It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are all the dragons ???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I have never posted on this topic before, because I have never even had the slightest inquisition as to where or when dragons where on the earth. Then the other night a thought hit me. Could dragons posibly come from the earths core. Where it is the hottest ?? If so, could they have swam up from under the ocean ??? Could all the dragons left be sitting below the crust of the earth doing whatever it is they are doing? Can they breathe under water even maybe ??
Has anyone ever been to the center of the earth ?? Why not ?
Has anyone been to the deepest part of the ocean ?? why ?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
An interesting question. I think we really know so little of the true nature of organic life. Maybe I will buy a horse, sword and armour. Dragon slaying sounds like a thrill a minute and they write great stories about you too. Why is the dragon legend so persistent and universal. The theory of a Hollow or at least partially hollow earth might explain a lot of things if ever it could be accessed and explored. Meanwhile we have a pathetic little robot trundling around on Mars and sending back pictures of rocks for a bit until it a) gets hit by a camera shy rock b) the batteries run out c) it gets run over by a martian 18 wheeler. Why bother when so much of the earth is unknown.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bet555
Has anyone ever been to the center of the earth ?? Why not ?
Has anyone been to the deepest part of the ocean ?? why ?

Um...because the pressure would kill them. Final answer!

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Even Dragons ???? I thought that dragons .. were made up of ... An Exoskeleton ... that was pretty much undestructible ??? Except at thier weak points ... Hence the reason they went into hiding. When they are flying is when us humas learned how to kill them. They open up ther wings ... and there ya go... you have thier chest. But when they were swimming ... thier wings would wrap around thier body creating a nice little preasurized sit if you will .... ... Yeah yeah I know ... none of you have ever seen them ... but ... Noone can say ... I have been there and ... Blah ..

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Has anyone ever been to the center of the earth ??

Nope

Why not ?

Multiple reasons. For one it would theoretically get too hot. As you approach a core that is believed to be molten rock, it would get pretty toasty. Would play hell on any person or machinery that got close. Also just the sheer idea of digging so far would be difficult. You can't simply drill down. Whenever you make a hole, the matter that you replace (read this as big heavy rock) has to go somewhere. Assuming you don't want to plug the hole behind you, it would need to be transported back to the surface which abviously gets harder and harder as you go down.

As for the speculation of whether dragons could live in the core of the Earth...Assuming the core of the Earth is actually molten, which is not a very big leap of faith, then from what we know of biology, no, dragons could not live there. Organic life would not be able to exist at those extreme temperatures. Please no one respond by citing thermophylic bacteria on the volcanic ocean vents. These vents are nothing close to the temperature of being submersed in magma and a bacteria is no where near a dragon anyway.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Um...because the pressure would kill them. Final answer!

Well I dont imagine that we are working under the assumption that people are just going to stroll down there in their sunday best and poke around looking for dragon eggs. Maybe probes or scanners could be developed to research this interesting topic.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesBlonde
An interesting question. I think we really know so little of the true nature of organic life. Maybe I will buy a horse, sword and armour. Dragon slaying sounds like a thrill a minute and they write great stories about you too. Why is the dragon legend so persistent and universal. The theory of a Hollow or at least partially hollow earth might explain a lot of things if ever it could be accessed and explored. Meanwhile we have a pathetic little robot trundling around on Mars and sending back pictures of rocks for a bit until it a) gets hit by a camera shy rock b) the batteries run out c) it gets run over by a martian 18 wheeler. Why bother when so much of the earth is unknown.

Someone that finally is open minded ... thanks ... I mean I don't belive in dragons myself. But who is to say that they are not in the earth ??? Who knows ... We know that thier are pockets in the earths crust filled with liquids such as petroleums and such natural gases. Who is to say underneath that one layer of hard crust that we have never been able to get through because of the Pressure in the inside or whatever the reason. What if ... What if.... What if .....

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by contraa

Multiple reasons. For one it would theoretically get too hot. As you approach a core that is believed to be molten rock, it would get pretty toasty. Would play hell on any person or machinery that got close. Also just the sheer idea of digging so far would be difficult. You can't simply drill down. Whenever you make a hole, the matter that you replace (read this as big heavy rock) has to go somewhere. Assuming you don't want to plug the hole behind you, it would need to be transported back to the surface which abviously gets harder and harder as you go down.

As for the speculation of whether dragons could live in the core of the Earth...Assuming the core of the Earth is actually molten, which is not a very big leap of faith, then from what we know of biology, no, dragons could not live there. Organic life would not be able to exist at those extreme temperatures. Please no one respond by citing thermophylic bacteria on the volcanic ocean vents. These vents are nothing close to the temperature of being submersed in magma and a bacteria is no where near a dragon anyway.

Is it so far outside the box to think that there was once something that lived on this earth that was a type of skin that could withstand heat. I mean come on guys all througout history people have written about them breathing FIRE. BREATHING FIRE ... Let me say that one more time these things CAN BREATHE FIRE. Do you think that being IN FIRE IS ANY Difference ???? Personally I know if I could breathe water out of my mouth I promise I would never DROWN .... Just a thought ...

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Does everyone agree that dragons could live below our surface of our earths crust. Other than, physical capabilities that thier Exoskeleton could not handle the preasure of fire. These things would breathe fire ... so I am not sure how anyoen could conclude something that breathes fire cannot withstand heat ??? Not sure ... also ... do you knwo how big these things have to be they have to be prehistoric. the dinosaurs weren't little as I remember ... But maybe that is what we have so wrong .. over the years maybe these stories and size of drawings got past down wrong. Has anyone seen Pitch black when all those birds some out and he sees them what if it was something like that .. There were a bunch of them and they ravaged the earth at one time. And now they are sleeping .. have to hibernate like a bear .. I am not sure ..

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
No Offense, But Dragons never roamed the earth. THey were dino Fossils which people mistook for Dragons Easy mistake to make. Infact Greek Mythology seems to be based on it to. In the center of most city is greece , they had the bones of giants or something similar to a relic from a Mythological character.

They have found out that these bones were also Dinosaur bones. Things like the Griffen, look almost Identical to a Tricerotops bones.

SO in theroy I imagine a made up creature could live any where it wanted to

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm not worried about the exoskeleton, if it had parts of it that could sustain that heat it wouldn't matter. EVERY part would have to resist the heat. Enzymes won't function at that heat. Molecules that should be solid become liquid. In short nothing would stick together. Any organic life would melt, big scary fire breathing dragon or not.

And as to the question, is there any difference between fire and magma? Um yes....try a couple thousand degrees.

Silly argument.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by contraa]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
You missed a great special on the Animal Planet channel a few days back, you should try and find it...

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
No Offense, But Dragons never roamed the earth. THey were dino Fossils which people mistook for Dragons Easy mistake to make. Infact Greek Mythology seems to be based on it to. In the center of most city is greece , they had the bones of giants or something similar to a relic from a Mythological character.

They have found out that these bones were also Dinosaur bones. Things like the Griffen, look almost Identical to a Tricerotops bones.

SO in theroy I imagine a made up creature could live any where it wanted to

Theory is what we are talking about right ... people over time have seen things ... But nothing on such a massive scale. That was so remotely alike. Such as Flying fire Breathing DInosaurs.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
In reality .... the dragons ... would not be able to just Breathe Fire. There would have to be mucuses ... or something that could actually burn. Obviously the dragon is not going to just breathe and it turn into fire. It would have to be at least two chemicals. One first chmical would have to be something that could keep the dragon itself from burning up. So it would have to be either two chemicals that mix then explode. The dragon itself would have to have some sort of prtection. From the fire. Hmmm ... Every element will melt away at 100,000 degrees ??? What if you were inside of a ball and you had some sort of material that does not catch fire ???? What if you took Alchohol, Endless amount of alchohol and fed the fire around the material .. besides the fact that it would be hot as fire. I believe if you kept the fire fed on the outside of the ball of material would it feed on the material itself ??? Let's say somewhere in the ocean the magma and the water comes together lets say there are imaginary vents on the bottom of the ocean and somehow live there ... .. I am not sure use your imagination for once .... if it were possible how could it be ??? Dragons breathe oxygen ??? or do they have gills ??? Maybe this is the true situation ... the dragons can stand so much heat for so long. untill they have to return to the water. We just need to get a submarine that can stand temperatures like Spaceships that go to outerspace ... They have to be able to resist some serious heat for re- entry ... Any how ... I know we have rovers on planets that are closer to the sun that we are I know that we have some materials that are in research right .. now ... That can withstand such a flame that you can't even see it at the racetracks. ... What if there is a new element in Dragons and people started using it .. that is why dragons were so precious killed all of them off wrote lots of legends. think about how we killed almost all the blue whales a while back if we can kill the largest mammal on earth to nearly distinction .. What change does a Dragon have .. ??? believe it or not are curiosity would have killed the dragon. And back then we were so ignorant we killed off many species of animal ... .Not even gong to go to the dodo bird.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 05:55 AM
link   
If you subscribe to the hollow earth theory and there would appear to be some logic to this argument then perhaps dragons have and do live there.

I would like to think so anyway.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
dragons were here with the rest of us they have just moved (due to human corruption onto another plane

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
However much I'd like to accept the existence of Dragons, as they are present in many cultures/religions (not to mention that they are cool
) they cannot exist as they are too biologically/anatomically incorrect.
If there are 6 limbed reptiles on earth, then I would support the notion of their existance, but there aren't. (that have been discovered)
And your description, Bet, makes the biology of them is even more so incorrect.

OFF TOPIC
Hey, Moonbeam, where abouts from SA are you from? I lived in East London for about the first 13 years of my life.

[edit on 25-01-2004 by Gear]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Bet call it a wild guess but I am thinking you have recently watched that dragon movie with matthew mcconaughey. Although dragons are an interesting concept, and the hollow earth theory would make life more exciting and interesting I have a hard time believing they are true. The two legends pervasiveness in almost all cultures however makes me wonder if there is not some substance to the legends.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bet555
Even Dragons ???? I thought that dragons .. were made up of ... An Exoskeleton ... that was pretty much undestructible ??? Except at thier weak points ... Hence the reason they went into hiding. When they are flying is when us humas learned how to kill them. They open up ther wings ... and there ya go... you have thier chest. But when they were swimming ... thier wings would wrap around thier body creating a nice little preasurized sit if you will .... ... Yeah yeah I know ... none of you have ever seen them ... but ... Noone can say ... I have been there and ... Blah ..

1.) undestructable isn't a word.
2.) what are humas?
3.) dragons aren't real. There is NO proof what-so-ever of their existance. except in the form of dinosaurs, but not the supernatural-type creatures you speak of.
4.) HYPOTHETICALLY if a dragon existed, and had a weak point like the one you suggest, then the pressure would just crush them from that point in... and would still kill it.
5.) you have been "there"? What're you talking about... you've been to the middle of the earth? or around dragons... because I don't believe you on either.

The pressure in the middle of the earth is about 380,000,000,000 pascal...
compare that to the standard 1 pascal of pressure at sea level.... you're talking about a pressure 380 BILLION times that of earth's atmosphere.

I will accept that perhaps creatures that looked and acted like dragons (dinosaur-like creatures) may have existed, and may still exist in remote locations such as the Amazon, but as open as my mind is, I absolutely can not accept the existance of (or past existance of) a mythical, indestructable, fire breathing creature such as the one you were speaking of. Provide me with one shred of evidence (other than legend or eye-witness accounts) and we'll talk. (I'm willing to bet your first evidence will come encased in glass... and I'll refute it instantly).

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
You missed a great special on the Animal Planet channel a few days back, you should try and find it...

Gazork that was a great special I really like the T-rex vs the prehistoric Dragon that was pretty cool.

The only problem I had with the working of Dragon anatomy was the platinum being required for the dragon fire.I mean platinum isnt exactly plentiful even with human mining techniques. So I would have to be sceptical on just how much would be exposed on the surface for dragons to eat. I much prefer the idea from a old story "Flight of the Dragons" In which the dragon had a small organ in the roof of its mouth that produce a small electrical current that provided the ignition for the hydrogen.

[edit on 27-3-2005 by ShadowXIX]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join