It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists accidentally gene-edit hamsters into meanies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Truncated the thread title on purpose to fit, original as follows:
Scientists 'really surprised' after gene-editing experiment unexpectedly turn hamsters into hyper-aggressive bullies

Here's one I'm surprised wasn't already posted. Turns out just turning stuff off genetically can go very pear-shaped. IMO, the ethics aside (playing god is it's own debate) this brings up the question of if genetic shut-offs are risky, then their chemical go-to equivalents surely need a second look, no? That's a wide range of meds out there today for an unending list of everything.

A team of neuroscience researchers was left "really surprised" after a gene-editing experiment unexpectedly created hyper-aggressive hamsters, according to a statement by Georgia State University (GSU).

The scientists used Syrian hamsters and CRISPR-Cas9 — a revolutionary technology that makes it possible to turn on or off genes in cells. The technology knocked out a receptor of vasopressin — a hormone associated with enhanced aggression.

The scientists anticipated that doing so would "dramatically" alter the social behavior of the Syrian hamsters, making them more peaceful. It did change their behavior, but not how they had expected.

"We anticipated that if we eliminated vasopressin activity, we would reduce both aggression and social communication," Albers continued. "But the opposite happened."

I'm honestly a little skeeved.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The mere fact that they are trying to “calm” and “decrease communication abilities” of the hamsters through gene editing experiment is scary, however, I understand that the intent is to “benefit” mankind. In this case it looks like they are building on an older study that was attempting to develop a way to treat autism.

“ A 2020 study showed that low levels of vasopressin in cerebrospinal fluid can flag many infants who are later diagnosed with autism. But clinical trials have shown that either providing vasopressin or blocking its effects can improve social communication in autistic children.” www.spectrumnews.org...

a reply to: Nyiah

edit on 22-5-2022 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-5-2022 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   

This is where my mind went:

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   
That doesn't sound like something they would potentially want to do to humans? now does it?

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:37 AM
link   

When I hear CRISPR or CAS9 the hair on my arms automatically stand up....

And with the hamster experiment, I'm sure someone, somewhere is going to want all the data on it and use it for "other" things... human kind is not ready for this tech

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
That doesn't sound like something they would potentially want to do to humans? now does it?

More expensive, and less reliable, than whips.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Mind went here the moment I read this story.

this kind of science will lead to control.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

I was referring to its eventual or potential applications, not during the experimentation phase. Sounds like something they would eventually try on a prison population

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

That's where mine went.

They created hamster Reavers.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Sounds like something they would eventually try on a prison population

Or politicians....

As far as trying to prevent autism, it's my personal belief they need to take a closer look at all the combined chemicals used to prolong shelf life and enhance the color/flavor of the foods we eat. Maybe even a more honest study of GMOs and the chemicals that leech into the crops, but that would be too easy.
edit on 70000001212America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: sp

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   
< chuckles >

I think plenty of us were thinking, "Uh, hey, remember Serenity?" XD

a reply to: Buvvy

I see autism research is the claim, but all roads to hell & so forth. This could be an entirely new, probably Boss-level, kind of lobotomy-like approach.
And with those nifty new alert-giving prescription pills that alert if you've even swallowed them yet that was shown at, Davos was it?
With all that considered, the proverbial slope is starting to feel uncomfortably slick. Isn't it.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Honestly I think we have already accelerated and that ramp looking thing is actually a cliff.

The only remaining question is if enough people recognize the danger and react, or will we live in a world of

Without the sunglasses.
edit on 22-5-2022 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

Sounds like something they would eventually try on a prison population

Or politicians....

As far as trying to prevent autism, it's my personal belief they need to take a closer look at all the combined chemicals used to prolong shelf life and enhance the color/flavor of the foods we eat. Maybe even a more honest study of GMOs and the chemicals that leech into the crops, but that would be too easy.

I agree, if we eliminated the additives and sugar and bad fat from our diet we would have more beneficial effects with fewer potential negative side effects than this experiment would ever have.

Not to mention it could be implemented immediately under the emergency health crisis precedent that has been set since COVID-19.

but Id imagine the folks at ConAgra might own a politician or 30 that would be completely against such measures

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The only clip i can find of the ultra hard and aggresive 'special patrol group' from The Young Ones

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 05:52 PM
link   

They created Hammond from Overwatch.

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Hmm, well throw this in a bowl along with the rabies virus, mix well, administer to a test population, and then run like hell.... ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 09:43 PM
link   
is this what they feed to antifa and blm?

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I think I know the true, intended target.

If this gets into the bushy-tailed yard rats? Ain't no one gonna be safe ...

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I aim to misbehave

posted on May, 22 2022 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Scientists 'really surprised'
Maybe the supposed the Scientists should stop playing around with nature with such experiments.

<<   2 >>

join