It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Caan dead at 82 ...Look at what they did to my boy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I can remember watching " Brian's Song" when it came out. As Sonny, though he was made for that part. IIRC he came in to read for Micheal but was selected to play Sonny.

twitter.com...

James Caan, the Oscar-nominated actor known for roles in “The Godfather," ”Brian's Song,'' “Misery,'' and ”Elf,'' died Wednesday at the age of 82.

Caan's death drew tributes and expressions of grief from industry colleagues and fans.

edit on 7-7-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Yeah man. This decade all the greats will fall.

Loved him in Misery. Rollerball. The first half of Godfather.
edit on 7-7-2022 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:14 PM
link   

One of my favourite actors. Everything I've seen him act in has been good so I feel this is a big loss for film lovers but he certainly left a mark before he passed and I will honor him by binging some of his movies this weekend.

I didn't know he was in his eighties. How time flies.

Rest in peace James.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:19 PM
link   
If I recall correctly....

The first time I saw him was as an Astronaut in Countdown. Second time was in a Howard Hawk's flick called El Dorado where he played besides Robert Mitchum and John Wayne as "Mississippi". And lets not forget "Misery", "RollerBall", "Brian's Song"

He played a Ex-CIA Agent in Killer Elite. I also thought he did a great job in the TV Series "Las Vegas".

Such a talented actor I hope he rest in peace.
Johnny

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Yeah man. This decade all the greats will fall.

Loved him in Misery. Rollerball. The first half of Godfather.

He was excellent as Paul Sheldon in Misery, I forgot Thief was pretty good too

www.imdb.com...

Appears in Misery (1990), which was directed by Rob Reiner. His son, Scott Caan, appeared in Ocean's Eleven (2001) and Ocean's Twelve (2004), opposite Reiner's father, Carl Reiner.
In the Godfather trilogy, Andy Garcia plays the son of Caan's character, Sonny Corleone. In Ocean's Eleven (2001) and Ocean's Twelve (2004), Caan's son, Scott Caan, works with Garcia.

Turned down Jack Nicholson's role in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975). Not one to repeat that mistake, he accepted the lead role in Misery (1990) when Nicholson turned it down. Both films involved the lead character being at the mercy of a sadistic nurse.

edit on 7-7-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I went to high school with Scott caan. Not a tall man.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

I was going to say El Dorado as the earliest film I remember seeing him in. His son played Danno on the reboot of Hawaii 50 and did a good job with what was there. James Caan even came in as a bit part as his father…which is the last thing I recall him doing.

A Bridge Too Far is the closest we got to a James Caan/Gene Hackman movie. Which is too bad as I think they could have easily did a great series of movies together in the 70’s and 80’s ranging from mafia to westerns to cop movies. Would had been a strong duo if they would have done them.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I went to high school with Scott caan. Not a tall man.

Went to school with some not-so-tall people as well, but they were not men, mostly children...

RIP for the Caandy-Man !!

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 07:33 PM
link   

He had some great films.

Thief has always been one of my favorites that flew somewhat under the radar, and which first put him on my radar as a WOW actor. .

edit on 7-7-2022 by SirHardHarry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

Those are all great, too, especially EL Dorado and Misery. Killer Elite I had trouble finding for a while, and The Gambler is fun for what it is.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Very sad news!

With every artist of that era that passes, a small piece of me dies as well.

I appreciated him in Thief, Il Padrino, Mickey Blue Eyes and Elf for a laugh.

R.I.P. James

edit on 7/7/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join