It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Stretch Food because prices will go up six percent

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Grow good ol tomatoes and homemade wine.
I like to freeze my tomatoes they taste much better and closer to fresh picked
compared to canned.
I do can some for soups and a few other uses.
Vacuum pack any freezer food it prevents freezer burn.
Bean are easy dry them bad boys they taste better.
Easy to prepare just soak them overnight in water.
Learn to make your own soft drinks and how to brew your own Beer.
buy a large bag of rice if you like rice it will last forever if stored properly.
i grow a small garden in raised beds enough to last 2 for most of the winter months.
a reply to: JAGStorm
Mother Earth News is a good source for food preservation and Growing.
Along with a lot of Homesteading Info.

edit on 9-2-2022 by bluesman462002 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2022 by bluesman462002 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   

There's only one type of bread I'm interested in now. Made of Durum wheat. The same stuff pasta is made of. Make your own sour dough yeast with organic rye and let the final dough sit in a fridge overnight. There's a ton of vids to lead you. It needs to be a bit runny and sticky. It looks easy. Mine used to turn into a big dry cookie so I started to fry it instead

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Rice n beans is the bomb. Either red beans or black beans. A sprinkling of black pepper or chili pepper.
And yeah, it's generally Too much food!

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

They don't have cans of cooked rice but they have those little bowls that are precooked, you just need to microwave it or you can eat it cold.

hetban hetban

I have seen it more prevalently in the States now than it used to be.
edit on 9/2/2022 by chris_stibrany because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   
For big bags of rice you have to find the Chinese wholesaler where the Chinese restaurants buy their rice. They do do bigger bags.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
For big bags of rice you have to find the Chinese wholesaler where the Chinese restaurants buy their rice. They do do bigger bags.

I’m Asian and I refuse to eat Chinese rice. It is the worst of the worst.

I am Korean but will only eat Japanese rice or California grown rice.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Rice n beans is the bomb. Either red beans or black beans. A sprinkling of black pepper or chili pepper.
And yeah, it's generally Too much food!

I seriously think I was Cuban in a past life. Cuban food is my absolute favorite.
I could eat rice and black beans (if cooked well) every single day. One of the main reasons I loved living in
Florida is for the authentic Cuban food. My friend and I went to the absolute worst neighborhood, we literally put our lives on the line for some good Cuban food, and it was worth it!

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   
"I can skin a buck and run a trot line
A country boy can survive"
HW Jr.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Oatmeal is a great meat extended

And the special ingredient in a wonderful southern meatloaf .

link   

Yeah I never get sick of rice and beans. It's a huge Portuguese thing as well

Arroz com feijos

Also feijoada is a good bean stew with choricou and other stuff.
feijoada

link   
dbl pst
edit on 9/2/2022 by chris_stibrany because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Spaetzle is the bomb too!
You are making my mouth water. remembering ski trips in Bayern eating homemade spaetzle at the gasthaus....

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:57 AM
link   
You got it i wondered if someone would.
LOL
a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: incoserv

I was in Mexico back in '82 when the peso plunged overnight. The other of a loaf of bread literally shot up like ten fold in a day. This was due to incredible external debt and the government's insolvency.

Tell us what happened? Did people rush out to buy whatever they could knowing prices would rise even more?

I was very recently arrived in the country, didn't speak the language yet, and wasn't integrated into community life, so I don't remember much in that regard. I do remember the general sense of shock, although with the looming external debt crisis at the time it wasn't much of a surprise.

We were living here when the government simply knocked three zeros off of the peso and declared "el nuevo peso" (the new peso). By that time, I think we were mostly so injured to governmental bovine feces and it didn't mean much to anybody.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluesman462002
You got it i wondered if someone would.
LOL
a reply to: Gothmog

"I ain't askin nobody fer nuthin
If I can get it on my own
If you don't like the way Ima livin
You can just leave this long-haired country boy alone"
There's you another one .
CDB

Southern by birth.
Georgian by the Grace of God .

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: incoserv
Sometimes a bit of common sense goes a long way.

I knew a guy who was on disability and had s very limited income. With kids. He was complaining one day about how many cans of beans it took to feed his family. My friend and I looked at each other incredulously and both of us said, "Use dry beans. It's much cheaper."

The moron said, "That's too much work."

Sometimes being broke can have positive side effects. Unless you're stupid.

Now that you mention it, I am surprised that there aren't cans of cooked rice on grocery shelves... since it is too much bother to cook.
I currently have dry beans, dry hominy, dry rice, lentils and barley in my pantry.

Walmart, etc. are places you can get a small cheap rice cooker. I got one for under $20 well over 10 years ago and it is still going strong, and it only makes smaller servings, using 1 or 2 cups of uncooked rice which makes 4-8 servings. You put the water in to the line and add a cup rice for every 4 servings. Put the lid on and come back 20-25 minutes later and it is done. Nothing else to do.

I have too many kitchen appliances already. I cook rice in a pot every couple of days and put it in the fridge. We use it as we need. I use two measures of cold water with one measure of rice, season it and bring it to a boil with an appropriate amount of butter. After it comes to a boil, set it to simmer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes are up, remove it from the heat and let set 10 minutes... do not lift the cover until the 10 minutes are up. I got it from the Betty Crocker cookbook in the early 1980's and it has never failed me.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   

6%

That is the best joke I have heard all day. It will be much more than that.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany
Yes Spaetzle!

Mhm. With cheese mixed under, fried onion and fresh ground pepper on top, it's the closest to mac and cheese I know in local foods. but it's often done without Sauce Béchamel because when you make fresh ones, they are wet enough and starchy so it makes a good cheese blend without additional flour/butter/milk.

Now I crave them too

edit on 9.2.2022 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: lol I see I wrote the word, but still

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

6%

That is the best joke I have heard all day. It will be much more than that.

That is a joke, we all know that certain things are going to skyrocket!

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

it's a nice tomato soup. My beans are manly. I could kit car body with it.
When I make a mistake like adding 3 cups of water to a cup of rice instead of two
I take a hand blender and make it into a smoothie-like soup. It workd even better with pea. In fact I mostly eat it straight. No meat, no rice. Sometimes cheese and much more oil. It's palm oil lately. With bread it is

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join