It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cargo 737 down in Hawaii

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
A cargo 737-200, operating as TransAir 4810 has crashed off the eastern end of Oahu. The flight departed Honolulu and reported an engine failure. They were cleared directly back to the airport, but told the tower that they had to run checklists. They went out by Kalaeloa to run checklists, and while attempting to return to the airport reported that their other engine was running extremely hot, and that they were probably going to lose that engine as well. While returning to the airport the tower reported a low altitude alert. The aircraft was cleared to land any runway, but they were unable to make the airport and went into the water approximately two miles off Kalaeloa. Kalaeloa is home of the Barbers Point Coast Guard Air Station, which was notified and responded. No word yet on how hard the aircraft hit the water, or on the crew. The crash occurred at approximately 1:45am.

bnonews.com...

apnews.com...

www.usnews.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

2 pilots alive after plane crashes few miles off coast of Hawaii

One pilot was taken to a trauma center and the second is on a rescue boat heading to a fire station, officials said.

The cause of the crash was not immediately clear.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

Thanks, hadn't seen that yet. I've been listening to the audio.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

Some good news at least.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Both engines.
Maybe an issue with their fuel?

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Nowadays, It's sad that I automatically wonder what the cargo was, and if there was important documents or something on board.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I don't really understand why they didn't just immediately return to the airport.

Seems like this crash could have been easily avoidable had they not been required to follow procedure.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tekaran
Nowadays, It's sad that I automatically wonder what the cargo was, and if there was important documents or something on board.

Or if the beaches and ocean-life will be negatively effected by the Oil, Fuel, and any hazardous cargo.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Heavy weight landings require some setting up. I don't know what their weight was at takeoff, but a lot of times interisland flights would load up on fuel in Honolulu to make several flights before having to refuel again, so at least the first flight would be heavier.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

That's one thing that's been brought up.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Then I suppose part of their checklist may have actually been to dump some of their fuel before returning to land....

I forgot about that. I was just thinking the checklist was to attempt to get the engine restarted.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Maybe Phage will pop in with some local news or personal wisdom?

One can hope, right?

Hope you are well & happy Phage, whether here or not.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Two pilots have been seriously injured after a large cargo plane crashed into the ocean off Hawaii, local officials say. The crew had reported engine trouble and was trying to make an emergency landing when it ditched into the water.

The accident happened at 1:45 a.m. on Friday when Rhoades Aviation Flight T4810, a Boeing 737 with two people on board, went down about 3 miles south off Kalaeloa Airport. The aircraft had taken off from Honolulu International Airport about 12 minutes earlier.

bnonews.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Nunyabizisit

My buddy lives on JRF, where they were trying to land. He said the local news was pretty sparse in what they had a few hours after it happened. I lived above JRF for many years. It's probably good they didn't make it, because they would have had to go over Campbell Industrial Park to land. Lots of refineries, and things that don't like planes crashing into them out there.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Nunyabizisit

My buddy lives on JRF, where they were trying to land. He said the local news was pretty sparse in what they had a few hours after it happened. I lived above JRF for many years. It's probably good they didn't make it, because they would have had to go over Campbell Industrial Park to land. Lots of refineries, and things that don't like planes crashing into them out there.

Thank you for that, was actually wondering if pilots intentionally put it down in the water as best remaining option.

My previous post was mostly a shout out for Phage, in case he lurks by to see what we are saying about something local to him, not a request that he provide us some missing information (though he likely could).

I just miss that magnificent mind.

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   
One pilot was airlifted to Queens Medical Center in Honolulu and was in critical condition. The other was listed as serious condition, with a head injury. He was taken off an HFD boat in a wheelchair. The pilot that was airlifted was found floating on the tail section, and went in the water as it sank. The other was found floating on some packages, and declined airlift. He was picked up by a Fire Department boat. The aircraft sank in approximately 150 feet of water.
edit on 7/2/2021 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   

"declined airlift"

Yeah, that sounds like the kind of pilot that would put down in the water a little early to avoid potential of large scale disaster on land.

Just complete speculation though.

Thank you everything you post on ATS, past and future!

posted on Jul, 2 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Interview with the crew of the MH-65 that was on scene.

The rescue taking place.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I have not got a great phone signal so the videos might already say this; the pilot found on the tail was reportedly conscious and responsive, but unable to verbalise communication to his rescuers.

Poor man must have been absolutely shattered to be in that state.

posted on Jul, 3 2021 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TwistedPsycho
I have not got a great phone signal so the videos might already say this; the pilot found on the tail was reportedly conscious and responsive, but unable to verbalise communication to his rescuers.

Poor man must have been absolutely shattered to be in that state.

Maybe an injury to either his mouth, Jaw or brain. Poor fellow, Sounds as though he has his wits about him though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join