It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body Normativity and Body Shaming Endorsed by Aussie Girl Who Lost Weight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I don't know who this Rebel Williams is. I think she's one of those people who are famous for being famous. At any rate, she has gone off on a massive body shaming campaign against fa... uh ... robust people.

Seems that a couple of years ago she started what she calls her "year of health" and began to exercise and lose weight. Now she's posting "workout photos" for all the world to see! The horror! The offense! The audacity!

l. AM. APPALLED.

It's like she thinks that being thinner and exercising is somehow better than being obes ... uh ... I mean, "full-figured."

I can't imagine the pain that she's caused to large people everywhere who struggle with body image and bravely fight against body normativity.

Come on, Rebel, have a heart and gain all that weight back. Be like Lizzo (I have no idea in hell who this is, either) and let the world know that you're proud of being fa... uh ... robust. Don't be so cruel.

The audacity ...

Be like Lizzo!

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Good for Rebel being a, well, rebel! I'm sure she's happier and feels better now that she's shed those extra pounds. There's nothing wrong with celebrating something like that. It's hard to do, and if it were easy, there wouldn't be so many people struggling with their weight.

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

What is wrong with pointing out that being fat is kind of really bad for your health among other things?

Why anyone chooses to enable bad choices and self-destruction is still beyond my understanding.

I guess I should celebrate my bad choices?

edit on 9-1-2022 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Pssst ... I posted that satirically. (Don't tell anybody. Kinda ruins the effect.)
:
edit on 2022 1 09 by incoserv because: What's it to ya?

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
a reply to: infolurker

Pssst ... I posted that satirically. (Don't tell anybody. Kinda ruins the effect.)
:

LOL.

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Yeah , getting that BMI down is a threat to the obese .

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I have a granddaughter whose self image is directly tied to her weight. She's always been chunky, and decided to loose all the extra pounds. All she did was talk about how big she used to be and dis on 'fat' people, food choices, counting calories, etc. After a couple of years of enjoying the skinny life, she gained all the weight back again. I feel very sorry for her....and also for people like my youngest daughter who has been extremely large all her life, due to severe PCOS.

People with a weight problem wear their health issues on the outside for all to see, and far too many people take the opportunity to be critical of the 'package' that soul is wrapped in. Judging people because there short or tall, skinny or obese, ugly or pretty or any of the other yardsticks we measure by seems so petty.

We all choose our own death. Some just hide their choices better than others.

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
I don't know who this Rebel Williams is. I think she's one of those people who are famous for being famous. At any rate, she has gone off on a massive body shaming campaign against fa... uh ... robust people.

Seems that a couple of years ago she started what she calls her "year of health" and began to exercise and lose weight. Now she's posting "workout photos" for all the world to see! The horror! The offense! The audacity!

l. AM. APPALLED.

It's like she thinks that being thinner and exercising is somehow better than being obes ... uh ... I mean, "full-figured."

I can't imagine the pain that she's caused to large people everywhere who struggle with body image and bravely fight against body normativity.

Come on, Rebel, have a heart and gain all that weight back. Be like Lizzo (I have no idea in hell who this is, either) and let the world know that you're proud of being fa... uh ... robust. Don't be so cruel.

The audacity ...

Be like Lizzo!

She had weight loss surgery. That was not done all on her own.
Just like Adelle who also had weight loss surgery - ya know, the ol' band around the stomach so you dont eat so much.

ETA. She (Rebel) claims she didnt....but she lost weight way too fast....as fast as those who get the surgery.
edit on 2022 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

Even so, I know of at least one person who has had the surgery and gained it all back. So it's not like the surgery is a panacea. You still have to do some work.

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I remember when the news media used promote healthy lifestyles.

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92

Then came Whitney Way Thore and her big day fabulous life, and now we have this Lizzo thing assaulting our eyes.

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92

Apparently, it's no longer allowed to promote healthy lifestyles because it offends those speaking on behalf of others that are unable to achieve or uninterested in those lifestyles, because those others obviously must be offended by by viewing all those healthy people on teevee.

I'm not talking about shaming, that's just bullying by another name.

But since when did 'promoting' get twisted into 'shaming'?

/Twain Voice

edit on 10-1-2022 by Ghostsdogood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Which is worse... a woman who lost weight talking about it or society saying being morbidly obese is healthy.

I say good on her for getting healthy, and bad on society for trying to say fat is healthy.

Please note I have known a couple people that were really big but ate healthy and worked out on a regular basis they were healthy.

The vast majority of big people are not naturally big they are fat and that is not healthy, it leads to major health issues, susceptibility to viruses (coivd is a great example) and typically a shorter life span.

Now conversely the fascination with size 0 for ladies is every bit as absurd and unhealthy.

posted on Jan, 9 2022 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Oh, my gosh she looks amazing, I like her movies, they are funny and even when she was big she have a very beautiful face, is going to be hard to get use to her new image.

Way to got Rebel, she looks hot.

posted on Jan, 10 2022 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Just to add to the OP, she's not famous for being famous.

She used to be in low budget comedies such as fat pizza, as an annoying Lebanese groupie.

I've never once found her funny. Her style is just grating to my ears.

So when I see her thin, well, thinner, I can only remember those shows. Now she's big ol' Hollywood celeb, etc etc..

Now you want to see some THING that needs to have a coronary on the spot??

I apologise if you are eating, or feel sick.. This will put you off food for life, and/or make you projectile vomit... :/

posted on Jan, 10 2022 @ 06:58 AM
link   
It's a classic case of human beings being extreme. We went from fat being repulsive and ostracized to it being normalized and cherished.

But it won't last. Being overweight is something we all know is very unhealthy. And most ppl don't find it attractive.

posted on Jan, 10 2022 @ 07:08 AM
link   
If our "medical establishment" would push eating healthy and exercising over sitting home and taking injections, nobody would need to be worried about covid. It make me so mad that nobody will stand up and say the obvious... Go get exercise, get some vitamin d, move, breathe!

posted on Jan, 10 2022 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

And much like many other victim groups, the ones who want to shame people who do the work and get themselves back in gear (I happen to be one who did that; it's hard and takes time!) often hide behind the smaller group who verifiably do have metabolic issues that prevent them from attaining the goal with the usual route of diet and exercise work.

posted on Jan, 10 2022 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oppositeoftruth
If our "medical establishment" would push eating healthy and exercising over sitting home and taking injections, nobody would need to be worried about covid. It make me so mad that nobody will stand up and say the obvious... Go get exercise, get some vitamin d, move, breathe!

It's not just the medical establishment. When the shutdowns come and ordinances, they target exercise too. Gyms are shutdown as non-essential. In some places, you aren't allowed outside. Masks impeded exercise by making it more difficult and uncomfortable even if you don't have asthma and claustrophobia like I do. Sports programs are shut down.

Avenue after avenue to maintain your fitness is targeted.

posted on Jan, 10 2022 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The biggest human experiment in the world and it was not limited to the jabs, is about everything we human enjoy and cherished was taken away in the experiment to watch for human reactions, using a virus that was going to kill humanity.

People still does not get it.

The experiment is not over.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join