It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 safest places living in your car.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I came across this cool guy who seems to have it worked out. No rent power or utilities to pay, just a growing bank account. We are obviously in an emergency with regards to accommodation so as always a human will adapt to the circumstances. Personally, I think a small van that looks like an electrical contractor or plumber is the way to go. Or even a van with a small Jobs logo on the side with your cell phone number as you will be approached to do work if you are that way inclined.
The main thrust is having a safe place to sleep and access to hygiene facilities. Many years ago I enjoyed this way of life, in an old Bedford van. I literally had the greatest time of my life, as my recreational spending allowance gave me the ability to dine out, meet girlfriends, and hardly ever spent much time in the van as I was sleeping over if you get my drift. It tends to leave you with a brooding resentment for having to pay ridiculous amounts of your money donating it to some other guy's retirement plan. This was before cell phones, add the increased mobility to be able to gain more remunerative employment at moments noticed so one can see how it has benefits.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Need gas. Period.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Sounds like he lives in... california?
If you come to the east coast, you can't live in your car.

In the summer, it gets too hot- you'll bake alive.
In the winter, we have *winter* - you'll freeze to death.
We heat our homes in the winter with heating oil- currently over $5/gallon. Houses have 275 gallon tanks (plural) where cars do not.

the entire premise of living in a car is just completely bull# anywhere with actual weather. At least the bums on the street can pop into the homeless shelter when things get hard- the rest of us have to worry about those bums breaking into our cars for a dry place to sleep.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

In the summer, it gets too hot- you'll bake alive.

Yeah , good thing we in Georgia have ALWAYS had air-conditioning

In the winter, we have *winter* - you'll freeze to death.

With a good sleeping bag , nonsense , as I have proven that wrong soooo many times deer hunting .

We heat our homes in the winter with heating oil- currently over $5/gallon. Houses have 275 gallon tanks (plural) where cars do not.

Don't need it , see above .

You must really be young.
Or inexperienced .
Or both .

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I live in the upper Midwest where it gets really cold and really hot. I know of several people that lived in a van all year round and this was back in the early 2000's before there were all kinds of gadgets for camping and living this type of life.

The van ran but it was parked most of the time. At one point they even had the van for sale but no one bought it. I'm still puzzled why they didn't just drive away to a better climate and my guess was because the state benefits were so good. This person was close to the grocery store, restaurants, bus line, and health club where he would shower etc. I do not think that they had a job and most likely lived off the state but my point was it is possible.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'd like to see an urban survivor type TV program something like dual survivor. Have some survivalist types live on the streets in an urban area. They could share all kinds of tips like what dumpsters to eat out of, what kind of animals to hunt and trap, where to find good water, how to make a shelter from available materials, self defense tactics, etc.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

I think this will work for an individual but what about for a family....? I've heard of families living like this before but it must be really hard.
edit on 8-6-2022 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I lived for years in a Van and a f150 W/campershell. I would return to that lifestyle now if I didn't have responsibilities.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:03 PM
link   
If I could live like that, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Maybe later in life, you gotta have dreams

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Dirty Secret:

OTR truck driver lives in their truck a considerable amount of time each year. Some at or near 100% of the time. The sleeper compartment is far smaller than most every tiny house you have seen. However most do not have a kitchen nor bathroom. But some do have a sink, microwave and fridge.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 05:07 PM
link   
With the right vehicle it's really not that bad. I've done it quite a bit. It is absurd how much money you can save.

The key is, like a few have said before, is to not spend more time than you have to inside of the vehicle. A van is preferable. You can hook up a little trailer or platform to hook a bicycle or motorbike.

I never did it, but I know people who put solar panels on the roof, and also a back up generator.

Honestly. I wouldn't mind going back to that lifestyle. Maybe, get a bigger utility van and reinforce it. An old RV would be nice, but they obviously can't be turned into something inconspicuous.
edit on 8-6-2022 by AutomateThis1v2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 05:25 PM
link   

This older lady is living in a small car and seems to be doing fine. If I was in my 20's and facing these rents, I might do it for a year or two and then buy a small place for cash. Then just keep saving money over the next 5-10 years until you own your own place without a mortgage.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Slab city would be my go to .

join