It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient large-scale brewery discovered in Egypt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 05:07 PM
link   
From BBC News:

Archaeologists in Egypt have unearthed what could be the world's oldest known beer factory, dating back about 5,000 years.

The brewery is likely to date back to the era of King Narmer, according to the Supreme Council of Antiquities.

Beer is thought to have been produced on a large scale, with about 22,400 litres (5,000 gallons) made at a time.

Article here.

Incredible builders, great taste in makeup, and tons of BEER??

If there's such thing as reincarnation back into time I wouldn't mind checking out Ancient Egypt. Yeah it'd mean dragging 60 ton stones under the Nile sun (as our historical record has it) but you take good with the bad.

edit on 15-2-2021 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   
It's true!

Ancient Egypt was a highly advanced civilization!

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 05:44 PM
link   
What they don't like to admit is that the pyramids were actually designed to be cubes,but everyone was drunk and so we ended up with pointy things instead.

edit on 15/2/2021 by Silcone Synapse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gb540

Poor bastards didn’t have carbonation though. Flat beer is disgusting.

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   

How do they know it was beer they were making and not a distilled spirit.?

Fermentation & Distilling share a common pre-process, that being the mashing grains and water.

edit on 15 2 2021 by myselfaswell because: whatevs

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Soooo Twins movie is right😊

Assyria

A Semitic-speaking realm, Assyria was centred on the Tigris in Upper Mesopotamia, in modern terms, northern Iraq, northeast Syria, and southeast Turkey. The Assyrians came to rule powerful empires in several periods. Making up a substantial part of the greater Mesopotamian "cradle of civilization", which included Sumer, the Akkadian Empire, and Babylonia, Assyria reached the height of technological, scientific and cultural achievements for its time. Starting around 900 BC, the Assyrians began campaigning to expand their empire and to dominate other people. They conquered, exacted tribute, and built new fortified towns, palaces and temples. By constant warfare the Assyrians created an empire[13] that stretched from eastern Libya and Cyprus in the East Mediterranean to Iran, and from present-day Armenia and Azerbaijan in the Transcaucasia to the Arabian Peninsula and Egypt in the south.[14]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Edit: but was it carbonated?

edit on 15-2-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

They may have. Pressure fermentation naturally carbonates the wort/beer.

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

True...
But worse yet, was the beer cold after cutting grass on a 114°F day in the Middle East?😢

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I wonder if it was similar in ancient Egypt to the old days in Britain when people would drink beer all day because it was safer to be an alcoholic than to risk death from drinking the water..

But with hindsight-was that the real reason?I mean the water is OK now yet many still continue the old ways.

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I don’t know what’s worse — warm or flat beer. It was probably both. I like my beer almost frozen.
edit on 15-2-2021 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

But worse yet, was the beer cold after cutting grass on a 114°F day in the Middle East?😢

Apparently though, the poms still drink warm beer till this very day... maybe as a sacrifice to tribute the ancestors who lacked the technology of refrigeration.

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I know an old guy who lived to be 100. Need I say more?
edit on 15-2-2021 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name.

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

They most likely did have slightly 'fizzy brews'. Even just corking a rather air tight vessel and given the right conditions will give some decent results.

Human's sure love their booze!

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
What they don't like to admit is that the pyramids were actually designed to be cubes,but everyone was drunk and so we ended up with pointy things instead.

Phage and I figured this out awhile ago while discussing pyramidal structures in Sumeria.

The pyramids were actually built as large beer coolers for the aliens.

edit on 15-2-2021 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Apparently though, the poms still drink warm beer till this very day... maybe as a sacrifice to tribute the ancestors who lacked the technology of refrigeration.

Or it may just be that a good beer tastes good warm.

Not like the crap beer America has today.

We chill it to work around the gag reflex.

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 07:53 PM
link   

That, and warm

In all seriousness though..it's not surprising, man has been enjoying a buzz since the dawn of..man!

edit on 15-2-2021 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I read an article where the pharaohs collected grains to make beer, the beer was given to the workers as payment. Not only did it cause conflict between the men and the women, it also created a grain shortage and lots of women and children starved according to the article. The info came from some ancient manuscripts found somewhere. The guy was given power over the women by the pharohs because the wives started nagging, they could get stoned if they complained.

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Well egyptians enjoyed their beer. Even better it was supplied by the state. Be nice if the government bought my beer.

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 11:16 PM
link   
As a former homebrewer I honestly wonder. Could here be any chance of extracting any of the yeast strains they used? Yeast is very very robust and can withstand a tremendous amount of stress. Extreme (boiling or freezing) temperatures will kill it but if buried?

One can only wish lol

Yes, I know it's not very likely but a man can dream, ya know!!??

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

In all seriousness though..it's not surprising, man has been enjoying a buzz since the dawn of..man!

And made to feel guilty about it since the dawn of women.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join