It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck Drivers Boycotting Colorado

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:20 AM
link   
www.newsnationnow.com...

Here is what happened:

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) — The driver of a semitrailer in a fiery crash on the Colorado interstate that killed four people in 2019 was sentenced Monday to 110 consecutive years in prison.

The judge said those were the minimum requirements under state sentencing guidelines, but that could change as the sentence is reviewed.

Rogel Aguilera-Mederos, 26, was driving an 18-wheeler in April 2019 when he crashed into more than two dozen stopped vehicles and four semitrailers on Interstate 70 in Lakewood, Colorado.

The aftermath was swift

There is so much more
Here

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I remember this crash. I have a friend who lives right near where it happened.

Not sure I understand why people would be sticking up for this particular trucker, he was driving like an idiot, even before the crash. If memory serves me correctly he wasn't even properly licensed either (can't remember what the exact issue was though). The crash caused a massive traffic tie up in the Denver metro area for nearly a week.

Screw that trucker!

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It says he also did not use the runaway truck ramp prior to the accident.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Did you just link TikTok as a source?
What ever happened to writing actual articles?

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

His brakes likely weren't completely out, but hot and suffering fade. I know that area well and I've driven it thousands of times. (I've also driven tractor trailers hauling heavy equipment earlier in my life). There are big flashing signs all over the place coming down that hill saying things like..."TRUCKERS, YOU ARE NOT DOWN YET! USE LOW GEAR."..."STEEP GRADE AHEAD. USE LOW GEAR."

Right at the bottom of the hill the highway curves to the left and traffic backs up right there. I've had to stand on my brakes a few times right there just from a split second of inattention, and that was in a car or pickup. There was no excuse for this guy to be going as fast as he was! The "no brakes" excuse is BS! If he would have been in low gear he wouldn't have even needed his damn brakes!

edit on 12/17/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I know the exact spot, I've been there a few times. It's the same kind of grade coming out of the pass in the Sierra's towards Reno, i.e. a bad one.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Did you just link TikTok as a source?
What ever happened to writing actual articles?

As you can see I added different sources. The news link, the youtube link and the tiktok link.
The TikTok shows more of the reaction of the truckers protesting.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I dont think anyone is questioning guilt but 110 years seems a bit much.

Were any of the company execs jailed too?

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   

."TRUCKERS, YOU ARE NOT DOWN YET! USE LOW GEAR."..."STEEP GRADE AHEAD. USE LOW GEAR."

Tennessee has a couple of spots like that. It always makes me nervous, there are off ramps for "runaway" trucks that look equally as scary.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Aside from the fact it's a minimum sentence, did you see the wreckage? It's a miracle 50 people didn't die in that crash!! There must have been about two dozen cars burned to the ground. It took like 8-9 hours just to get the fires out. You could see the smoke from the crash for thirty miles in every direction.

Sentence is too much? Okay, how about 55 years (or 50%); would that be acceptable? It's all academic anyway. I'm pretty confident that zero years would have been too many for the people who are objecting. AND...what if he hadn't been Latino, but white instead...would 110 years have been okay then??? I'm betting it would be. In fact, people would probably be burning s# down if the sentence wasn't 500 years!

Company execs weren't driving the truck, he was.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Ripped on this one. This is similar to what happened to us/my family just that we were waiting alone in front of a rail crossing to open in a valley with a steep road and a curve behind us. The druck driver was sentenced on manslaughter by serious neglect in three cases and grievous bodily harm by serious neglect to 18 years of prison. I was not there in court but I read it in the newspaper and they quoted his "last word of defense" that was he will never forgive himself for what happened because of him.

It took me years to internally be able to forgive the man. Could not word it out to him because I have no idea where to find and it's not really something I pursue. He should be out of prison by now, will never drive a truck again and is brandmarked as a convicted, killed two adults and a kid.

No one stands up in the morning and says like "What a great day to kill a few people by neglect, and it's only so much years to sit, let's neglect the hell out of this day" though.

I would reserve such punishment for crimes done by intent. Some mourning family members probably want to see him hang from a bridge and I can understand that too, but never support.

110 years is too much IMHO. Him sitting until he dies will not bring back the dead. Having killed four people will forever burden a healthy soul. I know a lot will disagree with me on this and may like to see him parted through horses.

My opinion is worthless though, as it's not my country. It's just that, my reflected opinion.
edit on 17.12.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: no one... not "now one"

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Hooray just what we needed- more supply disruption~
Hip Hip Hooray!

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   

The reply by Flyingclaydisk sums it up.
edit on 17-12-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

The only drivers boycotting anything are owner operators, and only a tiny fraction of them will. The major company drivers CAN'T boycott, or they'll just replace them with other drivers, and screw them on their DAC. There won't be any more boycott than there were strikes in the last few years.
edit on 12/17/2021 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

+1
judge said sentence guidelines mandated the 110 years.
maybe the governor can commute

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I agree Duck.

Hubby is a gas hauler, and has over 5 million accident free miles under his belt. About 30 years ago, he drove his truck into a cement barricade to avoid an accident. He still wakes up in a cold sweat over “ what could have been”

There are a lot of great truckers out there, who move heaven and earth to be safe. And a few who DGAF unfortunately.

I’m sure they went through driver history, truck upkeep history, any type of violations etc.. *IF* he wasn’t an owner operator and worked for a company, most trucks have a sophisticated system and cameras that will track everything.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It says he also did not use the runaway truck ramp prior to the accident.

Really wow . I’ve never seen a runaway truck ramp on i70 in denver .

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Thenail

It’s at Mt Vernon. He passed it, and crashed five miles later.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I know the exact spot, I've been there a few times. It's the same kind of grade coming out of the pass in the Sierra's towards Reno, i.e. a bad one.

Donner. I-80. That's a bad area for almost any large vehicle.

<<   2 >>

join