It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Try to Build or Remodel anything lately $$$$

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I'm done, just done.

Our powder room faucet gave out. It was old and needed replacing. I got a great faucet for a good price.
It did not fit well into the counter. (Don't you love how one thing ALWAYS leads to more remodeling?)
I never liked the vanity in that room so I thought now was a good time to replace everything...

WRONG..

Went to three hardware stores. Found out real quick we aren't changing the vanity.
The stores either had horrible cheap bottom of the line vanities, some of them looked like they were one notch above cardboard.
The ones that were middle of the road were all sold out.
Then there were some that were just normal but priced in the over 1K range... for a powder room vanity.
Keep in mind I would spend that if I thought it was actually worth it or would last. nope!

Now for the building part. I want to put a room on the back of our house apx 20x20, ONE SINGLE ROOM onto the back of our house, nothing fancy...
the quote we got... wait for it, ....................................
wait for it.....................
wait for it.....................

$160,000😲

edit on 21-11-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We were planning to completely renovate our current house during the summer of 2020. Now it looks like it will never happen. Contractors are backlogged, and everything costs more. If we had had it done in the summer of 2020, it would have been worth our while, but we are moving to Japan once our dogs die, and they are both already 11. They will likely live to be around 16 or so, but with each passing year, the value of renovating this house lessens for us. I'll still get much more for this house than we paid for it, without any renovations, and the renovations wouldn't change the sale price that much. I am starting to lean towards the renovation money being better used towards our future in Japan.

Thanks for starting this thread. I needed to get that semi-rant out. 

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I am still waiting on a panel cover I ordered over three months ago. I spent days just a local supplier that located a 100 amp sub panel and not all of it is in yet to finish the project.

The wait on one type of breaker is over a year from the factory. I went with another brand.

Prices are way up but delivery itime is worse.
edit on 11 21 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Replaced the kitchen light yesterday. It went pop but was still in warranty so the store I got it from replaced it.

Yeah, live on the edge, don't I.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   
ia reply to: JAGStorm

I am surprised more people are not speaking out..my son is in renovations and finding it harder and harder to find supplies. He has to include in his quotes that the quoted price is subject to change due to the volitility of the current market. He has had to wait extended times to fulfil his commitments and increase the bottom line so he does not lose money.

The other side is new home builds. Builders are leaving the end cost open and allowing purchasers the option to cancel their purchase after the factor of end costs are finalized..someone else will pick up the end cost which could be several hundred thousand above the original quote...For example in my area, condos or town homes have gove in a matter of 12 months from $499,000 to over $629,000...It is now beyone belief.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   

new countertop - sink and faucet plus a full tile backsplash in the kitchen 5000ish . Whoever built the house went plug crazy and we wanted to get rid of some of the sockets . Got a quote of 3500 from an electrical contractor and one for 3000 and would have had to wait an extra 3 months . Needless to say we made all the existing plugs look better

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21

For example in my area, condos or town homes have gove in a matter of 12 months from $499,000 to over $629,000...It is now beyone belief.

That has happened here too and it is VERY sad. People have poured their heart, soul, sweat/tears/blood into these new homes and then find out they can't afford them...

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   

First!
No.

Second!

$160,000😲

My guy wanted $68,000 for a 20X18 cinder block with 2 beams and a cement deck right out my back door (not that door😈). A whole new room with a deck on top. And I thought that was a bit much. Don't forget about the flexible 15% adjustment when supplies are purchased.

BUT.

edit on 21-11-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: 10uoutlaw

Whoever built the house went plug crazy

Our house is so dumb like that.
In the kitchen we have 626 plugs in every inconvenient space, but in our main hallway..................... ZERO.

As in ZERO, not a single freaking outlet.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:38 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:40 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

My guy wanted $68,000 for a 20X18 cinder block with 2 beams and a cement deck right out my back door (not that door😈). A whole new room with a deck on top. And I thought that was a bit much. Don't forget about the flexible 15% adjustment when supplies are purchased.

I think that is a steal, but do you think that would be the actual end cost?

The guy that gave me the quote broke down every bit and told me the costs and timelines. He has been doing this for a long time and well known in the industry. He told me to wait a year or so.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I just remodeled our bathroom for less than $ 1000. That's new drywall, tape, mud, new sink and medicine cabinet, toilet plus new light fixtures. My wife is a careful shopper and got an oak vanity for cheap.

I worked in the coal mines and then went into construction, so I know how to do this and DIY is pretty easy when you get used to it.

I recommend this guy for DIY. You CAN do it and save yourself loads of money.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You CAN do it and save yourself loads of money.

I am doing this!!! by I, I mean my husband.

The problem is the materials! It's crazy. I'll admit, I'm a little bougie and like things on the finer side. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Here is a perfect example, I looked at this yesterday. It looked like crap

www.lowes.com...
$952.99

There are some that are more middle of the road, around 500ish, but they were built soooooo cheap. I really believe if they get wet they will fall apart.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Summer of last year I did a metal roof. $4500
Fall last year I removed a fireplace and installed a wood burner with tile surround… $1500
New seamless gutters..$1300 “contractor installed”
Spring this year ordered windows and got them in late July….ugh… $2800
Working on new siding after the windows arrived….$2000
New wood awning with Stella roof…24’ x 12’…. $1200

I did/doing all the work myself.
I would guess those prices would more than double with a contractor and then add on the labor….wow.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You should be patting yourself on the back, those prices are outstanding! Especially the windows.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 03:02 PM
link   

That was 11 windows from Menards.
We’ve had some cold windy days and they seem to keep out the cold.

We have a kitchen and five very large windows that I will replace next year so that number isn’t the whole story.

When you do it all yourself and have a full time job it’s baby steps.
And a wife that can’t make up her damn mind….lol

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Have you checked with the local Better Business Bureau on their ratings? My sister checked through them and I looked through Angie's list really.

If he showed you how they break it down, you would have seen the proof of no B S. Ask around there if anyone has experience with him.

I'll be honest, I called 5-7 contractors after looking through local sites like yelp, google..... A guy. Google maps has a comment section on businesses, look them up on there too.

You're right it is a steal and he has been paid before he comes back for the adjustments. He has an office about a mile from me, he has stated to my sister and I that if there a problem "We Know Where To Find Him"

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Did I just check someone's Social Credit Score😮😮

Google maps has a comment section on businesses, look them up on there too.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I remember someone talking about collecting antique furniture and thought it might have been you. Can't remember but I've seen some pictures of amazing vanities built with smaller antiques, like sideboards, dressers with a nice sink put in or on them. Could be unique and often they are just a couple hundred bucks and in excellent condition. Depends on the look desired.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join