basically what we were forced to honor.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
At the bottom of all the fluff, that is basically what we were forced to honor.

Damn man, I can think of a lot more things to get upset about, remember the AFC championship game?

Forced to honor him? I don't think so. What did you do? Pray? No, 1 minute down time that you could have used to mentally work on a math problem, where's the harm?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The moment of silence was to honor the Pope, not the religion he was apart of. Pope John Paul II was one of the most respected men in the world, and people are complaining about him getting just a little respect for some of the great things he did and accomplished during his lifetime.

Just stop complaining about this and let it go. No one is going to get hurt over the one minute you missed of school because you were forced to honor a man who did great things in the world. People who complain about stuff like this make this country suck sometimes.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
When you get to the base of it, his sphere of influence came from the fact that he was the *catholic* leader. At the bottom of all the fluff, that is basically what we were forced to honor.

That is exactly what we are NOT honoring.
Catholics are the ones who mourn the loss of their religious leader.
Others honor his deeds which are not directly related to his religion, like his role in fall of communism, or how much he spoke of genocide being commited in balkan countries, then his world tour, his friendships with other religious leaders, his work to create peace and a bridge between various religions and so on.

We honor the deeds which have greatly influenced the world, not his religious role.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join