It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Times athlete of the year

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We now celebrate failure. She failed, and I am not talking about not winning. She selfishly failed to recognize that she was faltering and bow out, allowing an alternate to step in before she began the competition. Once she started, she was committed. At that point, only inability like injury stops you. You do not suddenly develop serious mental issues. She had to have known they were there, and as a 24 year old gymnast, she should have been wise enough to stop before she started and left everyone scrambling.

She failed.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Bluntone22

If that is how you want to compare it, sure. However it seems that the owners and publishers of Time Magazine are also rather wealth and have risen to the tops of their profession yet here is a thread calling out their team for poor decisions. I expect that their judgement is based on their own understanding of what the public will buy and that is their profession.

They also made Jenner woman of the year.
Comic books have made superman gay..
Doesn't mean the book is going to sell a bunch of copies.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
I have the same amount she does

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I think she has like four gold medals

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I'm not trying to downplay this girls accomplishments

Girl? Hardly. She is not a child, and at 24 a grown woman. But sure, she might have resigned prior to the contests but you know what? We don't know the levels of stress involved. We don't know what caused her to lose that mental edge that it takes to do what she does. So I will leave all the judgment of her actions to others who think that they do know the true level and nature of the stresses placed upon her.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The condition she has may have been caused by a possible jar to the head resulting in some brain scarring. That can throw things off with coordination, and result in some weird thoughts. It can also be caused by altering the diet improperly which results in metabolic problems in detox being disrupted. Their diets are quite different than what they may have eaten normally. It might not be a natural occurring mental illness. Skaters can have some bad falls in practice too, just like gymnasts. which jars the brain as it swishes around inside, even some carnival rides can cause that kind of stuff. It is not just football and hockey that cause brain injuries.

It is good that she quit, her admitting there is a problem is hard to do when you got that prestigious of a life. it is better that she quit than to wind up getting worse or severely injured in a gymnast event gone wrong.

Time athlete of the year seems like a strange thing though, I would bet that other athletes get similar injuries to the brain that can add up to major issues. I am happy she realized she had to quit, and more athletes should do what she does before major problems hound them for the rest of their life. I don't think Time got that right, there should be a different award given for those who got problems from their contribution to entertaining society like that.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Oh, yeah, no, I'm being serious.

All the time we have to deal with employees calling out for "mental health days".

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I'm not trying to downplay this girls accomplishments

Girl? Hardly. She is not a child, and at 24 a grown woman. But sure, she might have resigned prior to the contests but you know what? We don't know the levels of stress involved. We don't know what caused her to lose that mental edge that it takes to do what she does. So I will leave all the judgment of her actions to others who think that they do know the true level and nature of the stresses placed upon her.

Well I said girl because when she started competition on the national stage she was 14 or 15 years old. Still a little girl.

Either way, a professional NFL player would not get the same treatment as biles. Especially dropping out of the highest level event in the sport.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: oddscreenname
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Oh, yeah, no, I'm being serious.

All the time we have to deal with employees calling out for "mental health days".

That's a common phrase today.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Ah yes, the No True Scotsman. I've been competitive on the national stage and in Power 5 level. No, it ain't Olympics, but it's pretty damn close. She. Failed.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't think it's fair to say she failed. She does have Olympic gold.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08

Doubtful, so it's obvious not everyone gets a trophy despite you feeling you deserve one.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I don't think it's fair to say she failed. She does have Olympic gold.

I am not talking about an athletic failure. Obviously she's not. I am talking about having failed in that situation. She did. The two are not mutually exclusive. What I take exception to is that she's not being rewarded for her athletic successes but for her glaring failure.
edit on 9-12-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Ok, I can see where you're coming from.
I was saying a football player would be chastised for doing what she did, not rewarded.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I am not talking about an athletic failure. Obviously she's not. I am talking about having failed in that situation. She did. The two are not mutually exclusive. What I take exception to is that she's not being rewarded for her athletic successes but for her glaring failure.

Maybe her failing in that situation was a win for so many people. Maybe saying, I’ve just had enough, pushing myself beyond the point of insanity isn’t OK, it’s OK to say you’re not OK, that you need help, rest, food, to get stronger, clearer, better, and a thousand other things.

I’m tired of seeing these wrecked athletes all for what? A few moments of fame for our amusement?
Maybe what she is teaching everyone, especially young girls is so much more!

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   

In this extremely racist era against non-blacks, Time could never give it to an Asian woman, never mind a white guy
edit on 9-12-2021 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:14 PM
link   

And maybe you haven't read what I have been saying. I don't disagree that if she wasn't mentally sound she should be forced to go. Obviously you don't go.

My beef is that she is an extremely experienced athlete who knew herself and that level of competition. She knew before the all around began that she was mentally unfit and she stepped onto the floor anyhow. THAT is a failure of epic proportion because when she quit in the middle of that competition, she didn't just affect herself, she affected the entire all-around team and their performances.

The time to bow out is BEFORE you start unless you have zero choice (injury). Those are the stakes, and they all know it going in.

You do not reward her for a failure of judgment that may have sunk the entire team.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Quitter for Athlete of the Year. Clearly the award is now a joke.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:19 PM
link   

So teaching them that it's OK to just bail on your team during a competition is OK?

You want to bail? Bail before you get into a competition, or you compete at something where the only person you let down is you. I had less issue with her bailing on the individual competitions, for example, because *she* was the only one losing out there (aside from the girl who could have made the team had she not attempted to qualify in the first place).

Look at it this way. When I was running, I was a solid 30 points for my team in all-around competition. They counted on me to take 3 first places, and they counted on me to anchor a relay that almost always won.

My sophomore year, we won every single track meet as a team up until the state track meet. Here I am, anchoring the last relay of the day. I am literally the very last person for my team who will compete all year. And the situation came down to this: our relay had to win the state meet in order to post enough points for our team to win the state meet in order for our team to keep our undefeated season as a team.

We were running against another team whose time as neck and neck with ours.

If I decide that I cannot run that leg, be that person, shoulder all that pressure, when is the time for me to bow out of that race? Is it ... after the first runner takes off out of the blocks or before we even start warming up? Obviously, no time is a good one for me to bow out, but if I must, it sure as heck isn't in the middle of the race when everyone is scrambling and my teammates are caught blindsided without the anchor they are used to and depend on having there.

That is essentially what Simone Biles did.

For what it's worth, I didn't bail. The last leg was a neck and neck shootout the whole lap, and I barely took it with the lean for the win. We kept our season, and that's the closest to an athletic hero I've ever been.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join