It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Divide between the rich and the poor.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: DBCowboy

This is really going to put a crimp in my lawn furniture budget.

I bought a dozen pink flamingoes before the market went crazy.

(post by Havamal removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: IAMTAT

This is really going to put a crimp in my lawn furniture budget.

I bought a dozen pink flamingoes before the market went crazy.

Lucky busterd.
My trailer park only allows lawn jockeys...We're pretty exclusive.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

There will always be rich and poor, always a divide between the have's and the have not's but sadly it has accelerated to an unsustainable degree, as long as the disparity between have and have not is sustainable and as long as there are avenues of social mobility allowing people to climb out of poverty and helping the very poorest to survive and live with some level of human dignity it is not a problem but due to faulty economic theory and runaway unregulated capitalism that is not the case.

Laws to ensure wages meet levels that will pay for decent lives, protection for those in extreme poverty and aid to get them out of the rut they would otherwise find themselves in and employment rights' as well as government protection for company's and employers against adverse economic conditions are all GOOD ideas even if some do not see it that way but only when they are implemented correctly.

State support for the poorest MUST be backed up by Job creation, Employer support from the government and incentives to invest in regions were mass unemployment is rampant.

Education and Law Enforcement (but only of JUST Laws), keeping drug dealers and loan sharks from profiteering are necessary so that the poorest get the best chance to get out of the rut and join the most productive in society, part of this is a need for societal mentors.

The problem in places like the US however is that the Poor and keeping them poor are a profitable enterprise for private law enforcement, corrupt laws and private prison systems that funnel far MORE state money into a few wealthy elite hands than would otherwise be funnelled into helping those people, sadly the problem has become endemic and no quick fix is possible there as tradition's have become entrenched in which many of those poor now see authority as there enemy and those in authority see the poor as a blight and as there enemy rather than an opportunity to create micro economy's that would feed into the greater economy of that nation.

Sadly that means the only example they can now set is one NOT to follow in how to deal with poverty and for a nation that was once the dream land of the poor but is now only the dream land of the rich that is a sad fall from grace.

Worse than this many nations see only the top line and think that is the measure of a nations wealth, it is not the measure is the quality of life.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 02:48 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

I don't see how that could be possible unless you live in the middle of no - where land.

How could a house break even over 15 year period? Unless you went in with a tiny down payment... which is almost impossible to do nowadays.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: strongfp

It's Agenda 21.

You'll own nothing and like it. This is leftist policy you're whining about. Stop voting for it.

I really don't think it is just leftist, I really don't.
We'll see, time will tell.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

sadly the problem has become endemic and no quick fix is possible there as tradition's have become entrenched in which many of those poor now see authority as there enemy

Completely agree!

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

This is what happens when you have government handouts that are better than 15/hr jobs. Everything is costing more because of inflation and no one wants to work any more. This is also a result of the lock-downs, shut-downs.

We all said this was going to happen.

*shrugs*

You know what's funny? I haven't asked for a raise in years. I usually just ask for overtime opportunities. If they can't get me hours, I'll find someone who will!

It allows me to live the lifestyle I want to *shrug*

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiaBandetoh

Tell me more of the evils of an HOA?

I am just typically glad for them so my neighbor doesn't build a car on their lawn. But you have my interest atm...

The whole thing about HOA’s is that they take resources that in the past would be used for all, and now they are limited to certain neighborhoods. I know I know, a lot of people are all “if you want to live there buy a house”. Before we go there, think about just 30 or so years ago. There weren’t many HOA’s. Is it better now, or better back then. I know what my answer is. In some third world countries, the divide between the rich and poor is even more obvious. The “HOAs” have shopping, grocery, and a whole little enclave if you will. The people outside live in a different world even if it is just a wall that separates the two.

I recently read a story about a couple of local boys that got lambasted for fishing in a neighborhoods pond without living there (HOA). MY GOODNESS, it broke my heart, what have we come to that we don’t even want kids fishing (instead of all the other crap they could be doing)? Sometime we need to stop and really think about these things and where they are headed.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: dandandat2

I don't see how that could be possible unless you live in the middle of no - where land.

How could a house break even over 15 year period? Unless you went in with a tiny down payment... which is almost impossible to do nowadays.

It happened to a lot of people who bought before the housing bubble crash.

For me it happened in the suburbs of New York City. I put 15% down.

Buying with a tiny down payment is impossible nowadays because it was tiny down payments in part that led to the crash.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

It's Agenda 21.

You'll own nothing and like it. This is leftist policy you're whining about. Stop voting for it.

This is what the speculators are banking on.

This was part of the plan Biden campaigned on, and everyone who voted for him was warned about this type thing.

Atlanta would like to change that. According to the Saporta Report, single-family zoning comprises 63% of Atlanta’s land area. In 2018, Mayor Bottoms said her vision was One Atlanta, a more “affordable, resilient and equitable city.” The Atlanta City Housing Design report operationalized this vision. Unfortunately, the recommendations buried in the text use the city’s policies from 1929 as a model to increase population density. (Yet, the proponents of these policies call themselves progressive.) Their proposals include:

End single-family zoning, allowing any property owner by right to build an additional dwelling unit (called an “Accessory Dwelling Unit,” or ADU) on any lot now zoned for one family residence.
Allow the property owner by right to then subdivide the lot and sell the ADU separately on its own “flag lot,” then presumably build another and repeat the process.
“Loosen” the building requirements, such as size and height, for ADU’s making them cheaper, encouraging the use of modular housing technology.
Reduce minimum lot sizes and minimum set-backs from the street and adjacent properties to get more buildings onto every property.
Allow any property owner within one-half mile of a MARTA station to build an apartment building with up to 12 units, regardless of the neighborhood’s zoning.
End minimum residential parking requirements citywide so that new apartment and condominium buildings would not have to provide parking for their residents requiring them to park on city streets.
End minimum parking requirements for commercial properties, allowing more of them to occupy a given area.

Mayor Bottoms is trying to pre-empt the administration. These are policies from 1929, but this is very much what is coming if the Biden Admin has its way with housing and development nationwide.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   

It's Agenda 21.

This was part of the plan Biden campaigned on, and everyone who voted for him was warned about this type thing.

Atlanta would like to change that. According to the Saporta Report, single-family zoning comprises 63% of Atlanta’s land area. In 2018, Mayor Bottoms said her vision was One Atlanta, a more “affordable, resilient and equitable city.” The Atlanta City Housing Design report operationalized this vision. Unfortunately, the recommendations buried in the text use the city’s policies from 1929 as a model to increase population density. (Yet, the proponents of these policies call themselves progressive.) Their proposals include:

End single-family zoning, allowing any property owner by right to build an additional dwelling unit (called an “Accessory Dwelling Unit,” or ADU) on any lot now zoned for one family residence.
Allow the property owner by right to then subdivide the lot and sell the ADU separately on its own “flag lot,” then presumably build another and repeat the process.
“Loosen” the building requirements, such as size and height, for ADU’s making them cheaper, encouraging the use of modular housing technology.
Reduce minimum lot sizes and minimum set-backs from the street and adjacent properties to get more buildings onto every property.
Allow any property owner within one-half mile of a MARTA station to build an apartment building with up to 12 units, regardless of the neighborhood’s zoning.
End minimum residential parking requirements citywide so that new apartment and condominium buildings would not have to provide parking for their residents requiring them to park on city streets.
End minimum parking requirements for commercial properties, allowing more of them to occupy a given area.

Mayor Bottoms is trying to pre-empt the administration. These are policies from 1929, but this is very much what is coming if the Biden Admin has its way with housing and development nationwide.

1929; when homeowners had the freedom to do what they wanted on their property?

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   

It's Agenda 21.

* Loosen building requirements.
* Build and develop more, More, MORE!
* Let non-engineering folk "Lego stack" their own "modular housing technology".

I'm guessing some of this politospeak was drawn up prior to the condominium complex pancaking in Miami.

More population density.

Encourage building practices in a way to discourage automobile ownership.

Hmmm.

Makes one wonder where they've read this plot before.

All of these policy and position papers around the idea of "clawing the public, kicking and screaming if necessary, into megalopolises" are out there. Nobody is making any attempt to conceal them, so it is very easy to connect the dots and correlate the "You Will Own Nothing and Like It" .... I hesitate to use the term thinkers (except maybe in the Machiavellian/Orwellian sense) ... visionaries with the Bottoms rung politicians who are carrying out these horrific policies.

This is the dystopian future being conceived for your children and children's children.

Alas, my theory on the support base for this psychopathic movement is that it draws extensively from those who have no concerns about their offspring. The type that have no qualms about telling you, you know.... "You Will Own Nothing and Like It"

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I think you're ignoring the posts. Edumakated stated it better than I did, but it's right there, the facts.

I'm not ignoring it, I have a different opinion.

unintended consequences

Human behavior is predictable, so much so insurance companies have algorithms when you are most likely going to die.
You don't think tptb can't manipulate things?

Today it's 100 meal, tomorrow it's $200 of groceries or it's not worth it to let you in, tomorrow it's a credit score of x to let you shop in certain stores.
It's a slippery path.

You are over thinking it. It is just a function of the increased cost. There is no localized conspiracy. Any business can calculate what it cost to serve a customer and it is easy to figure out some customers are "dogs" meaning they cost you money and not worth focusing on. I guarantee that steakhouse ran the numbers and figured out if the check per person isn't $100, they are losing money.

I do agree that there is a widening gap between the have's and have nots. However, I think it is an indirect result of policy which exacerbates the problem particularly in urban areas through increased cost of living.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Big gamble! I wonder if the place is worth $100 for a Steak/side/salad/glass of wine? Where it's located, there are several other nice restaurants, including Steak Houses.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I dont get it? Why dont they just take the few hundred they would spend, and go buy a cooler full of steak. Hell they could even hire somebody to cook it for them, and have left over to pick up a barbecue cooker on the way.

Problem solved.

Anyways, society and monetary system is a giant reduction gear. In the end, none of it is going anywhere. Round and round it goes forever. Well? Not forever. But going by the current systems? At least the next 10 to 13.7 billions years. Aint nobody going anywhere.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Let's not forget the real difference between the rich and the poor classes.

The rich survive off of other people's backs.
The poor will always be self sustaining people.

In the end the poor will always come out on top and control the outcome of a nation in masses.
Unless...genocide.

🤔 hm infact I'm pretty amazed that more people don't see what's going on in the world right now.
It's literally right in front of us.

Also a little tip.
Media is not for news and entertainment.
It's the curtain on the stage.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
This is just inflation working it's way through the system... it has nothing to do with rich or poor. It has to do with the unintended consequences of policies which raised the cost of doing business, particularly in sectors like the restaurant industry.

Unintended?

The people making these decisions know the consequences.

They just don't care.

They are the butcher, we are the cattle.
edit on 3-7-2021 by rounda because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join