It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rittenhouse Charged With Possession of a Weapon by a Minor, Yet He's Charged as an Adult.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I've been following the Rittenhouse threads. One thing struck me as odd. Some posters are practically freaking out over him carrying a weapon even though he wasn't 18. "He's guilty because he isn't old enough to carry a weapon!", is pretty much it. There's some gray areas in Wisconsin's gun laws when it comes to that.

What gets me is that the same people who are screaming that "he's a Minor", have said nothing about his being tried as an ADULT. To me that's interesting. Which is he, a Minor or an Adult? Talk about a "double standard".

Earlier this year a Superior Court Judge ruled that requiring a person to be 21 before owning certain types of weapons as being unconstitutional. It was taken to the Supreme Court, which refused to hear the case because the people bringing the case had turned 21 before it got to the Supreme Court.

I've seen posts on ATS that claim that the brain isn't fully developed until around age 25. I've also seen posts stating that children at ages of 8 or 9 should be able to make decisions about their Gender. Then we have the 13 year olds who can get an abortion without parental consent.

At the other end of the spectrum, people claim that people are not responsible enough to consume alcohol or do drugs until age 21.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. And while it is still on my mind, I was old enough to enter the Navy at 17 and to be shot at when I was 18.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
I've been following the Rittenhouse threads. One thing struck me as odd. Some posters are practically freaking out over him carrying a weapon even though he wasn't 18. "He's guilty because he isn't old enough to carry a weapon!", is pretty much it. There's some gray areas in Wisconsin's gun laws when it comes to that.

What gets me is that the same people who are screaming that "he's a Minor", have said nothing about his being tried as an ADULT. To me that's interesting. Which is he, a Minor or an Adult? Talk about a "double standard".

Earlier this year a Superior Court Judge ruled that requiring a person to be 21 before owning certain types of weapons as being unconstitutional. It was taken to the Supreme Court, which refused to hear the case because the people bringing the case had turned 21 before it got to the Supreme Court.

I've seen posts on ATS that claim that the brain isn't fully developed until around age 25. I've also seen posts stating that children at ages of 8 or 9 should be able to make decisions about their Gender. Then we have the 13 year olds who can get an abortion without parental consent.

At the other end of the spectrum, people claim that people are not responsible enough to consume alcohol or do drugs until age 21.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. And while it is still on my mind, I was old enough to enter the Navy at 17 and to be shot at when I was 18.

The law isn't known for being consistent.

There are some things people can certainly do that make them an adult, but others where more maturity an age would be required.

I don't think any 13 year old should be making medical decisions, including abortions without the consent of a parent.

18 year olds are certainly mature enough to go into the military and war. However, the typical 18 year old probably isn't mature enough to be drinking. It just really depends.

Car rental companies for the longest time would not rent to folks under 25 as we know many aren't that mature. However, I could rent cars at 22 as I had a corporate job that required me to travel and I needed rental cars.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

The law isn't known for being consistent.

There are some things people can certainly do that make them an adult, but others where more maturity an age would be required.

I don't think any 13 year old should be making medical decisions, including abortions without the consent of a parent.

18 year olds are certainly mature enough to go into the military and war. However, the typical 18 year old probably isn't mature enough to be drinking. It just really depends.

Car rental companies for the longest time would not rent to folks under 25 as we know many aren't that mature. However, I could rent cars at 22 as I had a corporate job that required me to travel and I needed rental cars.

I know. If I was the Judge, I'd move the trial to Juvenile Court, just to watch some people's blood pressure spray out their ears.

I was a Second Class Petty Officer in the Navy, in charge of ten guys and responsible for six helicopters two months before I turned 21, yet the State of Pennsylvania said I wasn't responsible enough for a beer.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Well when you consider had this exact event happened before social media, Rittenhouse would have appeared before a judge and been sent home...
But then again nobody would have ever heard of George Floyd then either.

Honestly none of the possible charges really matter except for the ones where he shot the weapon.
It was clearly self defense so the prosecutor is just trying to muddy the water with irrelevant charges.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Alcohol consumption has nothing to do with responsibility at a certain age. Alcohol has an adverse effect on a body that is not fully matured, especially the brain.

I thought everyone knew that.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Alcohol consumption has nothing to do with responsibility at a certain age. Alcohol has an adverse effect on a body that is not fully matured, especially the brain.

Exactly.
Which is why a pre teen with a not fully matured brain shouldn't be making gender choices.

That and most European countries allow drinking before 21.
Most at 18. I guess euro brains are mature faster

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I think this is the best result for everyone involved.

He doesn't walk away scot-free, but doesn't have his life ruined in the process.

I believe that charge is a misdemeanor.

At the end of the day, he decided to bring a firearm to an event he knew would be a heated environment. It's not like he was defending his house or even home town.

They had to make the decision early on to charge him as an adult, so that wouldn't have changed just because some of the charges were dropped.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Which is why a pre teen with a not fully matured brain shouldn't be making gender choices

I think there are more disturbing issues in some areas of The U.S. such as this.

Massachusetts: Age of consent to marry with parental consent for males is 14; for females is 12

worldpopulationreview.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Exactly.
Which is why a pre teen with a not fully matured brain shouldn't be making gender choices.

That and most European countries allow drinking before 21.
Most at 18. I guess euro brains are mature faster

Many European Countries have NO age limit. Younger people are REQUIRED to have a parent or adult with them.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I think this is the best result for everyone involved.

He doesn't walk away scot-free, but doesn't have his life ruined in the process.

I believe that charge is a misdemeanor.

At the end of the day, he decided to bring a firearm to an event he knew would be a heated environment. It's not like he was defending his house or even home town.

They had to make the decision early on to charge him as an adult, so that wouldn't have changed just because some of the charges were dropped.

Wrong. He was in a public location. His having the weapon is a legal gray area. HE WAS DEFENDING HIMSELF. The only charge I'd support would be the curfew violation.

One of the people that he shot was a convicted felon, who wasn't allowed to have the pistol that HE was carrying. Where's his charges?

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I love the argument being made against this kid.

"He shouldn't have been there!"

Well neither should the guys he shot.

"He was there looking for trouble!"

Well so were the guys he shot.
edit on 2-11-2021 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Liberal logic.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   

That's why all those European countries with legal drinking ages of 18 years old (down to 16 in many locations) are widely known to be paste eating morons? Oh, wait... no, they're not.

The "developing brain" excuse is 100% bullsht.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Actually that has never been proven. The human body produces ethyl alcohol internally. The issue of brain development has never been proven either.

There are many things that have never been proven, but, are used to justify things.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Wrong. He was in a public location. His having the weapon is a legal gray area. HE WAS DEFENDING HIMSELF. The only charge I'd support would be the curfew violation.

It's probably a legal gray area because even in states where possession is limited to age you can take a kid shooting.

But when you're out on your own with a firearm it may look a bit different (though even here there can be different rules for hunting).

Like a lot of English law it comes down to intent. So why did the person in question have the fire arm. If it's a gray area and you take a firearm to a protest, I doubt you're going to get the benefit of doubt in such an obscure situation.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Is bringing a gun to a heated environment a good idea for someone who isn't an adult? No.

So I think stating that was a bad decision is just stating the obvious. I don't think he should be charged with murder, but giving him a misdemeanor all things considered doesn't seem unfair.

He made some decisions, and all things considered, his life isn't ruined.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Actually that has never been proven. The human body produces ethyl alcohol internally. The issue of brain development has never been proven either.

There are many things that have never been proven, but, are used to justify things.

An issue you need to take up with your government.

Research shows that young people’s brains keep developing well into their 20s. Alcohol can alter this development, potentially affecting both brain structure and function. This may cause cognitive or learning problems and/or make the brain more prone to alcohol dependence. This is especially a risk when people start drinking young and drink heavily.

teens.drugabuse.gov...-3

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Maybe that's the best outcome but nobody gets a trial by jury for a misdemeanor charge.

The one guy shot was a convicted felon in the act of commiting another felony.
The other was using a skateboard to beat a man.

Murder charges are bull#.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I remember being 18 years old in the Navy.
The only place I could drink alcohol was at the EM club and that was limited to beer which was 3.2% ABV.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Not trying to derail or anything, but it is something we should take up with our government. All of the "scare the crap out of the kids" stuff doesn't work and never has. Heck I'm fairly sure everyone in my age group went through the D.A.R.E. program and I hate to say it, it didn't really remove my curiosity. Even when it comes to sexual education in this country "scare the crap out of the kids" is the mantra.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join