It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the global fight against landmines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
United Nations campaign designed to get the public involved in the global fight against landmines is apparently too explosive for American television, as it depicts children being blown apart on a soccer field.
this made me think alot.

www.wnd.com...
the site is not graphic but the video on the site is sad.
the video closes with a tag line reading: "If there were landmines here, would you stand for them anywhere? Help the U.N. eradicate landmines everywhere."

[edit on 20-3-2005 by slayerfan]

[edit on 20-3-2005 by slayerfan]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
United Nations campaign designed to get the public involved in the global fight against landmines is apparently too explosive for American television, as it depicts children being blown apart on a soccer field.
this made me think alot.

www.wnd.com...
the site is not graphic but the video on the site is sad.
the video closes with a tag line reading: "If there were landmines here, would you stand for them anywhere? Help the U.N. eradicate landmines everywhere."

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
sorry for the double post, but did anybody wacth the video and what did you think?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
At my school a couple months ago there were alot of posters about landmines. It showed an african man without arms and said he had lost tem in a landmine. It was supposed to be an awareness thing. They dont have to aware me. I know about all the landmines in Bosia. We gotta get rid of all of them.

P.S. I dont want to watch a kid get blown up

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Land mines are a BIG problem, because of many reasons. Often, you don't have to step on them to initiate an explosion, sometimes they're so old the explosives decay and become instable. Add to that the fact that many people in poorer nations try to salvage them for scrap metal, and end up getting blown up in the process.

Another, less talked about but similarly present problem: unexploded ordinance. Bomblets, shells, and what not that get dropped but fail to explode on impact. Children play with these things (often they're brightly coloured, like toys
) and they can act the same as land minds if disturbed with hands or farm implements.

Imagine if you were a farmer, trying to clear some land or till the soil for the spring planting, and out of nowhere this enormous noise and rush of air, and suddenly, you have no legs, your oxen are dead, and the farm implements you saved for years to buy are destroyed.

Unfortunately there's no good way to prevent this from happening. Unless the armies of the world agreed to stop using explosive munitions, and that's just not going to happen.

I personally would prefer we go back to hand-to-hand combat, single combat, champions, honour. But what are the chances of that happening?

join