It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Tipping culture gone too far?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2022 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: VierEyes

Negative reinforcement has been known to not work for a few decades. There is a huge difference between performing because you want to and doing it because you're afraid not to. I prefer the positive reinforcement model. Better quality of life overall IMO.

You've clearly never been to Japan. Hard work and service to others are built into their culture.

posted on Jul, 29 2022 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: VierEyes

No, I have not. I need to look at that closer I guess.

posted on Jul, 29 2022 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MatthewGraybeal13

Not entirely true, the CEO's (while often greedy) aren't to blame. It's the people themselves. We've grown to expect that basically no education or valuable skills means we are entitled to a livable wage. That's just not the case. We're worth exactly what we put into ourselves. I'm all for a basic minimal wage like we have now, but don't expect a job for kids in school to support a family of five. I realize not everyone has the access (either time or monetary) to get schooling of some sort, but there are jobs out there that pays better that you can live off of with little or no education. (They just require you to put in hard work, like entry level construction.)

I've worked horrible jobs, jobs that were well below my "paygrade" because I was in a tough situation. I could hardly put food on my table as is, much less support anyone else. But I never once thought, "This is the tippers fault!". And in reality, tipping only gets you an extra grand a year, which can help but in no way makes up for low wage.

While I do agree that we need to "look down on the Business Model". Some businesses have extremely shady practices that put their employees last. That kind of lack of ethics need to go. You can't screw over your employee to make your shareholders happy. Any company that does that aren't worth being a patron of.

But the lack of skills of an employee isn't my problem, and honestly I don't care. Go to school and get a diploma of some sort to increase your value as an employee or find another line of (often tougher) work.

On another note, tipping has gone over the top. It's all about greed now. Have you noticed they now want you to tip cashiers now, someone who literally punches up some buttons. Absolutely not. Not unless they were my server or someone who provided an actual service to me. I've seen systems in place now that want you to tip an electronic device (!) that does everything automatically. Like the company providing it wants tips... Like, seriously? (More common in Europe now than the U.S.)

Everything is about squeezing you for an extra few cents. Do a good job in a service industry and I'll tip you more than the 15%. Am I going to tip a machine that I myself place an order into? No. Am I going to feel guilty for someone who is struggling because of their choices (or lack thereof)? No.

/Rant.

posted on Jul, 29 2022 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

That's hard to do. Most CEOs have pay that is merit based, using bonuses and stock options. The problem is that those bonuses and stick options are based on short-term gains that do not usually reflect the actual job done. That's why we have so much trouble with corporatism.

Gotta be careful setting those goals.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 29 2022 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Sorry, adjust my glasses: "Has tripping gone too far"?

Oh absofruitly.

Normality is so boring, it needs to be re-constructed.

posted on Jul, 29 2022 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I don’t think it’s gone too far in ways you suggest, but it has gone too far in other ways.

Namely that the thieving bastards in management keep the tips for themselves, and the IRS will throw teenagers in jail for not reporting their tips as income (while literal billions flow out of the country every month from megacorporations never to be seen again).

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I usually tip at least 20%. Some cases when it's just a few beers and I'm friends with the bartender I've tip up tonand over 200%. Like if my tab is only five bucks. I'll give him or her a ten, because I know they'll return the payment in a different. Such as when I need to restock certain herbs.

It's like a social currency exchange.

But yeah, it is getting ridiculous. I'm not tipping someone who just brings me my food and drink unless they make it a memorable experience, amd even then with the price of food and taxes going up my tip percentage starts to go down.

I used to cost me like twenty something to eat an appetizer, meal, desert, and a couple of beers. Now it costs me almost fifty or more at more and more places. That's just for me. So, now I've cut out the dessert, a beer, and now I tend to eat either a big appetizer, or just a main dish.
It's not that I can't afford it, it's more of a principle thing.

Any thing over a hundred and I'm not tipping anywhere close to 50% unless it's a piercing or tattoo or any other piece of art.

Food? Forget about it. I'm probably going to go back to tipping no more than ten or fifteen percent. Or just give them a five.

Drinks? I'll tip well because I'm friends with most of the bartenders in town, and they always provide whatever it is I'm looking for.

But I'm not tipping the person who made me a salad, or smoothie, or just tallied up my order. I'm not tipping the cashier for just being a cashier. If I want to tip the cook I'll give the money directly to the cook.

It's a weird trend for people to start thinking that any and every service warrants a tip on top of their regular wage for a regular job.

It's like a growing amount of people expect to be given a tip just for anything even if the job done is piss poor.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join