It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Tipping culture gone too far?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It all started with a few professions, doormen, servers, bell boys etc.
Now it seems everyone has their hand out.

Some restaurants are now putting line items for tips for servers/bussboy/cook/hostess
Not just that, at a lot of food places there is a tip jar for cashiers.

Someone mentioned it the other day, they feel weird tipping someone that just hands them a drink.
They also feel weird not giving them a tip.
Maybe it's because we know deep down all these people aren't paid a living wage and it's hard to justify spending 6 bucks on a drink and not giving a little something to the poor souls that have to make it? Who knows?

During the Pandemic I placed a few grocery delivery orders. The suggested tip for my order was $70.
It was about a hours work. Don't get me wrong I worked a few jobs where I relied on tips, BUT I was not paid minimum wage at the time.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I agree. Could be 'just' greed from corporations, or it could be another part of the purposeful destruction of the middle-class. That we end up paying the 'servers' wages, while the CEOs become multi-billionaires.
All part of 'you will own nothing and be happy' ?

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think it's just plain greed. Everyone wants their cut.

It's like the mob.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Tried accupuncture for the first time at the recommendation of a colleague. It is covered by my insurance so I gave it a try. I was absolutely shocked to see a tip line on the credit card voucher when I checked out.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Since CEO's won't Increase basic pay, the burden to pay our low-skill but tenacious workers their fair share...Falls to the consumers themselves...To recognize the value of getting fast stuff, fast and efficient... *Often under grueling conditions

As Someone who spent almost half their Life in Las Vegas, and worked $hit jobs, as well as worked for myself to make ends meet. Tip you cheap bastards, if you can! Do not look down on the worker, look down on the Business Model. Vote with your wallet!

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Yes. Coming from someone who waited tables and had concession/cashier jobs in college, I agree it has gone too far. Our area has fast food employees making $15 - 20 an hour. These jobs are paid for the difficulty level, and I will not tip you for filling up a paper box with french fries. Yes, I worked at Burger King in high school; I actually think everyone should have to do some time serving others as it sure is an eye-opener.

Waiting tables can be difficult if you have a big station. People can be a bit assholish even on a good day. I always tip well if the service is good. This service job has a few more moving parts, especially if it is fine dining and the customers expect the level of service they are paying for and a bit of wine knowledge if they don't have a sommelier.

I sell art at juried art festivals, I might interact with a thousand or so people at a really large event (think 12k people on a day,) and I would call myself a salesperson as I am trying to sell my art. For the first time in 12 years, a young couple with two small children bought a small piece from me and tried to tip me for my " great customer service," as they were happy with how much I interacted with them. I didn't even know how tipping worked on my payment software, and I told them no need. I enjoyed talking to the little ankle biters, and I did. I think tipping has gone too far.

This constant need for tipping brings to mind those newly graduated youngsters that think they should be making 100k fresh out of college with virtually no experience. There is plenty of entitlement to go around, I think.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I'm a chronic over tipper but only for the usual roles where it has been an established part of the profession.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm also conflicted. In my local area, I know there are places where the base amount is $2.33/hour. Everything else is tips. I know where these places are, and tip accordingly. On the other hand, I'm not gonna tip at the drive up window at my local McDonalds. They are advertising $15/hour starting wages! Nope, not gonna tip them. I do eat out quite a bit, so know what most places are paying their servers. Not everyone knows this. I don't feel I should have to tip at a fast food joint where they are handing me a burger, fries and soda. I never did before, why should I have to start now? On the other hand, I have been at some sit down establishments where I have had wonderful service, and I will actually double the bill. In other words, let's say my total order was $25.00. I'll just double that for the tip. I don't do this too often, as it is expensive, and it has to be super good service, but I have done this a few times. One time was Christmas of 2020, when I was just happy to be able to eat out at all. The service was excellent, and the food was great. I doubled the bill, and felt pretty good about it.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 03:41 PM
link   

salaries for everyone have stagnated for the last 20+ years, if companies just paid a better basic wage there would only be a need to tip, when someone has treated you well and the service was impeccable

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 03:42 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 04:29 PM
link   

When I visited the US in 2013 every one wanted a damn dollar for nearly everything.

Asked a kid in NY where the closest subway station was, he told me and then asked for a dollar. He didn’t get one.

The roller skating guy in Venice Beach playing guitar in his speedos (don’t know what you guys call them, the bathers equivalent of male underwear) had an EFTPOS machine on his hip to take card payments. That I could kind of understand but then there was another dude just standing around in the same get up (but with no roller skates, cape or guitar) and wanted a dollar for that. The bloke with the chessboard inviting people to play, also wanted a dollar after the game.

Bartenders wanting a tip for passing you a beer and so on.

It’s a strange cultural thing. On the one hand it’s an incentive for workers to provide great service, on the other hand it’s business owners and companies being cheap and not paying their workers properly though, and this is a genuine question - how would you guys feel about paying $2 more for a beer, more for a meal etc. to do away with tipping?

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 04:44 PM
link   

No one forces you to tip. If you don't feel their service requires a tip, don't.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 04:46 PM
link   
In the end Families who have to figure in a tip of an appointed percentage, end up not going out to dinner as often and
it probably eventually loses the business money.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

No one forces you to tip. If you don't feel their service requires a tip, don't.

That is no longer always the case.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I wish the US was like Japan. Tipping is offensive.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 05:03 PM
link   

In Australia, tipping used to be a thing in restaurants kinda. The the corporation* introduced a 10% GST ( Goods & Services Tax) which was basically them taking the tip money, so it's not really a thing now.

*- an organisation previously known as The Government which used to be democratically elected with it's primary roll to serve the electorate, not a foreign treasonous fascist totalitarian agenda.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The last time I worked at food service I was a busser.

Clean and clear tables to make ready for the next customer.

My pay was $2.13 an hour in 1997.

The waitresses (who would brag about making $200 a night) were supposed to provide a tip out to the bartenders and bussers as part of their requirements to help compensate us for our contiribution to the operation.

After two weeks of busting my ass during the dinner rushes (8 hours shifts, 40 hours a week) I recieved my "tip out".

Eight dollars.

I quit.

I refuse to work food service again.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
The last time I worked at food service I was a busser.

Clean and clear tables to make ready for the next customer.

My pay was $2.13 an hour in 1997.

The waitresses (who would brag about making $200 a night) were supposed to provide a tip out to the bartenders and bussers as part of their requirements to help compensate us for our contiribution to the operation.

After two weeks of busting my ass during the dinner rushes (8 hours shifts, 40 hours a week) I recieved my "tip out".

Eight dollars.

I quit.

I refuse to work food service again.

I did my share of being a server when I was young, no thanks. These days I would seriously hurt someone.
I think they hire young people knowing they have more tolerance of the BS people dish out.
People would be ridiculous, one guy wanted his soup so scalding it could melt your skin.
One woman wanted cashew chicken with no cashews, I could write a book about that time. The worst of the worst was a Southern preacher that came in and shoved his fat face and never tipped.

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Lol, service free, *shocked* at a tip line

a reply to: Buvvy

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I've never seen it compulsory to tip anywhere. Where have you?

If there is a tip line on the receipt, and I don't feel it requires a tip (such as a buffet restaurant) I'll write $0.00 in it. Fun fact: You don't need to write anything in the tip line. You can write in $100 or $0 every time on every line. All that matters is the amount on total line.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join