It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morrowind 20th Anniversary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 03:59 PM
link   
On 1 May 2002 Morrowind was born to the world , 20 years later it's a game close to many gamers hearts that's still being modded even today , a team of enthusiasts are putting the finishing touches to the recreation of Morrowind in the Skyrim engine .

To help celebrate the anniversary the modder team behind the Skywind project have released a video .

Morrowind is 20 years old! Join members of our team as they reminisce about their favorite places on Vvardenfell as the landmark RPG celebrates its 20th birthday. We've included nostalgic footage from Morrowind alongside previews of Skywind's world. What locations do you recognize?

Morrowind was like no game I'd played before , the depth of the freedom of choice the game gave the player was the thing that kept me playing , the ability to follow the story or just go my own way in the world was a revelation and set the pattern for the following games.

It's also interesting to note that for half the time of that anniversary we've been waiting for ES6 !

Happy anniversary Morrowind and thanks for the memories.

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I agree I I got the game when I was pretty young 10-12 maybe and it was nothing like any other game I’d played until that point and seemed leagues ahead of anything else in terms of world creation. For the first time I felt like this game world was a real place. Marrowwind was just big enough to feel too huge to explore all of it just like the real world.

Not only the the size and craftsmanship of the world but the freedom it gave the player to carve out their own path in the world. I made so many characters and I’d get so far then not play for a week then try to play again and not remember what it was I was doing and then go on another adventure. I don’t think I killer Dagoth’Ur until I did an adult play through lol.

a reply to: gortex

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My interest was not really in RPG's back in the day , so i did not play this one.

Counterstrike and other shooters was my go to genre.

I jumped in with Oblivion on a xbox 360 , got good memories about waking up on a sunday morning boot up the system and walk around Anvil.
edit on 2-5-2022 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Morrowind was the first truly open world game I played and it made me an instant Bethesda fan. Been keeping an eye on Skywind for a few years, I would love to experience the alien world of Morrowind with better graphics. I'm also pretty hyped for Starfield because it's the first original game Bethesda has made in a long time and it gives them a chance to express that raw creativity which made them so loved in the first place. Plus I love space sims and I know Todd wants it to have a wow factor, so it will probably push the limits of what their engine can do.

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 06:46 PM
link   
And here I am remembering it's predecessors , Arena and Daggerfall . Then throw Battlespire in for kicks . Redguard .
Morrowind was the first game I heavily modded .
The memories.....
Thanks

edit on 5/2/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Right on! DL’d it but I PvP ESO for AD.

Heard nothing but good things. The OG and all.

Thanks for the post and clip.

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Ive wanted to like Morrowind for a very long time. Never made it very far.

Any good mods to make it less clunky and asthetically pleasing? IIRC that was the main issues for me.

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The dang cliff racers were ridiculous man. Almost impossible to escape!

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Chubadda

The sound of those things coming in and annoying me were constant and made me angry every single time I heard one. It was so satisfying getting to the point I could just over powered one hit kill them. The sounds they make still haunt me to this day. Well, whenever I think of Elder Scrolls games

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Morrowind has always been my number one favorite Elder Scrolls game, and probably my top favorite game of that genre.

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Gothmog

Ive wanted to like Morrowind for a very long time. Never made it very far.

Any good mods to make it less clunky and asthetically pleasing? IIRC that was the main issues for me.

Ask and thy shall receive :
Start here :

Morrowind Nexus
No , you dont have to join .

OOPS , never mind . Wrong mod .
edit on 5/3/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Elder Scrolls, my first one was Oblivion didn't play Morrowinds, but Skyrim and I get totally utterly lost and bored super fast. Too much freedom for me, I guess.
But I love all the Fallouts so maybe it's just the fantasy angle that's annoying me?

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Nice nod to a great one. One of my all-time favs. Even when it was dull and too swamped with minutia, I loved the experience... and that you could fly in it.

It was one of the first efforts at real immersion where your imagination didn't do most of the graphics and made me a lifelong Bethesda fan... at least for (most of) their Elder Scroll and (most of their) Fallout efforts.

I guess I'm a sucker for exploring well-constructed, artfully detailed minutia-filled autist-esque worlds.

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 07:25 AM
link   
One of my all time favourite games. Such an immersive world for the time and still holds up game play wise and almost graphically with some mods. Plus the fact no area was off limits, no painted on doors. If you saw a door you could enter it. First game where it felt like you were in a world with real consequences. Where how the NPC's treated you was based on your appearance/status. The crafting allowed you to create some truly insane things. I made a useless ring that fired green balls that turned any NPC's shot with it invisible. (Sadly other NPC's could still see them.)

I became a zombie once catching 'Corprus', realised my strength went up every day I was infected, but intelligence went down. I just slept for days, got more infected, became a literal god killer and then cured myself of the disease and restored my characters intelligence.
Just so many ways to play it and nothing else before it came close in terms of game play variety in a single game.

I'd love for a remake where the game is exactly the same but the NPC AI got an upgrade to give them routines and smarts like those in Oblivion and Skyrim and more enemy variety when in the wild and of course modern day graphics.

Only thing I hate about the game is the damn cliff racers.
Such a PITA those were lol. Oh and also the low amount of cash shops had. Think there is 600+ hours of game play in the base game alone if you do 'everything'. The expansions and mods increased that massively.

Still a better game than the sequels. Atmosphere, story, immersion. For its time it's a 10/10 game.
I've played it to death. Could easily play it again.

Don't forget to migrate your Bethesda accounts to Steam.

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I never played Morrowind or Oblivion but I've been stuck on Skyrim for the last 10 years. My favorites were the two Neverwinter Nights games. If only there would be a 3rd...

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Loved Morrowind back when it came it!

I still play it using OpenMW:
openmw.org...

There are mod walkthroughs as well depending on what you want to change (better graphics, etc.):
modding-openmw.com...

join