It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are all these New Businesses Going to Get Workers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   
We previously discussed all these restaurants that are closing because they don't have workers.

So now here's something else really weird happening in my area, several new restaurants and stores are opening up. Does that make any sense? I know that some may have had the train moving before Covid hit or as it hit but not all.
There is one that just opened about a month back. They aren't doing too hot because there aren't enough workers and supply shortages. Hard to sell things you don't have. Bad reviews all around. If it were one or two, that would be reasonable. I'm talking a lot more than that to a point where it really has me scratching my head. They aren't mom and pop restaurants or stores either. These companies do all kind of metrics and future projections... but, right now isn't it hard to predict where things are going?

So here's my questions. What is going on. Are these places just being overly optimistic hoping to tread water long enough for a good vaccine?
Is this just poor planning? Is this something else, like refugees are on the way to fill those spots?
Do you see this in your area?

I'm not talking just normal closures and openings/building like in normal times (pre 2020)

edit on 25-8-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I hear that OnlyFans is going to ban nudity. That's a lot of young women who are going to have to get real jobs.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Does the US government give any start up money for opening up these businesses? If so they could just be taking advantage of the money then run.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Are these corporate owned or franchises? I wonder if people could have invested before the over-reaction and now the are struggling to fulfill their contractual obligations.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79
Are these corporate owned or franchises? I wonder if people could have invested before the over-reaction and now the are struggling to fulfill their contractual obligations.

I think a combination of both.
We are talking Starbucks, Chicfilas, Dunkins, Kwik Trips,

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Does the US government give any start up money for opening up these businesses? If so they could just be taking advantage of the money then run.

I could see that to a point, but then to only set your business up for failure?

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Just a guess, the corporate stores are happy to take losses under the Democrats, while the future customer base will develop new habits if and when things return to normal.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed

I received a money from the SBA to help reopen my retail/wholesale shop. There were a lot of prime retail locations available. I also applied for funds from a venture capitalist, that loves mom and pop LLCs, and got that funding as well.

www.sba.gov...

My GF and 2 other paid employees run the store while I work Union gigs.

I/ we didn't have any trouble finding qualified sales people we have a great reputation for running a well paid and fun operation. Some shops aren't so lucky!!

next, considering a mobile food truck .....any suggestions for a menu? Now at the top of the list...Taco Dogs!! Home fries and chili...

Also need a Producer for my screenplay/tv series. No govt $$$ for that project!! to risky...However there is plenty of money available for startups!! Credit unions are now offering startup money for 420 agencies. Times have changed...but the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well in the US.
edit on 25-8-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

There is a worker shortage. Service is crap at most of the restaurants I've been to lately. However, entrepreneurs need to open and so are probably trying to make a go of it knowing there may be issues. Some will fail, some will survive. Just a cycle of business life.

Last year, some businesses did great, others couldn't adapt. It is what it is...

I suspect many restaurants sharpened their pencils and are figuring out how to pay more to attract workers. Quite a few raised prices to cover rising costs.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The republicans said that our country had to go back to work last spring so people would not get spoiled with all that extra unemployment funding, but Democrats said that was not going to be a problem. The Liberals were completely wrong, a lot of people do not want to go back to work after being off that long and getting paid more than they took home from working all day long.

Who could have even thought that would happen...Conservatives with common sense could see that. It has happened before in the history of our country, lots of people with families stayed off work because they were making more than the people working. They fixed that and went a little overboard actually, but brought back extra food stamps again in this pandemic and now allow them to be used in restaurants for takeout. But nobody wants to work at the restaurants anymore....complaining about having to work and of course they want way more money. We live in an area where the cost of living is lower than some places, just because they pay a person working at McDs sixteen bucks an hour in California does not mean that they need to get that wage.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

They're not banning nudity, only what they deem explicit. There are already other platforms out there for them to move over to, aside from an inconvenience of moving content and informing your audience it'll be a minor speed bump at most.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Is this something else, like refugees are on the way to fill those spots?

Ding, ding! We have a winner.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

There is a worker shortage. Service is crap at most of the restaurants I've been to lately. However, entrepreneurs need to open and so are probably trying to make a go of it knowing there may be issues. Some will fail, some will survive. Just a cycle of business life.

Normally here we don't have that many restaurants opening. I think some of the stimulus money or other incentives must have pushed some to take the plunge. Franchises must have used this lull to expand in hopes of some normalcy in the future.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmbIgn

Is this something else, like refugees are on the way to fill those spots?

Ding, ding! We have a winner.

Yay. Now I can be expected to learn Pashto, Dari and all the other 38-48 languages spoken there.... in addition to Spanish , in order to function in our new American society.

I am not kidding, it is like living in a third world country compared to what I remember as a child.
edit on b000000312021-08-25T12:47:02-05:0012America/ChicagoWed, 25 Aug 2021 12:47:02 -05001200000021 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   

When do the biden bucks for unemployment stop?
Thats how they will get workers back.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

I hear that OnlyFans is going to ban nudity. That's a lot of young women who are going to have to get real jobs.

They have reversed that decision today. Money talks...

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Around the GR metro, it seems that they're still trying to open new restaurants left & right, but can't get the staff for them. Constant signage everywhere, but no bites.

It ain't the pay rates, people. Get a clue.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

When do the biden bucks for unemployment stop?
Thats how they will get workers back.

The way things are going, never, if anything my guess is funds in various forms will be increased...

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

People have always been crappy to food service workers, but with Covid people are losing their minds.
So many people are ready to crack. I've seen it so much lately.
Mental health is getting to a breaking point. It is weird because when Covid first started it wasn't this bad.

posted on Aug, 25 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

People have always been crappy to food service workers, but with Covid people are losing their minds.
So many people are ready to crack. I've seen it so much lately.
Mental health is getting to a breaking point. It is weird because when Covid first started it wasn't this bad.

Mental health issues from this Covid Bully Culture aside, people are learning the hard way that you can't just browbeat your employees into medical crap they don't want.

I, personally, will NOT be under the employ of anyone who does, voluntarily or otherwise. If they don't have the authority to control what goes in or out of the vag/wang, bladder/intestines, etc, then neither do they have the authority for any damn thing else related to the body. I said this would become the main battle front, and it is. It's not going to ebb, though it may end up being a fast-rising tide rushing the proverbial harbor.

<<   2 >>

join