It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge asteroid almost hit earth NASA didn’t detect it until a day later

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: gb540
Not apologizing for NASA on this one. But...

If they would find a fairly good sized one, with 100% chance of impact and a day or two notice, then what? Issue everybody umbrellas?

Until we have the ability to play solar billiards and win, probably best we didn't know ahead of time.

No. NASA would tell everyone that now is the time to hurry and get vaccinated

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: imitator

originally posted by: Faeded
This is my first thread ever so here we go...
giant asteroid almost hit earth on September 16, but because it came from the direction of the sun, scientists missed it

That was about the same time something hit Jupiter... Sept. 15-16
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seems we are being bombarded very much lately
Here is another one in April, sure to be many more coming!
This asteroid is not the only one to come close to the Earth. An asteroid known as 2021 GW4 was 12,000 miles away from the Earth's surface, traveling 18,700 mph in April.

I have noticed an increase in large meteoroids this year, maybe because of more cameras... or could it be something bigger?

I think we are overdue for a mass extinction event, 2021-22 seems to be heading that way. ☠️

check this out: www.amsmeteors.org...

The AMS received more than 40 reports so far about a fireball event that occurred west of Denver, CO on October 2nd, 2021 around 4:34 AM CDT (10:34 Universal Time). The AMS #2021-6226 event was mainly seen from Colorado but we also received reports from Wyoming and New Mexico.

October 3rd, 2021.
compilation of the 6 videos/more than 40 reports

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kreeate

Don’t forget the composition of the impactor.

An iron meteorite will have a significantly larger effect than that of a stony object of the same size, speed and trajectory

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: gb540

Until we have the ability to play solar billiards and win, probably best we didn't know ahead of time.

Speak for yourself. I want to know ahead of time so I can sit on my patio and watch humanity go out with a bang. It's a lot better than going out with a whimper, which is where we're heading now.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kreeate

a reply to: Kreeate

For the record, I know that is directly from the article, which makes me wonder about many, many things.

Like what?

Like what kind of person penned the article for instance? For something that could be considered significant news, one would think that the article would be proof-read before being published at the very least. Perhaps I'm being pedantic. Either way, you explained and clarified in your quote from a more concise source, so thank you kindly for that.

Considering the "journalism" of today everywhere and the "education" system of the pas 2 decades i am far from surprised.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Faeded

I’ve been to chicago and philly.
Near misses from flying objects are a daily occurrence.

But seriously.
I would gamble that we’ve had some near misses that nobody ever noticed.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Historically there have been meteorites that hit the Earth that were kilometers wide (and long) with little to no effect.*

A meteorite that is mere meters wide (and long) and that passed the Earth at a distance of about 193 000 kilometers is hardly a threat.

*Hitting a city directly will of course have significant impact. No pun intended.

Lol. It takes couple of beers to type such a thing. 😀 A quick search told me something about million megaton TNT equivalent for one mile wide rock. But yeah, screw it. Earthquakes and volcanoes can release epic amounts of energy too.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Historically there have been meteorites that hit the Earth that were kilometers wide (and long) with little to no effect.*

A meteorite that is mere meters wide (and long) and that passed the Earth at a distance of about 193 000 kilometers is hardly a threat.

*Hitting a city directly will of course have significant impact. No pun intended.

? I thought the Chelyabinsk meteor did a little damage

Asteroid 2021 SG has an estimated diameter of between 42 – 94 meters (138-308 feet). Its average diameter is 68 meters (223 feet). That’s in contrast to 17 meters for the Chelyabinsk meteorbefore it entered Earth’s atmosphere.

Well technically the Chelyabinsk meteor did no damage to the planet. It did not even leave a crater. It did damage some buildings and inconvenience many people but we are talking astronomical scale here. Now this is a little damage caused by a small meteor. en.m.wikipedia.org...Link
edit on 10 5 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: gb540
Not apologizing for NASA on this one. But...

If they would find a fairly good sized one, with 100% chance of impact and a day or two notice, then what? Issue everybody umbrellas?

No. NASA would tell everyone that now is the time to hurry and get vaccinated

And, after it hit, the CDC would categorize every injury and fatality as covid!

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Or they may tell us it’s just a rock.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Faeded

I know you're not being literal but in the vacuum of space there is no noise, hence asteroids and meteoroids are silent. If they enter the atmosphere the vibration of gases and air would then cause soundwaves but at that point it would be re-classified as a meteor, again if it hit the ground it would also propagate soundwaves but at that point it would be a meteorite.

I believe the root of the words come from ancient Greek, Aster meaning 'Star', Asteroeides meaning 'Star-like'. However once something becomes atmospheric it's etymologically re-classified from the Greek word meteoron which refers to any atmospheric phenomenon, hence we use the word meteorology for the study of weather.

Not that you cared, just spreading the knowledge.

If you ever hear the sound of a meteor 'whoosh' i'd suggest you duck, cover and kiss your ass goodbye.

edit on 5/10/21 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 03:32 AM
link   
NASA just announced a mission to deflect an asteroid, and one the size of big Ben is meant to pass by next week too.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 04:38 AM
link   
NASA publishes the NEO (Near Earth Asteroid) lists continuously. It can be found here: NEO Database

The only ones that should concern any of us are the ones that pass below .25 LD, which is 62,500 miles. Even then, the odds of hitting us are astronomically minuscule (pun intended) To make the list, the orbits are usually calculated precisely as possible, are usually less than 1AU (Earth-Sun Distance) at closest approach, and most never get closer than 5 LD.

Asteroids do not veer off course unless they hit something or come close to huge gravitational sources, which are very unlikely in the times and distances they are on the list.

For close encounters, the dangers come from Composition, Size, Velocity and Trajectory.

The most dangerous are Irons, as they can blast through the atmosphere without detonating or losing mass. Stony Irons/ Chondrites , even the huge one's, usually detonate in the upper atmosphere due to heat and friction, especially if they have low trajectories.

The worst cases for any type is medium and above size with super velocity, coming in at a zenith trajectory (perpendicular to Earth surface, 90 degree overhead).

Those make big holes on land and Tsunami on water.

There are of course, the exceptions - Unusual compositions, sizes, speeds and trajectories that do not follow the "rules"... many of our extinction events on this Earth are members of this category as well.

edit on 6-10-2021 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

As all meteors are traveling many times the speed of sound, if you hear one you are safe. If it hits the ground near you, you will be hit by the shock wave before hearing it. You might notice the flash if you are far enough away before the shock wave.

For your information, the technical term for those rocks while they are in space is meteoroid. Only the very big ones are asteroids.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

From my original post: "hence asteroids and meteoroids are silent"

The object in question is an asteroid.

I'm pretty sure it depends on the size, shape, tilt, angle of entry etc. These factors effecting atmospheric velocity could well slow a meteor to below the speed of sound during entry. Also shockwave is referring to how the wave structure was generated, trust me when the wave hits you it makes a sound. Technically a soundwave is just vibration of gases that you perceive as sound. Unless of course you're suggesting shockwaves are silent?

Also i used the distinction clearly in the first paragraph as generating soundwaves, later i used the word sound. Moving faster than the local speed of sound using the object as a frame of reference does not render the wave silent.

However, if you're still in any doubt that it's possible to hear a meteor 'whoosh' you can also research electrophonics and VLF sounds.

earthsky.org...

www.livescience.com...

My comment about the 'whoosh' was a joke. If the sound/shockwave hits you before the object has impacted the ground chances are it's pretty close.
edit on 6/10/21 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 03:09 PM
link   

There are many possibilities of a meteor entry.

The shooting star. It burns up in the high atmosphere with on impact. Silent.

The fire ball. It burns up in the upper atmosphere with an unusually bright flash as bright as the full moon and sometimes as bright as day. I have actually seen one of these rare ones. Silent

The meteor that lands as a meteorite. It partly burns up in the atmosphere but is so small that atmospheric drag slowed it down to normal terminal velocity when it hits the ground. Less than 300 miles per hour. Most of these are also silent. A few people, two or three I think, have been hit by these.

The meteor that makes a creator. It slightly burns up in the atmosphere but is so big and of the kind of material that is tougher to burn up. It hits the ground at many times the speed of sound. This one is always very loud. If you are close to the impact, you will not hear it because the shock wave and material will kill you before your brain registers the sensations you are experiencing.

Farther away, you might see a flash and possibly the blast on the ground. You then see what looks like a wave in the air and land coming toward you. This is the shock wave. You won’t hear this if it hits you strong enough because again you will be dead.

Even farther out, you might see the flash and the blast of impact. If you are lucky enough to see this and be far enough away. Yes indeed you will hear the sound at the same time as the shock wave hits you. You might get ruptured ear drums and internal injuries from the shock wave. You have a chance of surviving.

If you are even farther away. You might notice the flash but are too far away from the impact to see the ground blast. You will hear the sound many seconds after the impact.

If the meteor is large enough to make a creator but just enters the atmosphere and has enough energy to keep going back into space, you will hear a sonic boom.

Yes the sound wave and the shock wave are the same thing. The both waves loose energy and weaken with distance but it still is the same speed. If the shock wave kills you, you have heard nothing.

All the above distances are variable from the point of impact because the speed, size, material, angle, and other factors very by each incident.

Again why time you actually hear a meteor, there is almost no chance of you actually being injured much less killed by it. Any sound heard is after the danger is over. Much like a rifle shot from a mile away, the target is hit before the sound gets there.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 03:35 PM
link   

You pretty much just agreed with everything i said.

Everything except this:

"However, if you're still in any doubt that it's possible to hear a meteor 'whoosh' you can also research electrophonics and VLF sounds."

You could very well hear a meteor overhead even when it's travelling at supersonic speeds.

earthsky.org...

www.livescience.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   
i think the object that finally hits us with catastrophic results will be one that we don't see coming until the very last minute, so to speak.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

Again why time you actually hear a meteor, there is almost no chance of you actually being injured much less killed by it. Any sound heard is after the danger is over. Much like a rifle shot from a mile away, the target is hit before the sound gets there.

Totally dependant on trajectory. As a quick example without cracking out the calculator, If a meteor passed 1 mile above your head at double the speed of sound but its impact was laterally 20 miles away the sound would reach you in less than 5 seconds and continue all the way to impact which would be over 30 seconds later.

Your example is an object travelling toward an observer faster than the speed of sound. The opposite is just as likely when you're talking about meteors.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Not all meteor reach the earth sometimes they come in at a flat angle and bounce along the top of atmosphere, like a stone skimming the surface of a lake

Here is example filmed in 1972 at Grand Teton National Park -known as Great Western Bolide

www.youtube.com...

<< 1    3 >>

join